New coach search...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
And that is one of the things UT was tired of hearing. He was supposed to be recruiting players to win championships, and not go right into the NBA.
Kentucky has proven it doesn't work that way. So has Saban, you recruit the most talented kids and they will go pro as soon as they can. Anyone that gets it in their head that it works some other way is just confused...

Marshall can compete at Alabama without those sort of kids, but he can't compete against Kentucky without those sort of kids, in the same way other SEC programs can't really compete against Alabama in football without them. That's why my expectations on Marshall are not through the roof, he'll be limited by the quality of recruits.

Edit: Oh and just to explain how insane Texas is, no one has ever won a championship there in basketball. The idea that just going to the NCAA tournament every single year wasn't enough (no other Texas coach did that), is absurd, the odds are not that the new guy wins a bunch of championships, but rather that the new guy doesn't even go to the tournament every year.

Last edited:

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I don't think anybody really knows. But I did get a text about 15 minutes ago from a friend whose boss is very well-connected. It just said, "marshall is coming. will be announced later today." Who knows if it is true, but based on the last 12 hours, everything seems to be pointing in that direction.
If Battle goes to Wichita to watch Marshall sign a contract extension, that would be one of the most bizarre events to have ever occurred in a coaching search. And that's saying something. You have to think Battle is going up there to sign Marshall.
Agree. Why bother flying out there if you don't believe he doesn't get on the plane with you back to Tuscaloosa?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ironically - if Grant had not totally blown the game against Wichita State (which he should have won by 10) -- he likely would have made the tournament (because I do believe that confidence and momentum are key in College Hoops) -- and we wouldn't have been courting Marshall.....

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
There's no doubt he's interested, this could be a first attempt at a sale job.

Also could the rumored bot meeting on Saturday been to discuss facility upgrades for said coach?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

HendersonKYTide

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2006
Yep, this is driving me crazy. Im going to have to get up from my desk and stay away for a little bit. Monday is a really bad day not to be able to concentrate!!!

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Exclusive photo of Bill Battle leaving the Wichita airport...

Now, that is funny! Do you think he stacked up enough $100 bills in that Brinks truck? Is it filled with gold bars?

GM, you only get to look in there if you sign on the dotted line……………… ………………...

Bama Prof

Jul 18, 2012
Obviously Battle feels good enough about the situation to get on a plane because he knows that news would (and has) spread like wild fire. On the other hand, maybe he told a reluctant Marshall "hear me out in person before saying no." I doubt that though because flying out is laying his cards on the table for everyone to see.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Mal went to see Saban and Grant to offer them the job before he was sure they would accept. I suspect this is similar.....Battle is hopeful...even confident...but not sure.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If Marshall accepts, he needs to get on the plane. Roy Williams took the Carolina job years ago, but stayed in Lawrence to tell his players. He changed his mind. The Carolina AD never lived it down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.