New coach search...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Texas can't hire Smart and Williams. Other openings are Arizona St. and St. John's. If your Shaka you can stay or have those three choices. He's clearly open to moving so make him a target. There is no way someone like Battle limits his options to 1. They guy is a gazillionaire for a reason. He ain't gonna play "pin the contract on a coach".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Now, Brad Stevens would be a splashy hire. Is he tired of the NBA yet? That's the only splashy hire that I can think of at this time.
Haven't heard that but it wouldn't hurt to call. We don't know what the strategy is or who has contacted us, but I'm just of the opinion that Battle isn't a shoot from the hip kinda guy. He wouldn't have fired Grant if he wasn't sure he could upgrade substantially.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If this Texas stuff is true, then Marshall never wanted to come to Alabama.

Its just too weird that it got out that Alabama was going to pursue Marshall, and that he and his agent spoke so candidly about. You know Battle wasn't dumb enough to leak that info. It's obvious now that Marshall's people did and I believe it was to give Texas a heads up that they needed to go ahead and can Barnes.

Its not over until a dotted line is signed, and I'll hold out hope.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Now, Brad Stevens would be a splashy hire. Is he tired of the NBA yet? That's the only splashy hire that I can think of at this time.
We don't need a splash. We just need someone that can coach, recruit, and promote.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'll say this, if Alabama managed to lure Brad Stevens away from the Celtics, it would take a 5 million dollar a year type of deal. He's making 3.6 million right now, UCLA might have offered him up to 3 million (and that's a nice job).

They would absolutely have to go to the Saban playbook, offer a ton of money and hope he's unhappy. He does not seem like a realistic option though.

In terms of Texas, it isn't that Texas can take up all the options, but they are not the only available job and potential candidates are not all necessarily available. If Texas gets the guy Alabama was going after, by the time Alabama gets to plan B, they might be forced into going with a plan C...

Also, I have no issue with Grant being fired, regardless. I would however be unhappy with Alabama making a desperation hire, especially if there are proven coaches available. There's no need to go Mike Shula with this hire.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
I'll say this, if Alabama managed to lure Brad Stevens away from the Celtics, it would take a 5 million dollar a year type of deal. He's making 3.6 million right now, UCLA might have offered him up to 3 million (and that's a nice job).

They would absolutely have to go to the Saban playbook, offer a ton of money and hope he's unhappy. He does not seem like a realistic option though.

In terms of Texas, it isn't that Texas can take up all the options, but they are not the only available job and potential candidates are not all necessarily available. If Texas gets the guy Alabama was going after, by the time Alabama gets to plan B, they might be forced into going with a plan C...

Also, I have no issue with Grant being fired, regardless. I would however be unhappy with Alabama making a desperation hire, especially if there are proven coaches available. There's no need to go Mike Shula with this hire.
Read Cecil's article. Read LD's post. Competency seems to be the rage with Battle in this hire. Spotlight not so much. Keep in mind that Grant was THE hire when we got him.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Is too much to ask to find a coach that 1). Isn't a control freak, 2). Is a good teacher, 3). Communicates with the community and 4). Can get a good mix of HS Players and Proven JUCO players to field a team that can be competitive?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Is too much to ask to find a coach that 1). Isn't a control freak, 2). Is a good teacher, 3). Communicates with the community and 4). Can get a good mix of HS Players and Proven JUCO players to field a team that can be competitive?
What coaches offer, particularly in basketball is pretty complicated. I guess I'd break it down to three categories (in terms of just results, I suppose you can add an additional category for communication/promotion). Program building, recruiting, coaching.

In terms of program building, I think that's a vital component to long-term success. There are coaches that seem to just go around doing that, not necessarily winning championships, but going from place to place bettering the program. I think you can say that C.M. Newton had that quality, he put Alabama on the right track, he put Vanderbilt on the right track, and he even helped Kentucky get back on track.

Marshall seems to have this trait, he didn't start out with much but he build something where he's at. Alabama could use someone who knows how the basketball program should be run and insure things are put in order.

Then you get into recruiting, that to me was Wimp's strength. He brought the talent in, and if you have talent you are practically guaranteed a certain amount of success. The issue though, and I think both Barnes and Wimp demonstrate this, is that just recruiting isn't going to bring championships.

Finally, there's the coaching part, a great coach can step into the right situation and win right away, go deep into the tournament and so on. The problem is, sometimes a great coach, doesn't manage the other aspects well, the recruiting, the maintenance of a program. I think it's valid to question whether or not Alabama has ever had a truly great coach. None have ever even made it to a final four, anywhere, and sadly Alabama might miss out the chance to have a coach who actually had reached those heights, yet again.

Nick Saban is great because he does all three, Greg Marshall was a great candidate because he clearly can do 2 out of the 3 (recruiting being the only question mark). What scares me though, is when you have the potential to get someone that might not be great at any of those. If the best thing on a guy's resume is a conference title at a mid-major, what does that really say? So I'm just hoping Alabama, no matter what, goes out and gets a guy that has a resume that says more than automatic bid to NCAA tournament. I'm ok with a guy who is mainly a program builder, Alabama can use that, I'm ok with a guy who is mainly a recruiter (as long as he can show some consistency), Alabama can use that, and obviously I think if Alabama finally gets a great coach, they will win.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Okay laugh at me if you will but, if we are out of the running on Marshall, I wouldn't mind Bobby Hurley. I know he has only been in coaching a couple of years at Buffalo but he comes from a basketball/coaching family. The guy was a tough as a two dollar steak as a player.
IF Marshall is no longer a candidate I would prefer Bobby Hurley over Smart, Barnes,White, Prohm and others mentioned so far. I was never a fan of Duke but Hurley was a major component of those teams and he does come from a solid coaching tree, his father and Coach K.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
As I said earlier, Barnes would be a horrible hire. He only has 18 or so NCAA wins in all those years at Tejas. He made the tourney, but can't do much other than that. Gottfried with a higher salary. Not to mentioned he benefitted from a conference that is NOT deep. ALL his years at Providence and Clemson (2 b'ball power conferences) I think he NEVER finished higher than 3rd or 4th during the regular season. Once again, Gottfried 2.0.

And that is only the good things about Barnes. He is a snake in the grass. He is NOT the kind of coach we want.

As for if Marshall turns us down, if we are really paying $5 million a year, we will have good coaches knocking and sniffing around. 5 million is a top 5 paying job, people WILL listen.

But I'm telling you now, Rick Barnes will be a disaster for us.

Shaka Smart, Bobby Hurley, Steve Prohm, and the janitor are all better options than Barnes. Nobody is crying in Austin for a reason (I know they are half fools in Austin) so that should tell you something. With T.J. Ford and Kevin Durant he should have at least 2 titles but he always finds a way to lose. Yes he can recruit some, but other than that he is very average.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I would even rather see Steve Lavin here as well. There are plenty to offer out there that would be better fits than Barnes.

Sent from my LG G2 4GLTE via Verizon

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
IF Marshall is no longer a candidate I would prefer Bobby Hurley over Smart, Barnes,White, Prohm and others mentioned so far. I was never a fan of Duke but Hurley was a major component of those teams and he does come from a solid coaching tree, his father and Coach K.
But what has he done as a coach? This type of hire to me is the one Alabama really needs to avoid. He's coached two years, he's gone to the NCAA tournament once, if that somehow proves he's better than a guy who went 19 out of 20 times, I can't figure out how... Same with Steven Prohm, one automatic bid to the tournament in four years, and that was his first year. That to me looks like a disaster.

Alabama does not need an automatic bid guy, they don't... they'd benefit far more from a good recruiter, or anyone who has proven themselves. But, at this point, Alabama unfortunately has a decent chance of doing worse than Gottfried. He's been to the NCAA tournament the past 4 years, Alabama? Eh, not so much, and some unproven, one time automatic bid guy is hardly likely to turn things around.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Brad Stevens has been my top choice all along. I've just assumed that he will stick with the NBA for 1 more year. I don't follow the NBA so I have no idea how his season is going although a week or so ago someone here said that the Celtics were fighting for the last playoff slot.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
Brad Stevens has been my top choice all along. I've just assumed that he will stick with the NBA for 1 more year. I don't follow the NBA so I have no idea how his season is going although a week or so ago someone here said that the Celtics were fighting for the last playoff slot.
I don't see why Stevens would want to leave the NBA. He is starting to turn around one of the most prestigious teams in the league in a terrible Eastern Conference. I feel like Boston would do whatever it takes to keep him

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.