New coach search...

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I find it kind of hard to believe that Texas forced out Barnes. He's the winningest all time coach at Texas. He's only missed the NCAA tournament once in his career at Texas. He's made the final four, and he's only been stuck in the first round 3 times at Texas. That's incredibly consistent and as far as I can tell his resume is a lot better than Howland or Crean's. It makes me wonder who dictated the timing of his departure, did Texas or did he want to be free of them while other jobs were still available? He's not my top option, but I do think he's at the top of the available "proven coaches", he's 60, he's coached at Providence, Clemson, and Texas. He'd be a pretty effective punt, and the next AD could come in and get his guy in a few years.

It's just so hard to fathom why Texas wanted him gone, Texas has gone to the NCAA tournament a lot, yes.. but that's because he took them there! He is personally responsible for half of their NCAA tournament appearances...

Anyway, I want Marshall, but really... if Alabama was "stuck" with bringing a guy that knows how to get to the NCAA tournament every single year, and knows how top level basketball programs operate, I think Alabama could do far worse.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Agree with your general sentiment, but that isn't close to what K makes.

Doubt that's an accurate figure anyway though.
IIRC, I read an article a while back that said Coach K's base salary was less than five million per yer but with bonuses,deferred compensation etc. his total compensation was almost double that a couple of years back. Regardless, he's in no danger of being homeless. :biggrin:

While we don't know what makes up that "rumored salary", and you're probably right, it's not accurate anyway...IMO it's to much for an unproven coach.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Notre Dame would have beaten any team in the Sweet 16 last night with the exception of Kentucky. Marshall is a very good coach and whether or not we get him is still TBD. If Barnes is canned in Austin it could come down to a bidding war between Alabama and Texas.
Notre Dam is simply a good team this year. I've watched Carolina play them twice this year and they are better than what people give them credit for. Just too bad they have Kentucky next because it's over now. Don't be surprised if they give them fits though.

No Barnes please.
Yea go back and see me and Ldlane's quotes from a few nights ago about Barnes. I would honestly quit going to Bama games and would protest ever being a Bama basketball fan again if Barnes was our head coach.

That's the Brando chorus - BB isn't as important here as UT. I guess, even with the damage done by Hobbs, CMG (latter years) and Grant, we are still second behind UK. However, we all know Brando is an idiot. It almost killed him to see CNS come here. Maybe Marshall will finish him off...
Yep that's all it boils down to. He hates anything that makes us stronger.

Just a thought for those worried about the timing of the announcement - the NCAA probably wouldn't like for Alabama to announce such a hire during the Elite Eight. Depending on the time Sunday, the games will be over.
I say screw the NCAA and announce it DURING some games:biggrin:

My gut feeling is that Shaka Smart will be in the mix at Texas.
That is my gut feeling too.

If we don't get Marshall, I would have no problem in getting Rick Barnes. He was an assistant under Wimp back in the day at Alabama. He has been a head coach for 28 seasons (George Mason - 1 year, Providence - 6 years, Clemson - 4 years, & Texas - 17 years). He has taken teams to 22 NCAA tourneys and only has two losing seasons. He would be my 2nd choice.
And one of the biggest scumbags in the coaching community. Yea we should be proud. Remember, he even had Kevin Durant and a nasty recruiting class and could only get the #3 seed in the Big12 and got smashed in the NCAA's against USC. That's the coach we need alright.

and in 28 seasons as head coach 3 reg season championships and 1 conference tourney champ.. thanks but no thanks
Correct! That is just a "small" part of the reasons as well!

I believe this to be true. It was when he was head coach at Providence and Hobbs was head coach at Alabama. I heard this from someone close to Hobbs. When we played them in the first round of the NCAA tournament, they were very happy that Bama knocked Providence out of the tournament because of this. Also, Barnes was only an assistant at UA for one year. I don't think that Wimp was sad when he left.
I didn't even like Barnes before I read this. It fits his M.O. PERFECTLY!!

Rumor we've offered $5.25 Mil for 6 years to Marshall.
WOW! I'm not sure I quite believe that one (not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying they might have it wrong) as that would put Marshall roughly 4th in the nation in total pay (that includes bonuses and ALL) behind Coach Rat at Dookie, Pitino, and Calipari. He would be banking more than Bill Self, Billy Donovan, and Tom Izzo. Not sure he deserves to be in that range yet.

That does sound... well crazy, but Alabama could pay that entire contract off with profit from the athletic department in one year. But... I really, really don't see Alabama paying a basketball coach 5 million per year. That's Pitino/Calipari money, it makes it almost impossible to not overpay going forward. I could see them approaching Izzo or Donovan money (3.9). For the record, Texas was paying 2.6 and Alabama was paying 1.8 I think? Gottfried is making 2, so I think we all agree Alabama should pay more than 2, heh...
I would be happy with the low to mid 3's at most unless he has some huge bonuses for making the tourney and yada yada. To me, the 5's are ludicrous for Marshall. We could probably get a top name to start thinking about us at that kind of price.

If Alabama pays their next coach 3.5 million+, they both can afford it and are saying without a doubt that basketball matters. The act in and of itself should yield better results, by increasing exposure, and essentially letting it be known nationwide that Alabama is a player in the basketball world.
I know we could afford it, but to me paying him THAT much would be a walking disaster. People would be ready to burn him at the stake if he didn't make the tourney in the 1st year for sure.

Are the Koch brothers going to cough up 3.5 million a year for a basketball coach?
Thing is, would they WANT to pay Marshall that much? A lot of guys like them figure they can pay the same for another coach to come in and do just as good.

Sorry CGM isn't worth that much. That's more than Krzyewski makes at Duke.
You might want to look up those numbers again. Nobody makes more than him. He is in the high 9's now.

Or that rumor may not even be true.
That's what I'm thinking.

I doubt that would happen, but Pearl would fit right in at Memphis. A basketball crazy school with a long history of skirting NCAA rules.
That would be BEYOND funny to see them crumble that quick in basketball. Pearl could be dangerous there too.

We don't really want to get caught in bidding war between the Koch brothers and Texas. Texas can spend as much as Alabama, that much is not in doubt.
I think Texas would be more of a Shaka Smart lean than Marshall IMHO.

For Pearl it would be a great move. Memphis is one of the few southern urban cities that somehow seems to continue to be loaded with high school talent every single year.
He would definitely win big at Memphis.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Wow, you took the time to quote everyone.. I admire you!
Notre Dam is simply a good team this year. I've watched Carolina play them twice this year and they are better than what people give them credit for. Just too bad they have Kentucky next because it's over now. Don't be surprised if they give them fits though.

Yea go back and see me and Ldlane's quotes from a few nights ago about Barnes. I would honestly quit going to Bama games and would protest ever being a Bama basketball fan again if Barnes was our head coach.

Yep that's all it boils down to. He hates anything that makes us stronger.

I say screw the NCAA and announce it DURING some games:biggrin:

That is my gut feeling too.

And one of the biggest scumbags in the coaching community. Yea we should be proud. Remember, he even had Kevin Durant and a nasty recruiting class and could only get the #3 seed in the Big12 and got smashed in the NCAA's against USC. That's the coach we need alright.

Correct! That is just a "small" part of the reasons as well!

I didn't even like Barnes before I read this. It fits his M.O. PERFECTLY!!

WOW! I'm not sure I quite believe that one (not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying they might have it wrong) as that would put Marshall roughly 4th in the nation in total pay (that includes bonuses and ALL) behind Coach Rat at Dookie, Pitino, and Calipari. He would be banking more than Bill Self, Billy Donovan, and Tom Izzo. Not sure he deserves to be in that range yet.

I would be happy with the low to mid 3's at most unless he has some huge bonuses for making the tourney and yada yada. To me, the 5's are ludicrous for Marshall. We could probably get a top name to start thinking about us at that kind of price.

I know we could afford it, but to me paying him THAT much would be a walking disaster. People would be ready to burn him at the stake if he didn't make the tourney in the 1st year for sure.

Thing is, would they WANT to pay Marshall that much? A lot of guys like them figure they can pay the same for another coach to come in and do just as good.

You might want to look up those numbers again. Nobody makes more than him. He is in the high 9's now.

That's what I'm thinking.

That would be BEYOND funny to see them crumble that quick in basketball. Pearl could be dangerous there too.

I think Texas would be more of a Shaka Smart lean than Marshall IMHO.

He would definitely win big at Memphis.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Saban had won a national title and turned programs around at Michigan State and LSU. Both schools had become pretty bad programs and faced incredible odds in two of the toughest power conferences in America.
He was not a gamble at all, and Mal Moore knew it.
Wichita State doesn't play in a power conference, Marshall's coached at Winthrop and Wichita State.
He has no national titles, has never played for one, and has never made a final four.
He may turn out to be the next John Wooden, and, if we hire him, I hope to goodness he is!!!!!
But right now, in my opinion, he's not worth even being in a discussion for that kind of money, UNLESS it's a 2.5 million base with a ton of incentives. I have no problem with a coach making miliions and millions off of incentives. The more he makes, the more championships we win.
I agree with you.

I think $2-$2.5 million base with an incentive to win the SEC title and to be in the March Madness Dance + a final 4 + a final 2 + a National Championship.

If we don't get Marshall and if Texas fires Barnes, I think we need to hire him. He has a proven record. Give him that $2.5 to to $2.75 million with lots of the above INCENTIVES in the contract.

I wouldn't pay Marshall more than a $2 million base with lots of incentives. They've got to have a REASON to be PRODUCTIVE.
The boosters can buy him a $1 to $1.5 mil. home + $150,000 budget for the wife to purchase furniture to make the move easier. If I didn't add in pay for the move from Wichita, then add that too.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree with you.

I think $2-$2.5 million base with an incentive to win the SEC title and to be in the March Madness Dance + a final 4 + a final 2 + a National Championship.

If we don't get Marshall and if Texas fires Barnes, I think we need to hire him. He has a proven record. Give him that $2.5 to to $2.75 million with lots of the above INCENTIVES in the contract.

I wouldn't pay Marshall more than a $2 million base with lots of incentives. They've got to have a REASON to be PRODUCTIVE.
The boosters can buy him a $1 to $1.5 mil. home + $150,000 budget for the wife to purchase furniture to make the move easier. If I didn't add in pay for the move from Wichita, then add that too.
Marshall already makes about 1.7 base at Wichita State. He would more than likely tell us to shove it.

As for Barnes he is making almost 2.6 at Texas, I doubt he resigns there to take a paycut to come to Bama. I would rather hire Grant back than to get that fool Barnes.

Here you go for you Barnes lovers, in the NCAA tourney alone:

Barnes: 20-20 (18-14 at Texas) and his first year was 87-88 as head coach
Marshall: 8-11 and his first year was 98-99 as head coach

Marshall already has half as many wins with teams like Winthrop and Wichita State. Barnes was with George Mason, Providence, Clemson and Texas. I think I could win that much with those teams as Barnes has....

EDIT: Also Barnes has never finished better than 4th in the regular season in a basketball conference (ACC and Big East).

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Saban had won a national title and turned programs around at Michigan State and LSU. Both schools had become pretty bad programs and faced incredible odds in two of the toughest power conferences in America.
He was not a gamble at all, and Mal Moore knew it.
Wichita State doesn't play in a power conference, Marshall's coached at Winthrop and Wichita State.
He has no national titles, has never played for one, and has never made a final four.
He may turn out to be the next John Wooden, and, if we hire him, I hope to goodness he is!!!!!
But right now, in my opinion, he's not worth even being in a discussion for that kind of money, UNLESS it's a 2.5 million base with a ton of incentives. I have no problem with a coach making miliions and millions off of incentives. The more he makes, the more championships we win.
WSU was in the final four in 2013..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It's just so hard to fathom why Texas wanted him gone, Texas has gone to the NCAA tournament a lot, yes.. but that's because he took them there! He is personally responsible for half of their NCAA tournament appearances.
I see that you do not live here................

One of the things that I heard (and forgive my senior citizen moment for not recalling all the pertinent details), but a while back, he made a comment that turned into a bur under their saddles.

When grilled on not winning enough, and more importantly, the right kind of wins, he pointed to how many players he put in the NBA. Something along those lines.

Now, if that is the case, do we want someone who swims in the AAU cesspool, for one-and-done players, who are more interested in when they can go to the NBA, and how many times they make the Sports Center highlight reel.

Not me..............

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I apologize...I have not had time to read the last 6 or 7 pages. I have questions:

1. Where did the salary number come from? Is this a legimate source?
2. There was no time specified: is the amount for 1 year, three years, 5 years?
I think the board is spiralling on...something...but no substance.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That was established about five pages ago and I acknowledged the correction.
Why didn't you edit your post then to take the false information out? Not trying to call you out but if you take known misinformation out of your post then people wouldn't quote your post with the correct information. Not everyone will read all the way through the thread all at once..

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I would rather not have a retread like Barnes looking for something to do for ten years until he retires. I don't think he'd be horrible, but we can do better.

I agree if we are going to pay $5 million, we could get some big names who've won in a major conference to at least think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with you.

The Bama offer will be far higher than that...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.