New coach search...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Per Wikipedia, "In nine of his fourteen [NCAA Tournament appearances] at Texas, the Longhorns went on to lose to a lower seed..."

I realize that entry is slightly outdated, but if that's not underperforming, I don't know what is. Maybe he's the best we can do, but if so that's paying neither of us a compliment.
Heh, ok let's get this straight. He's done things at Texas no other coach did, he went to the NCAA tournament every year but one, he made it past the first round almost every single year... but because he didn't go further he's a failure? He in his career at Texas nearly matched everything Texas did in basketball, ever.

He is their Wimp Sanderson, a good recruiter, a guy that went to the NCAA tournament almost every single year, the best thing the program has ever had really... and yeah, a guy who didn't end up winning a championship. Now you tell me, would Alabama prefer another Wimp Sanderson over some unproven coach right now? He became a victim of his own success, much in the same way that a lot of people blame Saban for doing something wrong if they don't win a championship. His recruits are so good and his teams are so good that to not win a championship is a failure. Thye run the guy off after making it to the second round of the tournament, and it's not like Texas has a pile of NCAA tournament titles, they have exactly 0. He didn't under-perform at Texas, he took their program to new heights, they just don't realize that.

If only Alabama basketball could have the problem of having a high seed in the NCAA tournament... Alabama hasn't even been to the second round since 2006.

Edit:
being one and done in the dance is better that two and done in the NIT.
Let me quote this out of place, he's only been one and done three times at Texas. That means out of all those years at Texas, he only failed to make it to the second round of the NCAA tournament four times. That's amazingly consistent...

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Per Wikipedia, "In nine of his fourteen [NCAA Tournament appearances] at Texas, the Longhorns went on to lose to a lower seed..."

I realize that entry is slightly outdated, but if that's not underperforming, I don't know what is. Maybe he's the best we can do, but if so that's paying neither of us a compliment.
I was wrong on the numbers I thought he had made more appearances. And I do see your point however being one and done in the dance is better that two and done in the NIT. If you are making the dance consistently as he was at least you should be attracting good recruits. He is not the long term answer as some have stated because of age but who is right now if Marshall says no. I would rather have him than some of these unproven names I have seen.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
wimp in 12 years at alabama 5 sec tourney champs 1 reg season..
that is some version of a champ every other year on avg... (tourney or reg)

barnes 28 seasons.. 4 conf championships (tourney or reg)

that is 1 champ every years.. sorry that is average at best...
He is their Wimp Sanderson, at...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

What's so important about conference titles? Seriously, I haven't heard this brought up with any other candidate, and believe you me a lot of them either play in a conference in which a title is a joke, or haven't exactly been stacking them in giant piles. Wimp coached 12 years at Alabama (also, if we're making comparisons Barnes made it past the Sweet 3 times). He failed to make it to the NCAA tournament or past the first round, 6 times, that means 50% of the time he didn't get past the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Barnes in 17 years at Texas, made it past the first round of the NCAA tournament 13 times. That's 76% of the time. That's pretty significant and nowhere near average. Go ahead and see how many coaches you can find who made it to the NCAA tournament 16 out of the past 17 years, the list will be really really short. . But, let's get back to the whole conference champs thing. And nice of you to drag up his previous work, because that's needed to shade him negatively, Tom Crean in 7 years at Indiana won a single conference title, and he was at the top of a lot of people's lists. And, he was at Indiana, a team that won a heck of a lot of of conference titles when he wasn't around. Conference titles are an odd thing to fixate on, Alabama just needs to get in the tournament, beating out Kentucky for conference titles looks like a pipe dream at this point...

Oh and if you do insist on combining what he did at other schools, Rick Barnes has made the NCAA tournament 19 out of his past 20 seasons (and all of those a a team that's never even won a NCAA title, this wasn't at a program like Kentucky or North Carolina). Wow...

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Heh, ok let's get this straight. He's done things at Texas no other coach did, he went to the NCAA tournament every year but one, he made it past the first round almost every single year... but because he didn't go further he's a failure?...
Underperformance and failure are not necessarily the same thing. If you routinely lose to lower seeds in the tournament, that's underperformance by definition. If you expect and are satisfied with that, then it isn't failure.; but there's no way we'd long be any happier with that habitual outcome than was Texas...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

Really? Avg.? Really. So his final four is more than Bama has in its entirety. Barnes isn't going to be the choice but he's been an outstanding coach. Avg. is what CAG was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
How many times did Barnes finish runner up to Kansas? I think that ought to put the lack of conference championships in context. How much would we tolerate finishing runner up to kentucky in the conference yet go to the tournament every year and make the sweet 16 more times than not? I would take that all day long.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
How many times did Barnes finish runner up to Kansas? I think that ought to put the lack of conference championships in context. How much would we tolerate finishing runner up to kentucky in the conference yet go to the tournament every year and make the sweet 16 more times than not? I would take that all day long.
Who was the head coach at Alabama when Barnes was an assistant at Bama?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
We need a splashy hire that will fire up the fan base. Regardless of what you think of him, Barnes will not do that.
Any suggestions? I just can't think of ANY.

Maybe Coach Battle has/had a plan. I hope Coach Battle has/had a plan. You need to know THAT plan before you FIRE what you have/had. Hopefully, he didn't put all his eggs in that one basket, i.e. Marshall.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We need a splashy hire that will fire up the fan base. Regardless of what you think of him, Barnes will not do that.
That's just it though, if Alabama missed out on Marshall and Smart, there is no splashy hire to be made. Auburn got a splashy hire last year, we know they took on risk but they got one... if Alabama doesn't get one of those two guys, punting is about as well as they can hope to do.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Now, Brad Stevens would be a splashy hire. Is he tired of the NBA yet? That's the only splashy hire that I can think of at this time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.