New coach search...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
You had no idea I would be eating dinner when I read that. Any mention of Mitch ruins my appetite.

Hey, maybe that is a way I can lose weight..........just mention Mitch, at every meal!

Excuse me, I feel ill now.
Never wanted him here in the first place. Bobby Pierce was my favorite. But that's for a different time on a different board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I have no idea what they are thinking from here. Just do it soon so this year won't be a total write off year. It was clearly the correct choice to get rid of Grant, but we've made an absolute mess of this search. Battle let too much out with the search when Marshall was the target so I guess he will let nothing out on this one.

And we know this how? Most of the early information I read came exclusively from Marshall's camp. in fact, Battle followed the same script that Mal last used to find a football coach, right down to the statement he put out after Rodriguez changed his mind. That search was drawn out too. Remind me, how'd it turn out?

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
When RichRod turned down $2m what did MM do? He "doubled down" and hired CNS for $4m.
While your point may be well taken, your example isn't credible. The target all along was Saban - Sexton had contacted us and said he'd be available and would accept an offer. The issue was that we were going to have to wait until the end of the NFL season - a full month after most college coaching transactions take place. For a few weeks everyone was happy to wait... but then some of our people got cold feet (not Mal per se). Fearing we'd be where we are now after CGM, the decision was made (not unanimous) to pursue a more "sure bet" in CRR. CRR turning us down didn't change things at all - we were back trusting Sexton's word and waiting. Thus, Mal Moore didn't exactly "double down" and aim for a higher target after Rich Rod turned us down - using the rejection to say "we'll aim higher this next time".

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
The longer this goes on the more I like Steve Prohm. He wasnt high on my list at first but the more I think about it he would be a good fit. I know he is the "safe hire" and may be even the fall back plan. I understand the comparisons to Grant but I think he would be different than Grant in that I would think he would want to be at Bama. Grant did a lot of good in the community especially after 4/27 but it seemed to me that he didnt want to be the b'ball coach at Bama. He blew off tip-off club meetings. Didnt promote the program in state. Prohm has a decent record (as been discussed a lot on here). They were good again this year. I honestly thought that Murray St. got jobbed. I watched their conference tourney championship. Murray St. should have gotten an at-large in my opinion.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
While your point may be well taken, your example isn't credible. The target all along was Saban - Sexton had contacted us and said he'd be available and would accept an offer. The issue was that we were going to have to wait until the end of the NFL season - a full month after most college coaching transactions take place. For a few weeks everyone was happy to wait... but then some of our people got cold feet (not Mal per se). Fearing we'd be where we are now after CGM, the decision was made (not unanimous) to pursue a more "sure bet" in CRR. CRR turning us down didn't change things at all - we were back trusting Sexton's word and waiting. Thus, Mal Moore didn't exactly "double down" and aim for a higher target after Rich Rod turned us down - using the rejection to say "we'll aim higher this next time".
True! And I hope CBB doesn't get in a big hurry to hire someone just to save face. Take time and let it play out. Someone worthy wants to be the next Bama basketball coach and having the cash to make the job delicious will bring out the right man for the job. :)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
The longer this goes on the more I like Steve Prohm. He wasnt high on my list at first but the more I think about it he would be a good fit. I know he is the "safe hire" and may be even the fall back plan.
Me's beginning to think if Prohm is the guy it'll be like when Tenn. got Derek Dooley. He was like #9 on their list but "he was the first guy they offered the job to." That only meant nobody else wanted it. I just can't think we're that unattractive as a job offer. I also dont see how 3 plus million can't get a dude and his ol' lady to leave Dayton.

CrimsonTut

1st Team
Jul 24, 2000
Franklin, TN
At this point...Miller, White and Prohm for me, in that order, and hope a good young coach turns into a great old coach. I don't see a knock-it-out-of-the-park hire left out there.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
At this point...Miller, White and Prohm for me, in that order, and hope a good young coach turns into a great old coach. I don't see a knock-it-out-of-the-park hire left out there.
I asked this a page or two back - but what is the appeal of Miller? I see an average resume when I see his. In fact, his predecessor had a better record than he did in the four years prior to his arrival. I am open to liking him - I just don't see a record of success. Based solely on resume, I'm not sure he is really even a step ahead of Prohm, and I don't really like him.

I can only hope that Battle's phone was blowing up today with agents and "informants" letting him know who would be open to a job offer. I suspect that we are highly considering a candidate none of us are really thinking about. At least I hope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, don't see the truth posted that ofter, but I was told weeks before the hiring, through Sexton leaks, that CNS was a done deal. I think he got cold feet at the last moment and had to be re-sold by Terry...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.