New coach search...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Just to add some reality to this discussion, here are the attendance figures from last season. Bear in mind that Alabama had a horrible year, and the Shockers went undefeated through the regular season:
"35. Alabama 17 1 82,825 10,754
36. Wichita St. 17 182,452 10,732"

So, how on earth can they argue they have better fan support?
I'm not questioning your conclusion, but the WS number is a sellout of their arena while we're sitting at less than 70% percent of capacity. Also, like we do in football, WS apparently runs a waiting list for basketball season tickets.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm not questioning your conclusion, but the WS number is a sellout of their arena while we're sitting at less than 70% percent of capacity. Also, like we do in football, WS apparently runs a waiting list for basketball season tickets.
So your point is that at our worst attendance is already greater than their maximum possible attendance? I agree!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Seems like if it was a definite no to Alabama from Marshall, they would have announced something for sake of recruiting and so forth from the WS end of things. It is plausible he really likes it there and is torn, and is trying to decide. Maybe Tx through a monkeywrench into it all. I for one am thankful for the drama. We could be just dreading next season.
If it was all about the money Coach Saban might be at Texas. So many other factors to weigh..
Marshall obviously appreciates the life he's established in Wichita. He makes very good money, is loved by all the fans, and in many ways is a hometown hero of sorts. Plus, he's coaching at a basketball school that nearly sells out every home game. Finally, his family simply might be happy there.
I don't blame him for weighing all the factors. It's a huge decision for both him and his family.
However, we don't need to wait around too much longer or we're going to get stuck in a less than favorable condition.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
You consider Pitino (the younger) a good coach?
I would consider Pitino an unproven coach. He has a good pedigree, a good resume as an assistant, and certainly a brand-name last name, but he's unproven as a head coach. One year at FIU (a decent/improvement year) and two years at Minnesota (inherited a pretty bare cupboard, won the NIT in year one, backslid somewhat in year two) are not enough to call him a good or bad head coach. No NCAA tournaments on his head coaching resume yet. He hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to leave an imprint.

It would be a very risky hire (and certainly not worth the $$$ we are offering CGM). He might end up being better than his Dad in the long run, but it is too early to tell. Looking at where our program is now (needing a fast jolt) and the resources we have available, Pitino would be a letdown to me.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Most coaches who are sons of good coaches seem to not be very good. Bobby Knight's kid's comes to mind. Pitino has dodne OK at Minnesota, but not 2 or 3 million worth to say the least.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
You consider Pitino (the younger) a good coach?
I just can't believe that would be plan B... I'm too optimistic for that.

Alabama's attendance has been much higher though in better seasons, and the fact that their arena only holds that many says something in and of itself. Admittedly, the number is skewed, but I simply don't buy the notion that their fans are somehow better.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I consider all the Pitino discussion to be worth about as much as the talk about Barnes yesterday.....
I know Cecil Hurt was on jox I believe yesterday. He was asked who the other candidates are if Marshall did not go through (particularly Smart and Pitino) He said he was pretty sure Bama would not go the Shaka Smart route and that he does not believe Pitino is a serious candidate. Cecil is usually up to speed on all things Bama so I guess time will tell.

mjstide

1st Team
Nov 20, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Alabama's attendance has been much higher though in better seasons, and the fact that their arena only holds that many says something in and of itself. Admittedly, the number is skewed, but I simply don't buy the notion that their fans are somehow better.
Not to belabor the point but you do realize that Cameron Indoor Stadium holds only about 9,000 people? Attendance totals mean very little, it is the basketball intelligence and passion of the fans that make up those numbers that makes a bigger difference.

That being said, I do think we have plenty of fans who would become passionate about basketball if we put a winning product on the court.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Not to belabor the point but you do realize that Cameron Indoor Stadium holds only about 9,000 people? Attendance totals mean very little, it is the basketball intelligence and passion of the fans that make up those numbers that makes a bigger difference.

That being said, I do think we have plenty of fans who would become passionate about basketball if we put a winning product on the court.
The fact is Bama supports winners. Softball and I think Gymnastics lead the nation in attendance. It is no coincidence that we've won championships in both sports. We would do the same for a good basketball team. We've been very average for 20 or so years and attendance reflects that problem.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Alabama is the 14th most valuable basketball program in the country according to Forbes. Yes, attendance in and of itself can be misleading, but it's just one of many indicators that Alabama basketball is well supported.

You gotta say it for Hart. He wrapped UT's coaching search in a week. We are at 16 days and counting with a rudderless ship.
If Alabama lands Marshall, I can't find anything to complain about. My main issue was with his team beating Kansas, it both had to have given him more hope and kept him off the market longer. I won't become critical until Alabama gets to plan B without having any good options, then it's time to worry.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.