New coach search...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
The longer this drags out the more pessimistic I get... If we still don't know anything by tomorrow at noon, I'm giving up on the whole thing and going with the assumption that we just won't have a coach for basketball next year.
As optimistic as I usually am I am kind of feeling this way. I'm getting very impatient lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Quote from Shocker Net forum referred to earlier:

The offer from Bama is 4.2M for 6 years. Gregg has till Friday to decide. Word is Lynn and kids don't want to go. Gregg is looking at it as one more move before he retires, so it better be the right financial package. He doesn't want to coach forever. The cons for going to Bama are no real fan commitment to basketball; bad team next year; 2-3 year rebuilding plan; SEC is the SEC, cheating is almost an excepted practice...Bama fans probably alright with it if it yields results. WSU can probably get to 2.1 or 2.2M base, with incentives bringing it to 2.5+. The only reason he leaves is for the money. How much do you really need Gregg? Don't be a gun for hire. Be our coach where you are loved and respected. You have a great and predictable gig here. Don't screw up happy.

This guy seems like he has it all figured out, especially about Bama. We shall see.
No way I believe the part about his wife not wanting him to take it. If the offer is over 4 million a year. I'm pretty sure his wife would want him to take it.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
My pessimism is kicking in as well. The longer this goes without a response, the more likely I feel he isn't coming. The amount of silence from both sides is very interesting

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I don't believe so...
Agree 100%... Why in the heck would he want to deal with T Boone? Dealing with T Boone would almost be as bad as dealing with the UT boosters.... Maybe worse b/c T Boone is grouchy with the price of oil......

I believe Marshall has 2 great options... 1. Stay where he is and be a regular NCAA tourney team that more often than not is a 4-6 seed. 2. Go to Alabama where Saban has already set the bar regarding total control and being left alone (relatively speaking) by the boosters. Marshall could have the same thing and potentially have BAMA in the tourney 8 out of 10 years and more often than not, be a Sweet 16 team with an elite 8 or Final 4 mixed in once or twice.... If he got to the point of being a top 25 team annually, he would get whatever he wants just like Saban!

Hoping for option #2

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We'll find out when and if a meeting is called for his players. So far, I haven't heard anything that would indicate there is even a chance a meeting is being held.

Wichita is going thru what we went thru with Saban every year.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
No way I believe the part about his wife not wanting him to take it. If the offer is over 4 million a year. I'm pretty sure his wife would want him to take it.

They've got two kids in high school, as I recall. Makes any move far more disruptive.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
For me, the part where I start to get nervous is if we haven't heard anything today. He'll have had a chance to notify the team, to notify anyone who needs to be notified. If he doesn't, that seems like he hasn't made up his mind and of course that's not good news. I don't see cause for alarm as of yet though because there's still minor details that could be attended to.

I do, really, really hope that the Battle meeting wasn't just one of those Shula crying at Tebow's house sort of scenarios. I would have hoped he went there to close the deal.

KittyKatKiller

3rd Team
Mar 3, 2011
They've got two kids in high school, as I recall. Makes any move far more disruptive.
Their son graduates this year, so that's is no problem. Sure they could swing the thing with no problem. Then where would you rather you two kids have an education at ? Bama or WSU.

I think this has to wind up today, tomorrow at the latest. Stringing this out is bad for both programs.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Is it possible that the delay is WSU trying to scramble and put together a package to keep him, kind of like West Virginia did back during the Rich Rod fiasco?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Is it possible that the delay is WSU trying to scramble and put together a package to keep him, kind of like West Virginia did back during the Rich Rod fiasco?
I'm sure he will give an opportunity for them to give their best counter-offer. He is happy there so it is the right thing to do. In the end I think the opportunity at Bama will be greater than it will be to stay at WSU. Or at least I hope he sees it the way I do. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.