New coach search...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He is right for a change. Home run hire. Brando is still an idiot.

Much better hire than Marshall IMHO. He'll get into homes Marshall would never have been able to get a shot at. We have made a statement about where we want to be in basketball. We are no longer content to be an also ran.
You have sold me on this hire after my less than favorable comments earlier. I too believe this is a better hire than Marshall and the fact that he reached out to Coach Battle will carry a tremendous amount of weight with Alabama fans. IMO if he can coach, the level should not be an issue. I too believe hiring the right assistants with recruiting experience will be critical to his success. Coach Battle deserves a big "atta boy" for bringing Coach Johnson to Tuscaloosa.

Edit: Brando is still a dipstick.

Last edited:

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
This is a grand slam! Much more exciting than Marshall. I lived in San antonio when this guy was playing for the Spurs. You are going to love him.

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Man, I'm psyched in a way even Marshall wouldn't have created in motivational potential. Just a couple thoughts:

1) I wonder if his son could transfer from A&M without penalty given the circumstances? Don't know much about his upside or if he'd even want to, but father/son coach to QB/PG relations sometimes work really well.

2) Could you imagine being coached by a guy who could most like call up people like The Admiral and Duncan for pit stop during practice? People are going to care about Bama Bball again.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
For those who are newly inclined to Johnson, during his playing days, I thought he moonlit as a Southern Preacher (he's not). But he is a motivational speaker to say the least. He's played at a high level at the highest level and has played with/coached some of the best to ever do it (David Robinson, Dennis Rodman, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash) and speaks the language.
He was a gritty player and a true floor general.
He'll win parents over in the houses of recruits. He's a man's man.
In terms of Xs & Os, he's learned at the feet of two of the best (and winningest NBA coaches) to ever do it in Don Nelson (offensive wizard) and Greg Poppovich (no nonsense, defense, rebounding, and teamwork advocate).

And by the way, he's coached Gerald Walllace and coached against Mo Williams..and had some epic battles with Robert Horry. He's garnered much respect and praise from them all. He'll definitely rally the alumni base.
I think we'll compete at a high level
Just watched his interview with Jalen Rose about his basketball career about a month ago on youtube and you are spot on!! I am impressed to say the least!! Think he is going to do just fine!! Here is the interview and every recruit needs to watch it in it's entirety!! ROLL TIDE ROLL!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtW3nqYlnC4&feature=youtu.be

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He is right for a change. Home run hire. Brando is still an idiot.

Much better hire than Marshall IMHO. He'll get into homes Marshall would never have been able to get a shot at. We have made a statement about where we want to be in basketball. We are no longer content to be an also ran.
I think we need to let time dictate on who is better between the two. Both are unknowns out of their comfort zone, and the sec is a trial by fire to anyone who would've taken the job. I like the hire, but I'm not going to say home run just yet. I would say it's more of a hard hit down the line that is currently stuck in the corner. So at the very least a solid hit

Last edited:

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
People are going to care about Bama Bball again.
There have been more tweets about Bama basketball in the last 24 hours than probably otherwise in the history of twitter. Of course, it can't end there. He will have to use this momentum to go grab a few big commitments.

Mo Williams is happy with the hire. I'm curious to see what other Bama veterans think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
We'll see how it plays out, but I believe that out of all the names mentioned as candidates, including Crean, Coach Johnson has the most upside. He's going to be a trip in front of a microphone, that's for sure.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
There have been more tweets about Bama basketball in the last 24 hours than probably otherwise in the history of twitter. Of course, it can't end there. He will have to use this momentum to go grab a few big commitments.

Mo Williams is happy with the hire. I'm curious to see what other Bama veterans think.
Some of the former football players I follow have mentioned it, all of which have been supportive.

The only one that scares me is Brandeaux giving us praise. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark when he gives us kudos. Is Avery a secret LSU Trojan Horse or something?

Perhaps the most interesting is that Cris Carter is still VERY supportive of Alabama despite Duron's failure to stick with the team... or is he still redshirting?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Some of the former football players I follow have mentioned it, all of which have been supportive.

The only one that scares me is Brandeaux giving us praise. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark when he gives us kudos. Is Avery a secret LSU Trojan Horse or something?

Perhaps the most interesting is that Cris Carter is still VERY supportive of Alabama despite Duron's failure to stick with the team... or is he still redshirting?
Who cares what that piece of fecal matter thinks? Timmy B is much like the broken clock or the blind squirrel. Know what I mean?

This is a good day for Bama PERIOD! RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Congrats CAJ and BB. I think CAJ is a better hire than CGM would have been. I think he'll get better players which is key at this level of basketball. In a couple of years we'll be glad Marshal said no. Sound familiar? :BigA: JMO

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Glad we have our coach, excited to see what he brings to the program. Looking forward to the press conference - it should be a lively one. Any news on when that might take place?

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Here's a link with a video of ESPN's Jeff Goodman discussing Avery Johnson becoming our B"Ball HC at Bama..I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been linked..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

@GoodmanESPN: Avery Johnson has made a verbal agreement to coach at Alabama, sources told ESPN. Contract details being finalized.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.