New coach search...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I haven't read through the 100+ pages of threads ---

What are the odds we land Marshall? Anybody in the "know" know?
There is better than a 5% chance that we get Marshall. :) A lot of rumors but it looks very, very promising since Battle has been in Wichita most of the day talking with Marshall. I've heard $4.1/year for 6 years is the offer, possibly some facility upgrades but nothing specific.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Saw a very encouraging post over on TI. Even though it's not copyrighted or premium, I'm not going to C&P. As most know, the site owner is an old and good friend of mine. A respected poster, who has actually done some contract work for CSS, had a conversation with CSS, who was eating at the same restaurant. He didn't bring up the Bama job, Smart did. He said that the Bama job was the best out there and everyone knew that it was just a matter of time until Bama applied the football blueprint to basketball. Also, Smart made it clear that the UTx job was on a different, lower level, which I found very interesting, in view of the fact that Smart is acknowledged to be the primary target for UT. As always, take it FWIW. It is just another message board, when all's said and done. This particular guy is a long term and generally reliable poster, though...
Earle, if in fact css did make these comments, maybe he should be the coach we pursue. Seems to show a lot of respect for Bama.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Earle, if in fact css did make these comments, maybe he should be the coach we pursue. Seems to show a lot of respect for Bama.
It's too late for Alabama to move away from Marshall, also, we have every reason to believe he holds the Alabama program in the same esteem. However, Smart has been the #2 option in my opinion, (followed by the much maligned Barnes, heh), but with the interest Texas appears to be showing it could be too little too late anyway. Alabama looks to have their guy and if so, I'm very pleased.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
There is better than a 5% chance that we get Marshall. :) A lot of rumors but it looks very, very promising since Battle has been in Wichita most of the day talking with Marshall. I've heard $4.1/year for 6 years is the offer, possibly some facility upgrades but nothing specific.
Thank you for the update.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Rick Barnes is expected to get the job at Tennessee according to Al.com and I'm real intriqued by that.
If Alabama lands Marshall, that means three SEC programs just added coaches that have been to the final four. A list was posted, of something like 31 coaches in the past couple decades that have been to the final four. The SEC adding 3 in a relatively short period of time is pretty impressive.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Rick Barnes is expected to get the job at Tennessee according to Al.com and I'm real intriqued by that.
One of 13 Division one coaches with over 600 wins.
Over 400 wins at Texas against a hundred and something losses.
A final four appearance and several Sweet Sixteens.
The guy can flat out recruit.
I'm not completely sold on his X's and O's but he can recruit like crazy...or maybe those Texas Boosters can :)

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Why, 'cause he'll write his memoirs someday about moving from one former "football school" to another? Barnes may even compare himself to Houston Nutt in career trajectory - speaking of whom, if we may digress from the Marshall Plan, what's happened to Houston's brother Dicky at Southeastern Mo. State and was it bloodless or did he get a better job? (But not the Alabama job, alas...)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
@JonRothstein BREAKING: VCU's Shaka Smart is in discussions with Texas about its head coaching vacancy, sources told @CBSSports. Story coming.

If Shaka goes to Texas, that means Bama better make sure it has Marshall.
The options are dwindling, but I guess that goes both ways. Marshall and Alabama really could be the last two standing, but if Smart really does like Alabama a lot, he could just stall and in the very least get more money if Alabama and Texas are left fighting over him. Doesn't seem like he needs to rush things (unless that Pat Forde article is right, but... at this point it doesn't seem like Marshall is drooling over the Texas job).

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
@JonRothstein BREAKING: VCU's Shaka Smart is in discussions with Texas about its head coaching vacancy, sources told @CBSSports. Story coming.

If Shaka goes to Texas, that means Bama better make sure it has Marshall.
Boy you got that right. My big concern initially was that Marshall would turn us down and Bama fans would be gravely disappointed if we hired Smart, or Howland, or Barnes, or whoever, which I thought would have been unfair to the new coach.
Now, it's like if we don't get Marshall we're starting from scratch and three pretty darn darn prospects are gone.
I'll say this though. I had the privilege to meet Bill Battle back in the 80's when he was in business for himself or in a partnership, whatever. I was working for a company building a hospital and I think his company provided the windows. Hard to remember.
At any rate he's a very engaging and dynamic personality.
If he and Marshall are still talking at this hour, there's about a 90% chance that we're going to hire him, in my humble opinion.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.