New coach search...

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I just don't see any of the names being floated firing up the fan base if hired or frankly being up to the job at hand. Take away his past connection to Bama and Prohm would not even be in the mix IMO. And if we were going to go with one of these guys, then I don't even see why we should have fired Anthony Grant.

I still think right now we primarily need a seasoned HC that has broad coaching experience, including with programs in distress/disarray and that can steady the ship. Bring him in and give him a budget to hire some young recruiters on his staff and wants to coach 4-6 more years and let him rebuild the program. Going the up and comer route is too much of a roll of the dice right now.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
You know what, I am so tired of this, and love the Capstone so much...I will take the job..right now.. for $900,000. No questions, I will be in Tuscaloosa tomorrow. And we can save the travel expenses for any search.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
By the way, will someone notify me when there's finally some good news on the football board? This has been a painful off-season.
Here's the difference, Doc... our football coach will produce a national contender, no matter what the spring obstacles are... Would be really nice if we had head coaches in every sport who could do the same. Be happy, we do in some..Basket and Base...excluded

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I think there are a lot of people that can coach it is a matter of who can recruit the best players.
Might be more a matter of both. Couple years ago, seem to recall Calipari was telling the Bham Tip-off Club that he harped on the theme of having his team play defense like they were playing for Saban. Must've worked, because as the tournament began, The NY Times argued, convincingly with stats bearing out, that UK was the best defensive team of the last 1,000 teams to finish in Top 25 (40 years' worth).

PS Jay Wright? Can he get beyond a first-round game (or the occasional 2d round game) in the Dance? Be glad 'Bama ain't getting a chance to find out.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Hopefully the Easter Bunny will leave a new Head Coach in Bill Battle's Easter Basket in the morning. Or at least phone number of his agent...

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I am not angry with Gregg Marshall. I hope he is successful and has a happy life. That said, I am really tired of hearing all about him and what we did right / wrong. How about those who want to continue the GM discussion start another thread. Let this one focus on the way ahead. Thanks.

B

BroadwayJoe777

You know what, I am so tired of this, and love the Capstone so much...I will take the job..right now.. for $900,000. No questions, I will be in Tuscaloosa tomorrow. And we can save the travel expenses for any search.
I'll take it for $35,000. No questions. But in my case, they would be getting what they paid for...:biggrin2:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What do you think Saban is? What do you think we tried to sell Marshall on?

As far as Marshall goes he's probably stuck there now. His stock won't get much higher because he'***** the ceiling there. He won't be able to say he can compete with the tough conference giants because he has no conference giants. He chickened out, honestly. Why would an elite destination school choose a coach that backed out of stiffer competition in a weaker basketball conference? Can anybody tell me that Duke is going to come calling a coach that hasn't proven he can claw high school blue chips from Cal at Kentucky? I'm not slamming the guy personally, he seems like the kind of guy I wanted to see be a coach here, but does anybody agree with what I see here?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
sorry, but if he keeps winning 25-30 games, you bet he'll get his shot. The rest of the country is not blaming him in the least for turning us down. He got a nice raise. He gets to stay at a better program at a basketball only school -- a program he built from scratch. And he'll remain on the short list for every big-time opening for years to come.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
I don't think that would make Bama a destination job, but it would make the next hire MUCH easier, and would cement our place as #1 SEC West job.

That being said, I still don't see Avery Johnson coaching in college-not that I wouldn't like to have him.
If we thought CAG was a control freak... The MAVS quit on AJ and his controlling/micro managing.... His MAVS teams weren't known for playing D either... There is a reason they won a ring after he left.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.