New coach search...

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
So reading all the bits and pieces from different sources, the offer is on the table and we are waiting on Marshall to say yes or no. The answer should come no later than Sunday. This may or may not be the truth, just what I've gathered. Quick question, do schools still ask permission to speak to a coach under contract or has that gone by the wayside?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It's due back in Tuscaloosa this evening at 7:40. Maybe it's needed there so it can be ready to fly to Wichita, KS in the morning. :)
The Blue Angels are in town this weekend. Maybe have one of them land and have Marshall get out wearing a Bama shirt.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
The Blue Angels are in town this weekend. Maybe have one of them land and have Marshall get out wearing a Bama shirt.
Honestly, that sounds like something Bruce Pearl would do. And, I mean that in a good way. In addition to being a good coach, Pearl is a showman who actively promotes his program. I hate to say it, but credit where credit is due.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Good article, but they can get much higher than they already are. Their athletic dept would lose money if they paid him 1 million more. WSU is about at about break even now. Where is the cash going to come from? Are the Koch brothers going to cough up 3.5 million a year for a basketball coach?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If that's true, that is indeed "a crazy contract," and we'd better be strapping on our bullet-proof vests.
If it's true it's a totally insane contract. I hope it isn't true. No coach who hasn't won nor played for a national title merits that much money. That's a million more than Urban Meyer made last year, and he's won three national titles. That would be ridiculous.

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Rumor we've offered $5.25 Mil for 6 years to Marshall.
Sorry CGM isn't worth that much. That's more than Krzyewski makes at Duke.

"Sweet sixteen's" mean little these days, for that kind of money we better get a couple of "elite 8's" and a couple of "final 4's"...I wonder if CGM can guarantee that.
Here's an idea...we pay him 3.5 million a year, which is double what he makes now, and give him a million dollar bonus for an "elite 8" appearance, another million for a "final 4", and another million for a natty.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If it's true it's a totally insane contract. I hope it isn't true. No coach who hasn't won nor played for a national title merits that much money. That's a million more than Urban Meyer made last year,a nd he's won three national titles. That would be ridiculous.
For one of the first times on this thread, Sip, I agree. Why triple his current salary when we can double it first?

Interesting excerpt from al.com on Texas as a possible competitor for Marshall or whomever:

"Texas would be one of the athletic departments with the financial resources to compete with Alabama should it come down to a bidding war. It spent $9.5 million on men's basketball last year compared to Alabama's $6.5 million, according to the U.S. Department of Education. Texas' total athletics budget was $145.9 million in 2013-14 while Alabama's was $115 million."

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

"Sweet sixteen's" mean little these days, for that kind of money we better get a couple of "elite 8's" and a couple of "final 4's"...I wonder if CGM can guarantee that.
Here's an idea...we pay him 3.5 million a year, which is double what he makes now, and give him a million dollar bonus for an "elite 8" appearance, another million for a "final 4", and another million for a natty.
I like that bonus structure and I think we would gladly lay out those bonuses.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
For one of the first times on this thread, Sip, I agree. Why triple his current salary when we can double it first?
Exactly. Or pay him 2.5 with a 500K bonus to win the conference regular season, 250K to win the SEC Tournament, 100K to make the NCAA Tournament field, 100K for each game we advance, 500K to play for the national title, and 1 million to win it! If he did all the above he could make a maximum of 5.4 million, and would deserve every penney, for a job very well done.
But to guarantee him 5.25 just to show up?? Now way would I do it if I was A.D.. I'm not though so we'll see.
I still think it's insane.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Does the rumored salary seem high? Yeah, it does.

However, Gregg Marshall is one of 31 coaches to make the final four since 2000.
He's one of seven coaches since 1976 to coach his team to an undefeated regular season.
He's one of the winning-est coaches in the last 5 seasons.

Also worth noting, that $5.25 million very well could include all bonuses and compensation.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Does the rumored salary seem high? Yeah, it does.

However, Gregg Marshall is one of 31 coaches to make the final four since 2000.
He's one of seven coaches since 1976 to coach his team to an undefeated regular season.
He's one of the winning-est coaches in the last 5 seasons.

Also worth noting, that $5.25 million very well could include all bonuses and compensation.
Or that rumor may not even be true.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Coach K makes about 9.6 a year plus outside income I am sure.. We'd be number 3 or 4 at that number. Listen, if that is what it takes, I am all for it. We are irrelevant right now, this brings into the conversation at least. It is not like athletics or even basketball is losing money. WSU can't offer the exposure we get on the SEC network either. He wants to compete for national titles and to do that he needs access to the best recruits. He probably has hit a ceiling of what he can accomplish there. He will be able to recruit better players at Alabama. Though for that kind of dough, I would have asked asked Izzo to the dance 1st.

Also, something else, the power 5 conferences may eventually succeed from the NCAA. That would make all these mid majors irrelevant.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.