New coach search...

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Think about it. What team is hiring a coach because they are doing well and have loads of talent?
No, I get it. But, I didn't write that we had loads of talent. I think we have some talent, and that we just need some coaching to put the team in better position to win those close games we lost last season.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Interesting Conversation from Shocker Board:

Shockerboard
Well, a couple of exceptions aside, I have to say that, on the whole, they're handling it better than we have handled "Saban to [wherever]" rumors.

Thought jocoshock's post at 7:01 this morning was well thought out and well presented.

The observation about Marshall's blunt personality not fitting in Austin, but being the characteristic we've embraced with Saban was a good one.

If The Yeti (7:02 this morning) is right and it's in Sexton's hands, that's good for us.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
No, I get it. But, I didn't write that we had loads of talent. I think we have some talent, and that we just need some coaching to put the team in better position to win those close games we lost last season.
He will have to do some rebuilding of the program. I think he wants to come to Bama to build a championship contender. He can't recruit at the level of the elite teams in Wichita. He has a commitment from the administration and athletic PTB that we will build a championship level program across the board. He wants a team to compete with the Duke's and UK's of college Basketball. We are not hiring a coach who aspires to be number 2 in the SEC that some on here think we are doing. If he comes and I think we have a serious shot at him, the entire culture of basketball at Alabama and probably this state will change. Alabama has always supported winners. If we were to win a championship in basketball the program would explode.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, a couple of exceptions aside, I have to say that, on the whole, they're handling it better than we have handled "Saban to [wherever]" rumors.

Thought jocoshock's post at 7:01 this morning was well thought out and well presented.

The observation about Marshall's blunt personality not fitting in Austin, but being the characteristic we've embraced with Saban was a good one.
I believe that was a quote from Scarbinsky's column this morning.

If The Yeti (7:02 this morning) is right and it's in Sexton's hands, that's good for us.
I didn't get that post. Sexton isn't his agent. Myles Solomon is.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
He will have to do some rebuilding of the program. I think he wants to come to Bama to build a championship contender. He can't recruit at the level of the elite teams in Wichita. He has a commitment from the administration and athletic PTB that we will build a championship level program across the board. He wants a team to compete with the Duke's and UK's of college Basketball. We are not hiring a coach who aspires to be number 2 in the SEC that some on here think we are doing. If he comes and I think we have a serious shot at him, the entire culture of basketball at Alabama and probably this state will change. Alabama has always supported winners. If we were to win a championship in basketball the program would explode.
I agree. I don't like the thoughts of just settling for #2. Sure, historically, we would be thrilled with being the second best in the SEC to Kentucky. But going forward, let's do everything we can to build a championship contender. I agree it is extremely difficult for any program to break through the barrier to the elite level. But there was a time when Duke wasn't there. We may not make it... the ceiling may not be that high. But let's give it a real shot anyway. The resources are certainly there to try.

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Good post and I agree. We are a state's flagship school with lots of resources. Most of the places he has turned down over the last few years have not been a state's flagship school (e.g. NC St.).

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
FWIW, there's a guy posting on another forum who says they've been friends since they were small kids. He's optimistic and thinks that CGM would have already told CBB, if the answer were "no." However, he said earlier that he got a noncommittal reply to an email last night. This is not necessarily bad, IMO. If I were in CGM's shoes, even an email from my oldest, dearest friend would get a noncommittal response. He just can't afford a leak now, particularly if the team hasn't been told yet...

Bama Prof

Jul 18, 2012
I wonder if Battle was interested in Barnes at all, or is he full in for Marshall? I assume Battle is very confident given that Barnes and Howland went to competing schools so quickly, without apparent discussions with UA.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I wonder if Battle was interested in Barnes at all, or is he full in for Marshall? I assume Battle is very confident given that Barnes and Howland went to competing schools so quickly, without apparent discussions with UA.
It should be blatantly obvious that Marshall is plan A and there is no plan B at this point. And that is not a bad thing, IMHO, because if you want to really, really impress a hot girl and show that you are serious about her then flirting with other girls is not the way to do that.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
To reiterate what was already said, the plan all along was Marshall. The Kansas win was a bit of an issue, since it did allow other programs to find their coach while Alabama was still waiting. However, despite the fact that I brought both of those coaches up quite a bit myself, I don't fault the way Alabama went about this. They are going for the best hire possible, not just a desperation hire.

Now, if they miss on Marshall? That could be bad, but we'll see...

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Quote from Shocker Net forum referred to earlier:

The offer from Bama is 4.2M for 6 years. Gregg has till Friday to decide. Word is Lynn and kids don't want to go. Gregg is looking at it as one more move before he retires, so it better be the right financial package. He doesn't want to coach forever. The cons for going to Bama are no real fan commitment to basketball; bad team next year; 2-3 year rebuilding plan; SEC is the SEC, cheating is almost an excepted practice...Bama fans probably alright with it if it yields results. WSU can probably get to 2.1 or 2.2M base, with incentives bringing it to 2.5+. The only reason he leaves is for the money. How much do you really need Gregg? Don't be a gun for hire. Be our coach where you are loved and respected. You have a great and predictable gig here. Don't screw up happy.

This guy seems like he has it all figured out, especially about Bama. We shall see.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

The offer from Bama is 4.2M for 6 years. Gregg has till Friday to decide. Word is Lynn and kids don't want to go. Gregg is looking at it as one more move before he retires, so it better be the right financial package. He doesn't want to coach forever. The cons for going to Bama are no real fan commitment to basketball; bad team next year; 2-3 year rebuilding plan; SEC is the SEC, cheating is almost an excepted practice...Bama fans probably alright with it if it yields results. WSU can probably get to 2.1 or 2.2M base, with incentives bringing it to 2.5+. The only reason he leaves is for the money. How much do you really need Gregg? Don't be a gun for hire. Be our coach where you are loved and respected. You have a great and predictable gig here. Don't screw up happy.

This guy seems like he has it all figured out, especially about Bama. We shall see.
If anyone knows, it's probably a message board poster on ShockerNet.net.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

123 pages in this thread alone plus 2 related threads that are multiple pages. nope no interest here at all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.