New coach search...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
Last edited by a moderator:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
To be honest there's no way to know until they all prove it on the court, I think we made hired the biggest name & his credentials is the best of the bunch of new SEC B'Ball coaching hires, I would rather have CAJ over all the new SEC B'Ball coaching hire..One thing is for sure..The SEC B'Ball has elevated the league as a whole with all these new & outstanding coaching hires..Hopefully that translates on the court & we close the gap with other conferences in NCAA College B'Ball & these new coaching hires will help close that gap..The SEC is going to be brutal with all these new coaches..
Would you call Anderson/Arky a better hire than Pearl/ Alabama Polytech? Don't we also have to concede Miss State/ Howland was a big time get? I also suspect Barnes soon will be a tough out in ObKnoxville.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
SIAP..Looks like Coach Johnson isn't wasting time & has took to the recruiting game in a hurry..He's already talked to Dazon Ingram.

"Just had a good talk with Coach Avery Johnson"

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm making a prediction: If Alasippi uses some of that Brylcreem, we will know who our New Basketball coach is by page 107. I was thinking page 105, but I'm a little pessimistic. So, it may take an extra 2 pages before a coach is named.

I wonder why they didn't spell it Brylcream? If you guys used it, you'd probably be bald by now.

P.S. How many pages did it take to finally hire Coach Saban?
The agreement-in-principle was posted on page 228 so you only missed it by 121 pages. :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
SIAP..Looks like Coach Johnson isn't wasting time & has took to the recruiting game in a hurry..He's already talked to Dazon Ingram.

"Just had a good talk with Coach Avery Johnson"

Here's The Link..CLICK ME
Think Ingram will be back on board with the hiring of CAJ.

He needs to call his buddy Buck Johnson and get his son to thinking about the Tide too. I had read Buck's son had become a little infatuated with Pearl so maybe this hire turns that around too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dazon said last week at the Mr. Basketball banquet he would sign with Bama if a "good coach" was hired. I believe a NBA COY classifies as a "good coach."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Avery Johnson tells story of how he became Alabama's new basketball coach

It started with a message from Bill Battle. Avery Johnson was intrigued.

Out of coaching more than two years, the former NBA champion's name had been floated for other jobs. Johnson already had the itch when the Alabama athletics director reached out last Thursday. Only a day earlier, the Crimson Tide publicly lost its bid to land Gregg Marshall from Wichita State. It didn't take long for the search to narrow again.

A preliminary agreement came two days later and the deal was done Monday night. The Little General is coming to Alabama with a six-year, almost $18 million contract. Johnson's set to land in Tuscaloosa on Tuesday evening with a news conference set for Wednesday.

But before they met in person, Johnson had a few questions for Battle. Was he the only candidate? How many others? One of three coaches they'd contacted, Johnson quickly emerged as a front runner.
For those wondering about Avery, Jr:

Johnson said he was re-energized in the two-plus years since he was fired by the Nets. He saw the college basketball machine work up close with the recruitment and freshman season of his son Avery Johnson Jr. at Texas A&M last season.

Johnson Jr. will remain an Aggie, his father said. There are no plans for him to transfer to the SEC program his father now coaches.
In the article, Casagrande mentions Finis St. John making the trip to meet CAJ. Cecil tweeted they've learned Finis St. John was present for the interview with Marshall, too.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
This sounds like a huge win win for Bama. Coach Johnsons seems to be energized about this opportunity and in his words his family was even more excited. With his personality and that type of family support and enthusiasm. The sky is the limit for Bama Bball with CAJ leading the program.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think we'll see new lineup next year... Ingram, Tarrant, Norris, Taylor, Coleman, hale.. Just wow... Johnson going to develop those players and wow... This SEC will be a beaset.. we could see 3-6 SEC teams in the dance next year... I'm thinking LSU, auburn, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and alabama.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
After the situation with CGM played out badly, I think we landed on our feet well with CAJ. Like with any coach, there's the possibility of some issues, but I think the possible ones with CAJ could be remedied with good assistants and a willingness to listen. Really don't think we could have done better.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.