New coach search...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If Archie Miller is not possible I would rather roll the dice on Avery. He is a very high energy guy that could pull in the recruits with his charisma. We would also finally have a face for the program. He might just be what we need to take strides in the right direction without even knowing it. He was outstanding in Dallas I thought.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
When three of your five signees in your #9 class are playing on four year later at NC State, Ga Tech and Valpo, then it tells you had two problems 1) coaching and 2) coaching...
Actually that's quite normal for college basketball especially when you factor in graduate transfer (Moussa).

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
When three of your five signees in your #9 class are playing on four year later at NC State, Ga Tech and Valpo, then it tells you had two problems 1) coaching and 2) coaching...
Did we ever figure out why Jacobs left? If so, I missed it

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Ben gets it...

Ben Eblen @Ben_E10

NBA champ as a player and NBA coach of the year... If he comes and sits down in your living room, you're going to hear what he has to say
Yep many kids will listen to him, even with him being new to the recruiting game. I think Avery reminds me of Coach Saban some, he wasn't really a good fit for the pros but looks like we'll see how well he fits in with the recruiting game. I think he can help keep a lot of in staters in state. I wasn't hot on him at first, but I admit he is intriguing right now!

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
...Avery Johnson gets me the most excited, just cause recruiting wise, it would be huge sell being able to tell recruits, I've coached at the highest level of Basketball in the NBA..I know how & what it will take to get you to that level..I think Coach Johnson would tear it up recruiting & that's what Bama needs right now to begin to fix our B'Ball Program...
This is EXACTLY what Notre Dame fans said when Charlie Weis was hired. Not a perfect analogy, I know, but it's not a fatally flawed one either. Avery Johnson would be a gamble any way you look at it, though perhaps he's our best move at this point.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This is EXACTLY what Notre Dame fans said when Charlie Weis was hired. Not a perfect analogy, I know, but it's not a fatally flawed one either. Avery Johnson would be a gamble any way you look at it, though perhaps he's our best move at this point.
Remind me again who Weiss was the head coach of in the NFL?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Norte dame was asking for it with the Charlie weis hire. They offer an obese coach who had Tom Brady and one of the better defenses to make a living off of.
As far as Avery I honestly don't know. It would be better than what we had and possibly better than what we are capable of getting moving forward. Just gotta hope and wait

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm both intrigued and concerned about the latest development but will trust CBB's judgement. I definitely can get excited about the potential CAJ has to recruit and sell the NBA to high school kids. The fact that he has never had to evaluate, recruit, and build a roster using high school players is a concern as is the fact that the NBA game is considerably different than the college game. However he did play in college and has a son in college (maybe he will transfer to UA?) so it's not like he knows nothing about college basketball. The key will be who he hires as his assistant coaches. Alabamaintel is still throwing out Mike Davis coming back as associate head coach and I actually like that idea. I do not want CMD has head coach but as AHC he might be a perfect fit. TR Dunn is another name that I would love to have back on the staff. There is some big-time high school talent in this state over the next 2-3 years and the right coach could build an outstanding team without having to go very far to get players. There are 2 kids in the Huntsville area and 3 or 4 in the Birmingham area that everyone is talking about, one of them is Buck Johnson's son.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Actually that's quite normal for college basketball especially when you factor in graduate transfer (Moussa).
My point is that Alabama became a "one and done" or "two and done program" in Grant's six year tenure without the benefit of NBA type talent. Whether it was discipline, legal, playing style, or personal issues, many players never stuck around long enough to develop and contribute to the program. The UNC's, Dukes, and UK's can weather that storm. Alabama can't.

Go back and look at Grant's entire tenure and recruiting classes. The ones that remained we not "hang your hat" on types of players. If the best you're going to do is predominately 3*, a few 4* and an occasional 5* player, you better find a way to keep as long as you can to develop them.

Much of Grant's classes should have been placed on the back of a milk carton because they were packing almost as soon as they arrived.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can tolerate the idea of Avery, he brings different things to the table. However, it is out there. Battle needs to close the deal.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Cecil Hurt tweeted that the talks "went well and were productive"....for whatever that means...
Yeah, I was hoping for something more like "an agreement in principle is in place, and the sides are finalizing details on a 5 year contract" or something along those lines.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.