New coach search...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Anybody know what Wichita's athletic budget is like? Assuming money matters to Marshall, I wonder if Wichita would/could match Bama's best offer. I kinda doubt they could..
Word is the Koch brothers will do what they can to keep Marshall at Wichita.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Anybody know what Wichita's athletic budget is like? Assuming money matters to Marshall, I wonder if Wichita would/could match Bama's best offer. I kinda doubt they could..
Here are 2 articles that I found that indicates WSU's athletic budget is probably a drop in the bucket compared to UA's:

Report: Wichita State actually lost money by making the Final Four

Dollars and sense for Wichita State

For the 2011-12 season, Wichita State made $123,100 off sales of its licensed products. That rose to $400,000 last season and is projected to rise even higher this year.

Then there's what the Shockers no longer have to pay for.

The school's new deal with Nike doesn't provide Wichita State with any cash, but it does give the Shockers an annual allotment of 125 pairs of shoes a year, 25 home and away jerseys, 25 warmups and 25 traveling bags.
And this:

Division I Teams By Athletic Expenses (2013)

8 $109,071,200 Alabama (SEC) Crimson Tide Tuscaloosa, AL Coleman Coliseum Anthony Grant (since 2009) Site, Schedule, School
134 $22,676,172 Wichita State (VALLEY) Shockers Wichita, KS Charles Koch Arena Gregg Marshall (since 2007) Site, Schedule, School

Last edited:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
WSU's athletic budget is about 20% of what ours is, but almost all of that is designated to basketball. The problem is, they don't need an athletic department budget to fund things...they have outside sources that can sweeten any deal to the point it makes it hard to compete with.

Marshall is the top candidate, and I HOPE I eat lots of crow on this, but he's staying at WSU. I also don't think he would have really taken the Missouri job last year as some have said. I think that is agent posturing ala Jimmy Sexton. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong on this.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Here are 2 articles that I found that indicates WSU's athletic budget is probably a drop in the bucket compared to UA's:

Report: Wichita State actually lost money by making the Final Four

Dollars and sense for Wichita State
I know the Koch brothers will try to keep him there, but imagine you are committing to an annual payment of 2 or 3 million a year to keep him there until the guy retires. Will they make that kind of pledge? On the other hand we could pay him 6 million a year and not break a sweat internally. Fortunes sometimes come and go so does Marshall want to pander to the 2 big dogs there to keep them happy or does he take the sure thing. Also say WSU has a few lean years, Are the Koch brothers going to continue to supplement his salary? You can see where it gets a little iffy with a mid major like WSU.

If he comes to Bama he will want for nothing if he is successful. I've said this before, but basketball is going to just explode when we get a quality coach. There will be no revenue problem.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Koch Industries had $115 billion in revenue in 2013. I think they can match it.
You missed my point, every game we play is on national tv. There is nothing the Koch brother can do about that. Plus there is the opportunity for some big-time conference matchups that will be hyped big-time by ESPN, UK, UF, Arky, etc. AU will be improving under Pearl and MSU is making a huge splash by hiring Howland. Throw in some good non-conference opponents and the potential exists to have UA basketball be in some big-time games on national tv several times a year. Once conference play start Wichita State is not going to be in too many big-time tv games. Here are the conference members:

Wichita St 17-1 -- 30-4
Northern Iowa 16-2 1 31-4
Illinois St 11-7 6 22-12
Indiana St 11-7 6 15-16
Evansville 9-9 8 20-12
Loyola (Chi) 8-10 9 20-13
Drake 6-12 11 9-22
Missouri St 5-13 12 11-20
Southern Illinois 4-14 13 12-21
Bradley 3-15 14 9-24

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I know the Koch brothers will try to keep him there, but imagine you are committing to an annual payment of 2 or 3 million a year to keep him there until the guy retires. Will they make that kind of pledge? On the other hand we could pay him 6 million a year and not break a sweat internally. Fortunes sometimes come and go so does Marshall want to pander to the 2 big dogs there to keep them happy or does he take the sure thing. Also say WSU has a few lean years, Are the Koch brothers going to continue to supplement his salary? You can see where it gets a little iffy with a mid major like WSU.

If he comes to Bama he will want for nothing if he is successful. I've said this before, but basketball is going to just explode when we get a quality coach. There will be no revenue problem.
I'm in complete agreement. If Marshall is willing to leave then there is no way WSU can match what we can offer (salary + resources) regardless of how much the Koch brothers may or may not contribute.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Just saw this article about Marshalls agent researching Alabama

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/gregg_marshalls_agent_to_begin.html#incart_sms_app

Things are starting to get interesting
Umm, no. That's an agent's job - to drumbeat for his client and tout his value. Otherwise, he wouldn't have a client for long.

This quote from the article

"Now that I've read those reports, I'll certainly just kind of look into the situation"
has cursory but obligatory response to a desperate media question written all over it. Nothing in any way shape or contract formulation that at this point would catch Marshall's interest. Or his agent's - except for doing what agents do, which is drumbeating for their clients however tepid they might be in going about it.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
"Solomon declined to say whether Alabama has already made contact to express interest in the 52-year old Marshall,"

that is the most important quote in the story. He would have said flat out no, if he had not talked to someone.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
"Solomon declined to say whether Alabama has already made contact to express interest in the 52-year old Marshall,"

that is the most important quote in the story. He would have said flat out no, if he had not talked to someone.
I agree

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Didn't someone once say "I am not going to be the coach at Alabama."?

How did that work out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Listen he makes 1.7 million a year now which is very good money, but not life changing money. 3.5 or 4million per is life changing money IMHO. He will no longer have to be concerned about money again and could retire a very wealthy man. Huge difference. These guys have egos too so making that kind of money is in the very least tempting just so he could say he is one the highest paid coaches in college basketball. All the articles I have seen point to him having a pretty big ego. The only question is his wife because we all know if mama ain't happy, no one is happy. This could potentially be a Saban like hiring if we can pull it off.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You missed my point, every game we play is on national tv. There is nothing the Koch brother can do about that. Plus there is the opportunity for some big-time conference matchups that will be hyped big-time by ESPN, UK, UF, Arky, etc. AU will be improving under Pearl and MSU is making a huge splash by hiring Howland. Throw in some good non-conference opponents and the potential exists to have UA basketball be in some big-time games on national tv several times a year. Once conference play start Wichita State is not going to be in too many big-time tv games. Here are the conference members:

Wichita St 17-1 -- 30-4
Illinois St 11-7 6 22-12
Indiana St 11-7 6 15-16
Evansville 9-9 8 20-12
Drake 6-12 11 9-22
Bradley 3-15 14 9-24
I see that point. I thought your point was the SEC Network revenue would be greater than what the Koch brothers could provide.

Personally, not a fan of Marshall's agent talking. That's not his job unless he's just trying to get Wichita State to offer up more money. Why even acknowledge the reports?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Here are the conference members:

Wichita St 17-1 -- 30-4
Illinois St 11-7 6 22-12
Indiana St 11-7 6 15-16
Evansville 9-9 8 20-12
Drake 6-12 11 9-22
Bradley 3-15 14 9-24
Careful, you don't want to overly disparage the conference or its members. After all, those are the primary opponents Marshall has been beating and his reputation is built upon.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Careful, you don't want to overly disparage the conference or its members. After all, those are the primary opponents Marshall has been beating and his reputation is built upon.
He's beaten us 3 times. Hes been to the final 4 and made the big dance all, but 2 years he's been coaching. I'd say he is a major upgrade.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.