New coach search...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Lots of teams have beaten us, that's why we're in the situation we currently find ourselves in. I'm not knocking the guy, I just found the post trying to show how poor Wichita's conference was in comparison to the SEC, and using it as a reason to come here, a bit ironic. I think the post could just as easily be seen, as I did, as a means of diminishing his success. With that said, based upon nothing more than reading his words over the past couple of years, I still don't think he's coming.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
WSU Record in 2014 NCAA tourney
Defeated Cal Poly in first round, 64-37
Lost to Kentucky in second round, 78-76

Defeated Pittsburgh in first round, 73-55
Defeated Gonzaga in second round, 76-70
Defeated La Salle in regional semifinal, 72-58
Defeated Ohio State in regional final, 70-66
Lost to Louisville in National Semifinal, 72-68

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I hate that all this is getting plastered all over the media. Can't be good for WSU and Marshall and it won't be good for us if he turns us down in a broadcasted conference.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I'm older, but before I retired, a job making 1.7 million would have certainly been life changing. I guess a million dollars ain't what it used to be. :wink:
I'm actually working on my third million right now. I gave up on the first two. :biggrin:

What is the old saying "A million dollars here, a million dollars there. Pretty soon we'll be talking REAL money......"?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Lots of teams have beaten us, that's why we're in the situation we currently find ourselves in. I'm not knocking the guy, I just found the post trying to show how poor Wichita's conference was in comparison to the SEC, and using it as a reason to come here, a bit ironic. I think the post could just as easily be seen, as I did, as a means of diminishing his success. With that said, based upon nothing more than reading his words over the past couple of years, I still don't think he's coming.
^^this^^

I think Marshall will just use Bama to get a big raise...hope not, but that''s JMHO.

Winning in the SEC is not nearly as easy as in the MVC. Sure WSU is 30-4 and they did beat Kansas, but their SOS was #120 and road trips to Lexington, Gainesville, Fayetteville, etc. aren't nearly as easy as road trips to play Loyola-Chicago. Missouri St., Indiana St., etc.
Now he's the "big fish", down here he's gonna be second fiddle to CNS and Bama football. For 4-5 million per year, we'll need to be at least close to Kentucky. We don't need to be second in the SEC like Arky was.

Athens-LA-Tide

All-SEC
Feb 6, 2001
Ptown, OR
www.urbagedesigns.com
If one was to follow this thread and can gage statistics, do yall think we're at a majority as Marshall is our #1 and Smart is #2? Last week it looked Crean #1....

Can't imagine Smart waiting around on the finally! Dude is gonna get a few offers....

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
If one was to follow this thread and can gage statistics, do yall think we're at a majority as Marshall is our #1 and Smart is #2? Last week it looked Crean #1....

Can't imagine Smart waiting around on the finally! Dude is gonna get a few offers....
Hopefully there is a line of communication to all parties. I don't want to have egg on our face if we get rejected and don't have a reasonable back up plan.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I don't see why would have "egg on our face"? I don't get it. As long as we try, and if we get another good coach it doesn't bother me.

Hopefully there is a line of communication to all parties. I don't want to have egg on our face if we get rejected and don't have a reasonable back up plan.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I don't see why would have "egg on our face"? I don't get it. As long as we try, and if we get another good coach it doesn't bother me.
Only from the media: big bad Alabama tried to lure poor lil Wichita coach with a truck load of money but he turned them down. That type of media reporting is what I expect if he turns us down.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Phineas Phinebaum tried floating that trial balloon this afternoon. Said Alabama "ran the risk of throwing a lot of money around only to be turned down by coach at Wichita State." Whut? Obviously Marshall is a pretty darn good coach and probably one of the best available. He has had plenty of suitors over the last several years, even the likes of one time perennial basketball power UCLA. Did UCLA walk away after being shunned with egg on it's face? No. There is nothing wrong with trying to land the best possible coach for your program, regardless if he happens to be at Duke, Gonzaga, Murray State or Wichita State.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If he really did make those comments then I don't think it's likely he will come. Those statements are imo pretty offensive to alot of programs not just Alabama. And I do think it's an indication of how he would expect to fit in our athletic department. Even CNS himself wouldn't consider saying something like that publicly. He has always been supportive of the other programs and I am not sure we would be getting that with Marshall. If you take his comments seriously he has closed himself off to alot jobs. Even at a place like Kansas the football program is the primary bill payer.

And alot is going to have to change wi the our program because nobody cares about basketball until the middle of January anyway.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Cary Clark responded in a thread from another site that unless something changed in the next week Marshall would be the next Bama coach. He said this was according to "sourced info".

i.e., Marshall has agreed in principle. Darron Boatright, former Bama staffer for 8 years, has been the Sr. Associate AD at WSU for 5 years. He likely been giving Marshall the scoop on Bama.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Cary Clark responded in a thread from another site that unless something changed in the next week Marshall would be the next Bama coach. He said this was according to "sourced info".

i.e., Marshall has agreed in principle. Darron Boatright, former Bama staffer for 8 years, has been the Sr. Associate AD at WSU for 5 years. He likely been giving Marshall the scoop on Bama.
I'm glad to hear this and also sad to hear this. WSU is in the middle of a run and I wish the "scooping" would hold off until the man is done.

Of course, rumor has it...;)

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If it was all about money, Coach Saban would be a Longhorn.
We're not going to hire Marshall. We could offer to make him the highest paid coach in college basketball and he'd turn us down. If you have to ask me why, then you don't know why.
So is the second, third, or fourth choice, going to be perceived as a lousy choice? A failure?
That's what concerns me. You talk about pressure on a new coach.
sip

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If it was all about money, Coach Saban would be a Longhorn.
We're not going to hire Marshall. We could offer to make him the highest paid coach in college basketball and he'd turn us down. If you have to ask me why, then you don't know why.
So is the second, third, or fourth choice, going to be perceived as a lousy choice? A failure?
That's what concerns me. You talk about pressure on a new coach.
sip
I don't know why, so please tell me why? Or is this another riddle we have to figure out?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Who is Cary Clark?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.