New coach search...

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
Why? Most of the posts here are of little substance, but Texas has been one of the major topics, as has been the case in a couple Nick Saban threads as well. As far as I'm aware the position is still open is it not? This is not a Gregg Marshall thread, this is a coaching search thread.
It's a coaching search thread, for Alabama, on an Alabama message board. If I wanted to read about a school I don't care about, I'd check out another forum.

I don't go to Chick-Fil-A and ask for a Burger King menu.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
It's a coaching search thread, for Alabama, on an Alabama message board. If I wanted to read about a school I don't care about, I'd check out another forum.

I believe the point of all of his Barnes talk is that Barnes is a reasonable second choice if we are unable to land Marshall.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I agree. I just think they will use the foundation plane to bring him to T-town, not B'ham. Why would Battle fly out of B'ham when he can drive to the Tuscaloosa Airport which is much closer. If I were a prospective coach, I'd want to check out the facilities and city before making a decision without everyone knowing I am doing so. If I decided to keep my present job, I'd have plausible deniability.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The deal about the radio show being cancelled: just after they bowed out of the Sweet 16 wouldn't you want your coach (or at least someone on the staff) to come on, discuss the game, thank the fans and pump them up about what bright prospects there are for the future? Of course, someone probably made a (wise) decision that it would turn into nothing but a 'are you leaving' thing and if he does decide to stay they can re-schedule it, but it seems to me as if this IS a sign that his mind is not on Wichita right now.

rtr

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Ok, Rick Barnes is available.
Secondly, Texas is a major competitor in terms of vacancies.

I won't go off topic and debate, debating further, but the idea that I can only discuss coaches in the coaches search thread that people want to talk about is a bit asinine. Tom Crean was a hot topic here for a while, but I was intentionally limiting my scope to the merits of what a good coach is or isn't, what the criteria for looking for a coach should or shouldn't be, who was available, etc...

Nothing I said was completely off topic, it was all relevant, and while I do apologize that my disparaging remarks about Texas might have offended some, or my saying Barnes is a good coach might have offended some, I don't apologize for passing the time discussing you know, available coaches and what are good attributes in a coach.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
I believe the point of all of his Barnes talk is that Barnes is a reasonable second choice if we are unable to land Marshall.
He'd certainly work for me as a stop-gap coach for the next five years or so. Of course, if Marshall does come to Alabama he could very well jump at the next UNC/Duke/Kansas/UK job that comes open, couldn't he?

rtr

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
He'd certainly work for me as a stop-gap coach for the next five years or so. Of course, if Marshall does come to Alabama he could very well jump at the next UNC/Duke/Kansas/UK job that comes open, couldn't he?

rtr
My statements about Barnes all along were that he was a plan B type of guy, if Alabama can get Marshall (or Smart) they should. But yeah, Barnes would be a great emergency hire if people (Barnes included probably) could swallow personal feelings. Fortunately that probably won't happen... oh and they're talking about Barnes on the radio now (in respect to the Alabama opening), I should call them and ask them to stop.

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I agree. I just think they will use the foundation plane to bring him to T-town, not B'ham. Why would Battle fly out of B'ham when he can drive to the Tuscaloosa Airport which is much closer. If I were a prospective coach, I'd want to check out the facilities and city before making a decision without everyone knowing I am doing so. If I decided to keep my present job, I'd have plausible deniability.
Awesome... got new plans for the afternoon/evening now. I'm going to head over to the airport and stake it out for the next 8-10 hours.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
What seems to be missing here is that Barnes, in 20 years, did what the Texas program did in 60 years. If their expectations are so warped, that they expected him to not just be their best coach, to not just have the most success, but to far eclipse what they ever accomplished, they're just a bunch of drooling lunatics.

The only reason they had any reasons for high expectations was solely because of what Barnes himself accomplished. They are not a basketball power, they never have been, but Barnes gave their program unprecedented success, and they got it into their silly little heads that somehow that was a failure on his part.
If he's been to the tourney 19 out of 20 years then he's done an outstanding job, and it really doesn't matter what university or alumni expectations may be. I've always thought he was a pretty good coach.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
More importantly he has not been listed as a candidate in any article.. Why don't we stick with serious candidates only..

Originally Posted by Tide1986

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Awesome... got new plans for the afternoon/evening now. I'm going to head over to the airport and stake it out for the next 8-10 hours.
I say we just "fan out". Operatives cover all major airports within a 100 mile radius of Tuscaloosa and Wichita. We'll get to the bottom of this.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Reasonable second choice in the Coaches-with-Underperforming-Talented-Players-Don't-Finish-First-and-Don't-Get-Very-Far-in-the-Big-Dance category. Or the point of it all could just be that Wichita State wants to hire Barnesy when Marshall jumps.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If he's been to the tourney 19 out of 20 years then he's done an outstanding job, and it really doesn't matter what university or alumni expectations may be. I've always thought he was a pretty good coach.
Heh, not to step on toes here and bring up him up again, but I inadvertently included what he did at Clemson. It's 19 out of the past 20, but just 16 out of 17 I think at Texas. But yeah, I so hope that if Alabama gets Marshall people don't get insane expectations and expect a final four every year or something, people need to be realistic.

More importantly he has not been listed as a candidate in any article.. Why don't we stick with serious candidates only..
Heh, ok well an article said Gregg Marshall wasn't interested, so I guess no Marshall talk? May be articles don't mean much...

WSU played in Tuscaloosa last year, so he's probably somewhat familiar with the facilities.
Considering how often he's played Alabama, I suppose there's a lot of mutual knowledge about the respective coaches/programs which seemed to make it that much easier for Alabama to focus on him. Alabama knows what his teams look like, so there is a lot of familiarity.

Last edited:

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
He couldn't make it past the Elite 8 with one of the greatest basketball players of this generation, Durant.

There are worse coaches out there for sure, but at 60, he's probably peaked in terms of coaching. I can't see him coming to Alabama and doing something he couldn't do at Texas. I haven't seen him mentioned as a candidate by any source outside of this thread. If we're just throwing names in a hat, let's at least throw in names we'd want. Next.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
My statements about Barnes all along were that he was a plan B type of guy, if Alabama can get Marshall (or Smart) they should. But yeah, Barnes would be a great emergency hire if people (Barnes included probably) could swallow personal feelings. Fortunately that probably won't happen... oh and they're talking about Barnes on the radio now (in respect to the Alabama opening), I should call them and ask them to stop.
lol!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.