New coach search...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Heck, maybe Wichita makes the counter offer and it can't match up to ours. Maybe, hopefully, that is what is happening.
This could be the case, but again if your family is the hold up and you are serious, you get on our private plane to check out the area you are considering. There has been no such trip taken at least to this point. If he were to make a trip, I'd meet them at the airport.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Heck, maybe Wichita makes the counter offer and it can't match up to ours. Maybe, hopefully, that is what is happening.
I dont think it will match but I think the decision was hard enough for his family, a little more here and there from Wichita may sure go a long way for the wife and family if they are happy already. I would assume Marshall was expecting them to try and come up with something , we just do not know what. I do think the timing is a little funny seeing how late in the process this is. I wonder if they never really thought he was serious about leaving and have learned something different from him? This may be their Hailmary. We have not heard a no which still bodes well for now.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It's funny that those guys over on Shockernet think that CAG got a raw deal. They even think he was denied coaching the NIT, but he chose not to coach his team. He ended up being just a bit better than our worst coach in recent memory, David Hobbs.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If we are willing to pay Marshall $4 million and he passes, then start calling really big names and offer them even more. That kind of money will make some people start thinking about it.

My son (an only child) is graduating high school this spring. We are moving this summer to a town about an hour and a half from where we live now. It is not job related, we just decided to move. (Long story).

He is OK with it, but he isn't real happy about it. We have lived here 12 years so this is really the only home he knows. He will be in college and won't be able to go "home" and see his friends. So I understand his kids' concerns.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I really think that we are going to end up with a better coach than CAG. I think too many people want a "rock star" name or coach, but it doesn't take that win basketball games.
Unfortunately, given the recent hires of other schools we need something better than just a coach who's an upgrade over Grant (not hard to do) and one we hope is a program changer. There's a hell of a coach 90 miles to the west and another one 150 miles to the southeast that wasn't there a year ago.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
1. the bear went to alabama.

bird riley are gm/presidents at nba teams that include ownership. (both have anet worth of over 50 million dollars)
jackson is at the knicks making 12 million a year.

and jordan is worth 1 billion dollars.

none of them have any ties to the UA...

So can we please talk about actual coaches who are intersted in coaching at the same level as us.

links for reference...

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nba/pat-riley-net-worth/
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10607795/phil-jackson-deal-new-york-knicks-finalized

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...re-michael-jordan-earned-100-million-in-2014/

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/larry-bird-net-worth/
My post was not made for the purpose of endorcing anyone. The point was there are dozens of potential coaches out there that would energize our fans and suprise the basketball world. I guarentee you there are some who would jump at that kind of opportunity and recruiting would change overnight. Maybe I am thinking too much out of the conventional "box" for some to see my point. Make a big splash if you decide to jump in the big boy end of the pool.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
The best coach in all of basketball? Nope.

The best coach that would consider leaving?

No doubt. There's a difference there.

How do we know? Did we even try, or did we just assume that?
We should've started at the top,made our best offer, and if we were turned down...well we'd be in the same position we are now.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
My post was not made for the purpose of endorcing anyone. The point was there are dozens of potential coaches out there that would energize our fans and suprise the basketball world. I guarentee you there are some who would jump at that kind of opportunity and recruiting would change overnight. Maybe I am thinking too much out of the conventional "box" for some to see my point. Make a big splash if you decide to jump in the big boy end of the pool.
^^^This...a thousand times, this^^^

Last edited:

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
my point is the names you suggested are crazy as would anyone else in that realm. Avery Johnson would be someone much more on the level you are talking about, but I think he still is unproven at the college level.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
my point is the names you suggested are crazy as would anyone else in that realm. Avery Johnson would be someone much more on the level you are talking about, but I think he still is unproven at the college level.

Define Crazy. How many people in History were told their ideas were crazy only to prove all the doubters wrong when they stood by them and shocked the world? Should I start naming some?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
How do we know? Did we even try, or did we just assume that?
We should've started at the top,made our best offer, and if we were turned down...well we'd be in the same position we are now.
/// BREAKING NEWS///Calipari considering Alabama's 6.5 million dollar a year offer. More on this story at 10....

In all seriousness, there are better jobs that pay less than Alabama. I think most of these top coaches are trying to build a resume to put in when the programs like Kentucky,Duke, UNC, and etc. open up. Anyone who takes the Alabama job is going to have to accept he will be second fiddle to football and will have to deal with UK, Arkansas, and possibly Bruce Pearl every year. Marshall is in a great position at WSU, and he will probably stay at WSU to avoid possibly damaging his perception of being a top 5 coach in order to get one of those 1%er jobs. So we can act like throwing loads of money will fix all of our problems all we want, but the fact remains it only worked with CNS because of perfect timing and Alabama being a historical top 5 program in football. Basketball not so much.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Honestly - not a huge fan of how Marshall carries himself.....

Regardless - Grant wasn't the right person. We needed to make a change.....we did. Now, we get the best person available and get started.....

If it's not Marshall, then it's whoever they think is best. I'll approach it with an open mind as long as it's not Stansbury

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN
I thought this before and believe it even more now.....CBB needs to step down. He is a disaster and if given time, will continue to ruin what CMM built at the Capstone. We need a Bama man at the helm, not a retred tennessee guy.
I guess you forgot he played for Coach Bryant and was part of the 1961 National Championship team!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If Marshall is listening to a counter by Wichita, Alabama needs to reach out to someone else
Offer is on the table, but, you shop we shop.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
ESPN reporting WSU is working on a $4M per year deal for Marshall. If that's the case it is game set match....No reason in the world for him to move his family IMO.
What I don't understand is why would Wichita pay $4M/year -- to Marshall? It has to cut drastically into their profitability - and he's likely gone in a year or two anyway -- because he's not going to be there for much longer regardless.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In all seriousness, there are better jobs that pay less than Alabama. I think most of these top coaches are trying to build a resume to put in when the programs like Kentucky,Duke, UNC, and etc. open up. Anyone who takes the Alabama job is going to have to accept he will be second fiddle to football and will have to deal with UK, Arkansas, and possibly Bruce Pearl every year. Marshall is in a great position at WSU, and he will probably stay at WSU to avoid possibly damaging his perception of being a top 5 coach in order to get one of those 1%er jobs. So we can act like throwing loads of money will fix all of our problems all we want, but the fact remains it only worked with CNS because of perfect timing and Alabama being a historical top 5 program in football. Basketball not so much.

Well said.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.