New coach search...

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Either the number includes the bonuses or it is a rumor-inflated number.

Hoping Texas isn't interested. I doubt we could outspend them, and I honestly have no idea about the fit but I do believe we'd give him far more control of the program with less meddling than Texas would.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I doubt that would happen, but Pearl would fit right in at Memphis. A basketball crazy school with a long history of skirting NCAA rules.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
For one of the first times on this thread, Sip, I agree. Why triple his current salary when we can double it first?

Interesting excerpt from al.com on Texas as a possible competitor for Marshall or whomever:

"Texas would be one of the athletic departments with the financial resources to compete with Alabama should it come down to a bidding war. It spent $9.5 million on men's basketball last year compared to Alabama's $6.5 million, according to the U.S. Department of Education. Texas' total athletics budget was $145.9 million in 2013-14 while Alabama's was $115 million."
They compete in more sports than we do and those figures are 2 years old. Our revenue was somewhere around 145 million last year. Very comparable. Texas is a school I would not got to for any amount of money. There is way too much politics. I suspect all they can do at this point is drive us up on salary and may have already.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
If it's true it's a totally insane contract. I hope it isn't true. No coach who hasn't won nor played for a national title merits that much money. That's a million more than Urban Meyer made last year, and he's won three national titles. That would be ridiculous.
People said the same thing about Saban's salary. A couple of points, Saban's salary is cheap compared to the return on investment. He has brought billions in return to the university. A successful basketball coach would be an outstanding investment. Bama fans are eager for success in basketball. Second, it's the right time in history to make the investment. If he is successful he could change the perception of Bama basketball forever. It's time to win a national title in basketball. bama Athletics is developing into one of the top programs in the nation. This what we have to do to be competitive in basketball.

The amount stated is just a rumor, regardless we need to pay the appropriate amount to be the premier program we all want to be. New territory for Bama fans but exciting. This is what a well run athelitic deparment looks like.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They compete in more sports than we do and those figures are 2 years old. Our revenue was somewhere around 145 million last year. Very comparable. Texas is a school I would not got to for any amount of money. There is way too much politics. I suspect all they can do at this point is drive us up on salary and may have already.
Actually we sponsor more sports. They sponsor everything we do except for gymnastics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Longhorns#Varsity_sports

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Hoping Texas isn't interested. I doubt we could outspend them, and I honestly have no idea about the fit but I do believe we'd give him far more control of the program with less meddling than Texas would.
TE, if it comes down to Texas, one big factor would be outside of our control -- a conference and region that pays a lot more attention to basketball than the SEC.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We don't really want to get caught in bidding war between the Koch brothers and Texas. Texas can spend as much as Alabama, that much is not in doubt.

The question then would come down to which place he'd feel more comfortable, and it's really hard to say which he'd prefer. Texas has had more success, but as they just proved, they also demand more than going to the NCAA tournament every year. I'd prefer they set their sights on someone else though, and they might do that anyway (unless Marshall is a clear #1). Why would they risk missing out on a guy they want just to try stick it to Alabama?

Edit: Don't forget about the SEC network though. That's a factor and is likely to become a larger factor in coming years. It puts SEC games on a lot of television sets and you can't match the SEC's overall exposure. That's one reason why an increased investment and basketball makes so much sense for Alabama, the audience is there.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
People said the same thing about Saban's salary. A couple of points, Saban's salary is cheap compared to the return on investment. He has brought billions in return to the university. A successful basketball coach would be an outstanding investment. Bama fans are eager for success in basketball. Second, it's the right time in history to make the investment. If he is successful he could change the perception of Bama basketball forever. It's time to win a national title in basketball. bama Athletics is developing into one of the top programs in the nation. This what we have to do to be competitive in basketball.

The amount stated is just a rumor, regardless we need to pay the appropriate amount to be the premier program we all want to be. New territory for Bama fans but exciting. This is what a well run athelitic deparment looks like.
Saban had won a national title and turned programs around at Michigan State and LSU. Both schools had become pretty bad programs and faced incredible odds in two of the toughest power conferences in America.
He was not a gamble at all, and Mal Moore knew it.
Wichita State doesn't play in a power conference, Marshall's coached at Winthrop and Wichita State.
He has no national titles, has never played for one, and has never made a final four.
He may turn out to be the next John Wooden, and, if we hire him, I hope to goodness he is!!!!!
But right now, in my opinion, he's not worth even being in a discussion for that kind of money, UNLESS it's a 2.5 million base with a ton of incentives. I have no problem with a coach making miliions and millions off of incentives. The more he makes, the more championships we win.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Billions in return? Please show me that breakdown. Regardless, let's just start a coach at 1 mil the first and give him a 1 mil raise each year with no buyout....I know that's stupid, but so is a 5.25 mil. 6 year contract. Oh, and by the way, let's pay the President of the University the same.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Edit: Don't forget about the SEC network though. That's a factor and is likely to become a larger factor in coming years. It puts SEC games on a lot of television sets and you can't match the SEC's overall exposure. That's one reason why an increased investment and basketball makes so much sense for Alabama, the audience is there.
Hey, Texas has The Longhorn Network.

Saban had won a national title and turned programs around at Michigan State and LSU. Both schools had become pretty bad programs and faced incredible odds in two of the toughest power conferences in America.
He was not a gamble at all, and Mal Moore knew it.
Wichita State doesn't play in a power conference, Marshall's coached at Winthrop and Wichita State.
He has no national titles, has never played for one, and has never made a final four.
He may turn out to be the next John Wooden, and, if we hire him, I hope to goodness he is!!!!!
But right now, in my opinion, he's not worth even being in a discussion for that kind of money, UNLESS it's a 2.5 million base with a ton of incentives. I have no problem with a coach making miliions and millions off of incentives. The more he makes, the more championships we win.
Sip, he took Wichita to the Final Four in 2013.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Billions in return? Please show me that breakdown. Regardless, let's just start a coach at 1 mil the first and give him a 1 mil raise each year with no buyout....I know that's stupid, but so is a 5.25 mil. 6 year contract. Oh, and by the way, let's pay the President of the University the same.
Comparing coaching salaries to that of university presidents is an apple and orange comparison. The vast majority of coach's salaries are paid from the athletic dept which is funded with private dollars. Otoh, University officials, including college presidents, are paid directly by the university.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Agree, that number seems out of bounds as a base salary but could be accurate with built in achievement payments. I would make our best offer and not get into a bidding war with texas. Marshall's due diligence should determine program control from each school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.