New coach search...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wanted to take a look at UT's finances, and well Alabama's athletic department makes 30 million more than Tennessee and is in better financial shape as well.

This highlights an issue Alabama seems to have developed, they are actually too stingy with their resources. The only spend 6 million more per year than Tennessee and Wisconsin pulled ahead of Alabama in total revenue on the chart I'm looking at, but they spend 30 million more per year.

If you sort it by expenses, Alabama in a near tie at 4th, but there are several schools in the top 10 spending every penny they get to keep pace (Wisconsin, Penn State, Tennessee, Iowa and Auburn). I'm not saying Alabama should spend every penny they get, but having the largest profit margin it not something athletic departments typically aim for, yet that's where Alabama is right now.

This is a great chance to invest that money and if they can turn Alabama into if nothing else an SEC basketball power again, they could give Texas some competition at the top in total revenue.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I wanted to take a look at UT's finances, and well Alabama's athletic department makes 30 million more than Tennessee and is in better financial shape as well.

This highlights an issue Alabama seems to have developed, they are actually too stingy with their resources. The only spend 6 million more per year than Tennessee and Wisconsin pulled ahead of Alabama in total revenue on the chart I'm looking at, but they spend 30 million more per year.

If you sort it by expenses, Alabama in a near tie at 4th, but there are several schools in the top 10 spending every penny they get to keep pace (Wisconsin, Penn State, Tennessee, Iowa and Auburn). I'm not saying Alabama should spend every penny they get, but having the largest profit margin it not something athletic departments typically aim for, yet that's where Alabama is right now.

This is a great chance to invest that money and if they can turn Alabama into if nothing else an SEC basketball power again, they could give Texas some competition at the top in total revenue.
Does the list indicate how much those schools are spending on former coaches and/or current coaches' buyouts? Tennessee and Auburn went through a string of coaching hires in multiple sports at one time.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Looks like It's real Bad for UT coach... He could be fired within hours... I would see UT to chase someone who can turn around the program real quick, unless they call Pearl and tell him to come on home....

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
First of all, I like Marshall, think he's an outstanding coach and will support him 1,000 per cent if we hire him.
Still, if we're willing to pay him more than Izzo makes at Michigan State, why not give Izzo that raise and hire a proven national title winner, who just happens to be buds with Saban. Maybe he wouldn't be interested at all but I'd dang sure give him the opportunity to say no.
If Izzo were unhappy with his salary he could have already been making more, much more, than what he is currently making.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Looks like It's real Bad for UT coach... He could be fired within hours... I would see UT to chase someone who can turn around the program real quick, unless they call Pearl and tell him to come on home....
UT has a history of hiring coaches right after their team knocked Bama out of tourney so my money is on Jim Larrañaga. :)

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I really don't see an area that they do not spend what is needed. They do about as good a job in managing the athletics dept as anyone and I am sure Battle has had an effect on the bottom line. The only thing I would like to see is a new basketball multipurpose arena and make hockey a division 1 sport at Alabama. I'd love to have an arena that would accommodate Ice hockey as well like the BJCC used to do. I used to go the Birmingham Bulls games in the 70's. I miss Bad News Bedadeau.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Turn the COleman into hockey stadium and then build a new basketball arena. Sound feasible.

I really don't see an area that they do not spend what is needed. They do about as good a job in managing the athletics dept as anyone and I am sure Battle has had an effect on the bottom line. The only thing I would like to see is a new basketball multipurpose arena and make hockey a division 1 sport at Alabama. I'd love to have an arena that would accommodate Ice hockey as well like the BJCC used to do. I used to go the Birmingham Bulls games in the 70's. I miss Bad News Bedadeau.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
...I miss Bad News Bedadeau.
The late Gilles Bad News Bilodeau, 1955-2008, RIP. To keep this relative to the Search thread, if 'Bama were making a basketball coaching change with Bad News' persona in mind, Gene Hackman would be transported straight in from the set of "Hoosiers" with Maurice Lucas in his hip pocket.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
The late Gilles Bad News Bilodeau, 1955-2008, RIP. To keep this relative to the Search thread, if 'Bama were making a basketball coaching change with Bad News' persona in mind, Gene Hackman would be transported straight in from the set of "Hoosiers" with Maurice Lucas in his hip pocket.
Thanks for correcting me on his name. Been a few years. Ironically enough my 1st beer was there. Maybe why I got his name wrong.

Finebaum was interviewing one of his ESPN colleagues about UK and Coach Cal.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The saving grace for UT in the situation with Tyndall is that there is clause in his contract that would void his $3 million buyout if involved with NCAA infractions at any member institution. Biggest problem for them is the appearance of a program in disarray, playing fruit basket turnover with coaches over the last 3 years.

That said, I don't think Hart has a choice. Tyndall has to go. But, I don't think they would be a player in the Gregg Marshall sweepstakes though.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
BOL is reporting:

1. As far as a "list", there is Marshall and that's all right now.

2. Expect Saban to resume the same position he did in getting Grant to Alabama.

3. Marshall will have everything he needs including Autonomy to make Alabama a Basketball power.

4. SEC Network is an attraction.

I've seen other things ranging all the way to "shoe contracts" as part of the deal. Evidently though there is no "short list" at this moment.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wait, we don't have a list.. beyond Marshall? We don't have a back up plan? Oh lord, i'm going to watch the game tonight....
BOL is reporting:

3. Marshall will have everything he needs including Autonomy to make Alabama a Basketball power.

I've seen other things ranging all the way to "shoe contracts" as part of the deal. Evidently though there is no "short list" at this moment.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
BOL is reporting:

I saw that WSU doesn't get paid to use equipment like Bama does from Nike. I think their agreement was 125 pairs of shoes and some bags. This illustrates the difference between WSU and us. The more I see, the more I think the deal is done, assuming another higher profile job doesn't come along and his wife likes what she sees. I wonder if she has already visited. Anyone track the UA plan lately. I think we'll find out shortly after his team finishes the tourney.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
BOL is reporting:

As long as Finebaum doesn't make fun of CGM wife I think we have our coach! (Blue Font)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
BOL is reporting:

I'm curious about shoe contract mention.

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
Now it sounds as if Tennessee will be entering the mix for a coach. However, no one up here seems to think there going to be willing to spend the kind of money that Alabama will stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Yes, I don't think Tennessee will be a factor. The only two programs that would pose a problem for Alabama as far as competition (that have been rumored to possibly be coming open) are Texas and Kentucky. JMO. Of course, chances are neither of those programs will be in need of a coach any time soon.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
As far as a backup plan goes, I have no doubt that we have been contacted by numerous coaches since our job opened up. Based on the rumors about Shaka Smart, I assume he contacted us because I'm certain we haven't contacted him. He would probably be my Plan B if Plan A doesn't work out.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.