New coach search...

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
If he's the choice, here's to him becoming (on-court, success-wise) a basketball version of Pete Carroll.

Maybe he's just the guy we need. The college game may suit him just fine.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No offense taken. I will withhold any judgement and trust Bill Batltle's decision. As I said in an earlier post, I supported the hiring of Dubose so my record is not stellar. I hope he can make the transition to college bball.
That's the big question whether or not he can adjust his style and philosophy to fit the college game. I have no idea if he will be successful or not but I would be happy with the hire more so than any of the other mentioned candidates..

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Let's hope he's learned enough to let the offense flow. Would love to see the Alabama team from the beginning of the year and the last two games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I think he'd do just fine. This stuff about him being a control freak doesn't bother me as long as he runs an effective offensive system. After all, Saban is the ultimate control freak. Saban is very good about adjusting to his players and hopefully Johnson would do the same.

Lets face it, college basketball is about recruiting and we' d have a guy who could get in almost any kids home and high school. We'd have chance to get kids we might not otherwise get a sniff from even if Marshall had been here. In college, he'll have to teach much more than in the pro's and hopefully keep Pettway to learn the lay of the land.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
If we do hire Avery, what is the over/under on how long it will take our players to get sick of his style of coaching?

I'll be generous, and say 2 seasons.

Better hope he recruits a PG that can closely follow directions.

P. C. Pachyderm

All-SEC
Sep 28, 2006
Pell City, AL
IMO, Avery is the best choice of the names being bandied about. With Pearl to the south, Howland to the west, and Barnes to the north, guys like Prohm and White--who in other times might make a nice little hire--would be viewed as lightweights, not only by the fan bases but by recruits in the southeast.

Avery is a risk (they all are) but he is a presence at least equal to Pearl/Howland/Barnes, and for various reasons I would pick him over all three of them.

P. C. Pachyderm

All-SEC
Sep 28, 2006
Pell City, AL
(I'm assuming Archie Miller is off the table. If not, I would be good with him,too. Not quite the press conference pizzazz or familiarity to recruits as Avery, but no lightweight either and a somewhat proven college coach.)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we do hire Avery, what is the over/under on how long it will take our players to get sick of his style of coaching?

I'll be generous, and say 2 seasons.

Better hope he recruits a PG that can closely follow directions.
Big -- really big -- difference between pros and kids.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Are you saying you would not take Phil Jackson or Pat Riley? Neither have coached in college. But who in their right mind would not think they could coach the college game? AJ is no comparison to them but if the guy can coach the pros he can coach and bring in recruits in college IMO.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agreed. I don't know when collegiate recruiting and coaching experience ceased to be important.
He has plenty of experience coaching at the highest level of basketball. The recruiting part I agree with somewhat but this isn't football where he has to manage around 100 players and recruit 50 or more kids each year. I would have preferred Marshall over Avery but out of the names left that are being discussed I would prefer Avery over Archie and the others..

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
This is a good point. Some have alluded to him being Grant 2.0 based on his micromanaging style. However, Avery's personality is much different and his controlling coaching may fit the college ranks better.

Trying to find the bright side!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I just don't get this on any level or from any perspective. I've just never seen AJ ever and I mean EVER mention collegiate coaching EVER. It would be just an amazing change for him on every level. Maybe that's what he's looking for. Sometimes you just need change. I can't think of many that would be more profound but at this point it really doesn't matter. I don't see him as a long termer at all though. Either he'll flop or he'll succeed and bolt for the pros. That said we need a shot big time and I suspect that is what BB is thinking. If it springboards us back onto the national radar I'm all for it.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Are you saying you would not take Phil Jackson or Pat Riley? Neither have coached in college. But who in their right mind would not think they could coach the college game? AJ is no comparison to them but if the guy can coach the pros he can coach and bring in recruits in college IMO.
No, I wasn't clear. Kids, a couple years out of high school, want a coach who can teach them something, particularly a coach with the playing and coaching pedigree of Johnson. He may not come across as overly controlling to a bunch of teenagers. Besides, the turnover of the college roster keeps a coach's message fresh for a longer time. Far fewer games, too.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is a good point. Some have alluded to him being Grant 2.0 based on his micromanaging style. However, Avery's personality is much different and his controlling coaching may fit the college ranks better.

Trying to find the bright side!

They are totally different animals. you had to take AGs pulse to make sure he was still around. When AJ walks into a room everyone knows it. He's personality is exactly what the recruiting trail needs. The more I think of it in the one and done era an Avery Johnson could do really well.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
And a college head coach is a dictatorship. Should be exactly what AJ wanted in the pros. He has sole responsibility in building a team how he wants it and running it his way. He is electric and will be huge in HS players homes on recruiting trips. A pro player and coach that is not much older than their generation. I wanted and like CGM a lot. But when this is all said and done we could be looking at a repeat of Rich Rod and Saban happening on he Bball court. I like it and it energizes me as a fan.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I don't know how it will turn out, but I like Avery Johnson as a coach, so this might get interesting.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.