New coach search...

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
and everyone agrees, the spurs are not the norm in the NBA...

You have apparently never watched the Spurs. Sure they have good players, but the system is what makes it work. No player on the Spurs are probably the top player in the league at their position, they just are very disciplined. All the NBA teams have talent, the difference is often the coaching.

As far as Marshall, I believe he is ours to lose. UK could be a problem, but I think Texas is a non starter. Much like Saban, he does not want boosters telling him how to run his team and UT is notorious for big donors interfering with their teams. UK is the premier job in America and I would not blame him if he took it, but I know the boosters there will give Cal whatever he asks for to stay. It may be he just wants a big raise. Coaches are very egotistical though, but it ceases to become about the money at some point. It becomes about their coaching legacy. Does he want to be known as one of the great coaches in NCAA history or does he want to be known as a coach who moves around every 5 years. The other factors may be when he has left every program, they have had NCAA issues. He may be just ahead of the NCAA posse.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Call me crazy but I wonder if some of these rumors that have suddenly popped up about SEC coaches leaving for the NBA are an attempt to keep Marshall away from UA? Perhaps I'm being overly paranoid but it just sounds fishy to me.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Well, no issue there. X's and O's just barely enter into an NBA coach's duties.
Have you ever watched an NBA game? The spurs and the hawks are the best example. They are winning because of their coaching and X's and O's. Watch an NBA coach out of a TO draw up a half court set. It's usually a brilliant thing to watch!

Also I think Coach Cal's label of not a very good X's and O's coach is very unfair. Watch his in game adjustments or strictly his system in general. I actually use his dribble drive motion offensive system. I think it's an unfair label. You don't have to run a million different half court sets to be a good X's and O's coach. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Agreed! The best offense is the offense that allows your team to score. Best Defense is vise versa!

Have you ever watched an NBA game? The spurs and the hawks are the best example. They are winning because of their coaching and X's and O's. Watch an NBA coach out of a TO draw up a half court set. It's usually a brilliant thing to watch!

Also I think Coach Cal's label of not a very good X's and O's coach is very unfair. Watch his in game adjustments or strictly his system in general. I actually use his dribble drive motion offensive system. I think it's an unfair label. You don't have to run a million different half court sets to be a good X's and O's coach. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Don't underestimate Alabama's ability to make Gregg Marshall say 'Roll Tide!'

The more you talk to people who know Gregg Marshall, the easier it is to believe that the only game he's playing in Cleveland is Notre Dame tonight in the Sweet 16.

If Marshall says he's happy at Wichita State, he's not playing games with his employer. If he says he'll listen when his season ends if Alabama makes an offer, he's not playing games with Alabama.

Marshall may or may not be the next Alabama basketball coach, but it sounds like it would be out of character for him to play games with Bill Battle.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
247 Sports' Jerry Meyer was on 104.5 in Nashville just now and said sources are telling him that Tyndall will be "terminated" & it's a "doomsday" scenario. Looks like we'll be competing with Tennessee for a coach soon.

Here's an update from GoVols247.

The NCAA is calling Tennessee today to discuss the findings of its investigation into Coach Donnie Tyndall’s tenure at Southern Miss, a source close to the investigation told GoVols247.

According to the source, the NCAA’s call essentially will be an informal presentation of the findings that will be in its formal Notice of Allegations in a few weeks.

Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart and Tyndall plan to meet soon after Hart and UT’s lawyers speak with the NCAA, and a decision on Tyndall’s future likely would be made at or shortly after that meeting.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
247 Sports' Jerry Meyer was on 104.5 in Nashville just now and said sources are telling him that Tyndall will be "terminated" & it's a "doomsday" scenario. Looks like we'll be competing with Tennessee for a coach soon.

They are broke at the moment and up to their ears in debt. I'd be surprised if they could come close to us on an offer. They will look at lower tier mid major coaches they can get for under 2 million. Besides, would you want to go to a school who fired 2 of their last 3 coaches for NCAA issues and ran the 3rd one off.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

I don't think UT will be fishing in the same pond as us although they could land a good coach. Unless the recent influx of SEC Network dollars has bailed them out, they were in deep financial trouble a couple of years ago so they really aren't in competition with us. That is also assuming they can fire Tyndall with-cause and do not have to shell out even more dollars to get rid of Tyndall and his assistants.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
They are broke at the moment and up to their ears in debt. I'd be surprised if they could come close to us on an offer. They will look at lower tier mid major coaches they can get for under 2 million. Besides, would you want to go to a school who fired 2 of their last 3 coaches for NCAA issues and ran the 3rd one off.
Great minds think alike!

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
The way I look at it, it is not the fault of Gregg Marshall that he is considered to be the top/hottest college basketball coach who is perceived to be in the top position to move up the "food chain" to a better paying, Power 5 conference coaching job. Nor is it the fault of Alabama, Coach Battle, or the press for that matter.

The rumor mill is going to do what the rumor mill does, matching him up to the best opportunity with a mixture of solidly-sourced pursuit/back-channel maneuvering and pure speculation. The press is going to ask the questions.

In my estimation, he has answered the questions candidly and as forthrightly as he could. He hasn't ducked or dodged what's on everybody's mind, but he has expounded on his thought process in a way that is not disrespectful either to his current employers or to those who want to pursue him. And he's done it in a way that shouldn't be a distraction to his current team's march through the tournament. Very impressive.

I doubt he's made his mind up in terms of "stay or go". He'll listen. And we'd probably be naive to think it is either Wichita State or Alabama. Other jobs may open up that he'd consider. But Coach Battle has at least made us a player in this deal and that's a good thing. If Marshall and his agent weren't at least interested in flirting, chances are that the rumor mill would move in a different direction. We as a university have shown a willingness in the past to plow new ground in terms of coaching salaries, and that has to carry some serious allure.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
First of all, I like Marshall, think he's an outstanding coach and will support him 1,000 per cent if we hire him.
Still, if we're willing to pay him more than Izzo makes at Michigan State, why not give Izzo that raise and hire a proven national title winner, who just happens to be buds with Saban. Maybe he wouldn't be interested at all but I'd dang sure give him the opportunity to say no.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
First of all, I like Marshall, think he's an outstanding coach and will support him 1,000 per cent if we hire him.
Still, if we're willing to pay him more than Izzo makes at Michigan State, why not give Izzo that raise and hire a proven national title winner, who just happens to be buds with Saban. Maybe he wouldn't be interested at all but I'd dang sure give him the opportunity to say no.

Don't you think this subject has already come up?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I had the same thought, but I don't think he'd leave MSU for all the tea in China. He is a Michigan native and has lived there almost all of his life. I suspect we may have had someone at Alabama who knows him broach the subject with Izzo. He suggested Crean who is unhappy at Indiana, but he had 8 million dollars in baggage.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.