New coach search...

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
As I said about 60 pages ago, Greg Marshall isn't coming here. And all we're doing at this point is getting other coaches paid more money. Barring some last minute change of heart, Greg Marshall will remain in Wichita. If it were just him, he'd have been in Tuscaloosa Monday. But it's not. His wife and kids (a son about to start his freshman year at WSU and a daughter who's about to start her freshman year of high school) prefer it there. No sense in having all that money with a miserable household.

At one point, it looked like Shaka Smart was waiting to see what happened with Marshall before he pulled the trigger on his move. He want(s)ed this job. But because it's been so drawn out, there has been enough time for UTx to woo him into a lull. So here we are, with all of our money...and our resources...and we're coachless.

We'll certainly get a coach...a GOOD coach at that. But at this point, no coaches left will win the press conference. Luckily, all that matters is winning ball games. There are still plenty of guys out there who are more than capable of leading us in the right direction. It just won't be that shiny Corvette that most fans were wishing for. I'll take a reliable Toyota Camry to get me there just as comfortably.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There's very little chance WSU can come up with that kind of money. Their entire basketball budget in 2013 was $3.1M. They've already got one of the most expensive season tickets in college basketball ($470 including donation is the minimum - ours is $294) and a waiting list for tickets. Unless some donor is sitting out there willing to underwrite his contract I can't see them getting far above $2.5-3M MAX... that would put him in the top 15. But consider this... he's 52. Lets assume he takes the delta between WSU's $3M and our $4M post tax - approx $500K and banks it. At a 4% interest rate, assuming he coaches 15 more years (Coach K is 68 and going strong) that's $10M NET in his pocket ADDITIONAL to what he could make at WSU.
The Koch brothers are extremely rich and could probably me half and half or even 3/4ths of what WSU is actually going to pay him. Now if alabama was to make a Nick Saban kinda offer, which we will almost certainly won't, then I think the Koch's would back off. I know from experience and science that kansas is flater than a pancake, but Alabama would reserve that kinda of offer only to a coaches with the pedigree of the likes of Calipari or Coach Pop at the Spurs. Dont underestimate the bankroll that WSU does have at their leisure.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not to single you out, but I'm so sick of hearing about the Koch Brothers. If that was the case they would have given him a ton of money last year when he flirted with Mizzou. Just because they are rich doesn't mean they will give it all away "just because". Most rich folks got rich because they are tightwads. Then to boot they generally only donate to schools for tax write offs. Most could care less how successful the team is as long as they get the write off and their name on the building.
Well no one was in dire need for a coach, and if so their were better options available. I know Mizzou was trying years back, but Mizzou wasnt going to try to pressure the Koch's involvement like Bama is currently. The Kochs are extremely loyal to WSU and will try their darnest to keep. So it should be expected that they would treat this quite abit more seriously than Mizzou.

Also consider that Marshall is very dominate becasue he plays in a far weaker conference. He could probably be an average coach for all we know. If you need a modern day example, then look no futher than Rich Rod. CRR was seen as a highly successful coach at West Virgina, but when he went to real league his weaknesses were exposed right away. Point is you never know how good someone is until they play with the big boys. That is the reason I always never bought into Boise State and Chris Peterson.

Last edited:

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
I thought this before and believe it even more now.....CBB needs to step down. He is a disaster and if given time, will continue to ruin what CMM built at the Capstone. We need a Bama man at the helm, not a retred tennessee guy.
Sigh........that's right.....a good "BAMA" man........what could Bill Battle possibly know about the University? He probably just took the job to pad his resume. I'd put this in blue, but what's the point........

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So is the "decision" between Bama and WSU? Do you think that is what we're saying, so TX is or isn't in play? Define "decision" ya know?
Texas is trying to get Smart. Apparently they either didnt want to get into another bidding war with Bama, or they didnt want to hassel with Marshall's emotional ties with WSU. Either or, they seem to have moved on.

Bama Prof

Jul 18, 2012
I read an article a couple of years ago after the search at another power 5 school. Sorry, I cant recall where the article was published, but, the basic point was it is extremely hard and not very common for an employed coach to leave a successful program for another program. Schools often have to option B or C. It just doesn't happen as often as many think. I'm not saying Marshall isn't coming to Bama. I am saying it is not easy to pry someone from a successful program, even for a lot of money.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
As I said about 60 pages ago, Greg Marshall isn't coming here. And all we're doing at this point is getting other coaches paid more money. Barring some last minute change of heart, Greg Marshall will remain in Wichita. If it were just him, he'd have been in Tuscaloosa Monday. But it's not. His wife and kids (a son about to start his freshman year at WSU and a daughter who's about to start her freshman year of high school) prefer it there. No sense in having all that money with a miserable household.
Sorry I missed it, 60 pages earlier, but this is all anyone needs to know. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been that situation.

Yes, I know some here have served, or are serving, in our military. To folks of that ilk, it is easy to say "They'll get over it" or "They'll make new friends". But, that is life in the military, as long as one is in the military, moving is not an option. It is an order.

Doesn't work that way in the civilian world. I've had several co-workers who had their work performance affected by a miserable home life. All precipitated by an unpopular move. None had a happy ending.

I can't blame CGM for listening, even if he had a good idea it would not be met in a favorable manner, once he comes home. It never hurts to listen, and sometimes, you get a pleasant surprise.

Now.........if up and leaves for Bevo Land....................well, let's not make with the negative waves.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sorry I missed it, 60 pages earlier, but this is all anyone needs to know. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been that situation.

Yes, I know some here have served, or are serving, in our military. To folks of that ilk, it is easy to say "They'll get over it" or "They'll make new friends". But, that is life in the military, as long as one is in the military, moving is not an option. It is an order.

Doesn't work that way in the civilian world. I've had several co-workers who had their work performance affected by a miserable home life. All precipitated by an unpopular move. None had a happy ending.

I can't blame CGM for listening, even if he had a good idea it would not be met in a favorable manner, once he comes home. It never hurts to listen, and sometimes, you get a pleasant surprise.

Now.........if up and leaves for Bevo Land....................well, let's not make with the negative waves.
Completely agree.

If his family is so against the move, I do wish they would have voiced their displeasure sooner, so Battle would have moved onto Smart or someone else.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I guess you forgot he played for Coach Bryant and was part of the 1961 National Championship team!
Yes! I saw him catch a TD pass from an end zone seat, but with dementia or CRS, I just can't remember who it was against.

I fully support Coach Battle.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I'm with Mack. I'd drop Marshall at this point. I'd drop the dough in Smart's lap and say Roll Tide. There is zero reason to wait this long unless you already have the answer you want. I'm guessing they're trying to avoid the face palm at this point and trying to line up other interested parties. Just a guess but I know two very big supporters who would know and they said with conviction the GM wasn't happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Completely agree.

If his family is so against the move, I do wish they would have voiced their displeasure sooner, so Battle would have moved onto Smart or someone else.
This should have been obvious to CGM one week, one month, and even one year ago. As I said earlier, we were used as a bargaining chip.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm with Mack. I'd drop Marshall at this point. I'd drop the dough in Smart's lap and say Roll Tide. There is zero reason to wait this long unless you already have the answer you want. I'm guessing they're trying to avoid the face palm at this point and trying to line up other interested parties. Just a guess but I know two very big supporters who would know and they said with conviction the GM wasn't happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its probably too late for Smart due to us going after Marshall so hard and Texas jumping on him. Unless BB is actually doing some behind the scenes stuff that no one has the down low on I think that door is shut and just about locked up for the night.

But then again, how big is Bama basketball compared to texas. I really dont think we beat Texas in a war of money when it comes to basketball, and all we would do is waste more time and effort just to make Smart more rich. Even if we offered more, as long as Texas made a semi comparable offer it would be hard to sell Bama over Texas in just about anything other than football. Texas has a better chance at making noise in the NCAA tourney than Bama, and their track record proves that. We could have a top tier coach, but still be stuck in a round of 32 or maybe get to a 16 or an 8 every once in awhile due to instate recruiting against Pearles and Kentucky just being Kentucky. Texas has a better chance at a top seed than Bama. Hate to say it but Smart would be smart to take a generous offer from Texas (if the rumors are true) than taking a Bama mega offer.

Also consider that great coach almost never wants to be second fiddle to another sports coach at the same school. A great example of this is Bear and Rupp at Kentucky. Bear made Kentucky a powerhouse in a few short years, and had coached Kentucky to their best football season ever (which some would argue that they should have a natty in that year). But then the Cadillac and cigarette lighter banquet happened. It is easier to sell that you could be at Texas with Charlie Strong than at Alabama with Nick Saban. One of the only times that I can think that a situation like this worked was when Skip Bertman and Nick Saban were at LSU together, but then again who was Nick Saban at that point of time?

If we cant get Marshall, which Ive been thinking we wouldnt all along, then bama just needs to get a coach that can make it to the tourney on a regular basis, beat the top dogs every now and then, and stay above LSU and Auburn. I would be happy if we just get a good coach personally.

Last edited:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006

I am in the Military and posted about moving, but I understand how hard it is. I see it in my family every time we have to move....I dont have a choice but my family does, and so far they have moved with me. I see how hard it is on families to move, as we have done it A LOT! It took a lot for me 23 years ago to make the move to Basic Training, and change my life as I knew it. I moved 1 time in my childhood. When I was in 5th grade the move was taken hard by me, but my brother was in High School, Everyone thought it would be harder for him, but I was the one that it hit the hardest, because I could not understand the reasons at such a young age (Medical issues for my father and closer to the VA hospital) and I was going to miss my friends. It worked out the best for my family and myself in the long run. But moving is not for everyone....I just stated when I posted it....that we in the military have no choice, and we have to deal with it and get used to it. But I am tired of it, and I am trying to make my next move my last move, but even with that there are no guarantees.

I just wish someone had offered me just $1 Million to move. :)

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

At one point, it looked like Shaka Smart was waiting to see what happened with Marshall before he pulled the trigger on his move. He want(s)ed this job. But because it's been so drawn out, there has been enough time for UTx to woo him into a lull. So here we are, with all of our money...and our resources...and we're coachless.

We'll certainly get a coach...a GOOD coach at that. But at this point, no coaches left will win the press conference. Luckily, all that matters is winning ball games. There are still plenty of guys out there who are more than capable of leading us in the right direction. It just won't be that shiny Corvette that most fans were wishing for. I'll take a reliable Toyota Camry to get me there just as comfortably.
Completely OK with him staying for family reasons, and glad if he can get a raise there. More power to him. What is disappointing is we let this string out and now we will miss out on someone (Smart) who apparently wanted to come here.

I agree, there are other coaches out there and if knowledgeable folks like yourself say that we'll still get a good coach who can win games, then I'll still be happy.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.