New coach search...

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
My expectation for UA Basketball is no less than UA any other sport..We should be excellent! We have the resources in every sport. We need to have the will to commit the resources!!! Roll Tide
Never Ever think one person is bigger than UA

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
My expectation for UA Basketball is no less than UA any other sport..We should be excellent! We have the resources in every sport. We need to have the will to commit the resources!!! Roll Tide
Never Ever think one person is bigger than UA
Meaning?

The ball is still round, and the key is scoring more points than your opponent. We can't "buy" points.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Here's an article about Avery Johnson from about a year ago:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ching-ranks/7XdWn3Oe5X2o7la83ysBHK/story.html

Johnson described what would be a desirable atmosphere to return to coaching. “If there’s a situation that makes a tremendous amount of sense,” he said, “something similar with what I had in Dallas, great ownership, a star player in Dirk Nowitzki that had a high level of integrity and was coachable, and stability in terms of a contractual situation that players can respect, then [yes], but other than that we’ll just keep doing what we’re doing.”
Or as Johnson pointed out, coaches can gain more power and control by becoming team presidents. Stan Van Gundy just signed on in Detroit for that dual role, and Doc Rivers also makes personnel decisions with the Los Angeles Clippers.

“They’ll have an opportunity to coach because players get disgruntled sometimes and they’ll want to go over a coach’s head,” Johnson said. “But in Stan Van Gundy’s case, if you go over his head, you’ll end up right back in his president’s chair. I think it’s good that these guys are getting the type of autonomy that college basketball coaches have, and I think it gives them a chance to maximize their potential as a coach but at the same time be held accountable at an even higher standard if things don’t go well.”

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
don't really follow the NBA anymore so I know absolutely nothing about Johnson. I will hold judgement of this choice (if it even happens) until he coaches his first game.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Avery Johnson can truly coach, but One of the thing I'm concerned is that he don't really let his Point Guard have lot of freedom with the ball. He in a way kinda way controlling freak on the offense, but that's something to see if he evolved from taht, and I think he'll be fine.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Avery Johnson failed at Dallas because they've never really done a great job of building a roster around Dirk. Perimeter defense has always been a weakness. their 2011 title after Johnson was partly thanks to a bunch of old guys getting hot from behind the arc and zone defense to take the onus off their individual defense on wing players.

He was not that bad...it is hard to make the playoffs in the NBA Western Conference and he made it every year at Dallas. Even Coach Pop has been bounced in the early rounds a bunch with the Spurs. The Nets are a terrible franchise, so it is hard to blame him for his tenure not going well there.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
No, he's coached a team to the NBA Finals. Was up 2-0 with a chance to have a finals ring as a player and coach then Wade destroyed the Mavericks.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Avery Johnson failed at Dallas because they've never really done a great job of building a roster around Dirk. Perimeter defense has always been a weakness. their 2011 title after Johnson was partly thanks to a bunch of old guys getting hot from behind the arc and zone defense to take the onus off their individual defense on wing players.

He was not that bad...it is hard to make the playoffs in the NBA Western Conference and he made it every year at Dallas. Even Coach Pop has been bounced in the early rounds a bunch with the Spurs. The Nets are a terrible franchise, so it is hard to blame him for his tenure not going well there.
I sure hope he is good, because in college the HC is responsible for building the franchise. This will be an experiment at best and a hire to appease fans, a la Dubose. I hope that he is the answer if hired!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Those not familiar with Coach Johnson can go here and become very impressed with his excellent track record.

I think he'd make an excellent head coach at Bama - good luck!
Easy for you to say, you've got Billy Donovan !

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Never been a fan of the NBA, never heard of Johnson except on here and I might be proved wrong, but my only comment is underwhelmed.
No offense but if you don't know who Avery Johnson is then you haven't followed the NBA or mainstream sports media news very closely at all. Not sure how you can be underwhelmed by somebody that you have never heard of or followed what his professional achievements are.

And it doesn't matter if you have never heard of Avery Johnson. Every high school basketball recruit knows who he is. That's whats important..

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I sure hope he is good, because in college the HC is responsible for building the franchise. This will be an experiment at best and a hire to appease fans, ala Dubose. I hope that he is the answer if hired!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% sold on this direction but I don't think is the worst path to take from the outset. He's a former point guard, so I bet we will see us play a more guard friendly offense. I hope he brings that former point mindset to the bench and help call out the best sets for his players...you can't just let the kids play in the college game. By the same token, I would like a more free-flowing style than we saw under Grant. He's just gonna have to find the balance.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
What about experience recruiting and coaching in the college ranks?
He's all NBA experience-wise. I think his demeanor as seen in coaching interviews and as his stint as a analyst projects to him being a good salesman for the program.

We shall see if it happens. This isn't a bad direction...Marshall was a more sure thing but Johnson is not some last ditch effort to save face. He brings some things to the table that I don't even think Marshall offers.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
He's struck me as an honestly good guy as a coach and analyst. He'd be a good face for the program but he's never been a college coach before...there will probably be some learning curve. It will win the press conference though...and that is a start after a seemingly message-less Grant tenure.
given his personality and passion, he may be a better fit with college kids than he is with the pros.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Even if we hire Little Ricky Pitino, I am supporting the coach until he proves he cannot handle the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
No offense but if you don't know who Avery Johnson is then you haven't followed the NBA or mainstream sports media news very closely at all. Not sure how you can be underwhelmed by somebody that you have never heard of or follower what his professional achievements are.

And it doesn't matter if you have never heard of Avery Johnson. Every high school basketball recruit knows who he is. That's whats important..
No offense taken. I will withhold any judgement and trust Bill Battle's decision. As I said in an earlier post, I supported the hiring of Dubose so my record is not stellar. I hope he can make the transition to college bball.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.