New coach search...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Well, if that's true, and if it's true that Texas is working to finalize a deal with Smart, then I'd say this was an utter disaster.
Negative. Retaining Grant last year was the disaster. Not having prepared all year for this search has been the catalyst for this boondoggle. Let's face it. We miss a stable AD. We miss Mal. This shouldn't have ever happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Negative. Retaining Grant last year was the disaster. Not having prepared all year for this search has been the catalyst for this boondoggle. Let's face it. We miss a stable AD. We miss Mal. This shouldn't have ever happened.

*LIKE*

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
SLOW DOWN!!!!! If we do not get Marshall, then we go with Plan B. This is a dream job for a very good coach. While Grant was a disaster, with all that we have going for us (in all sports) we will be able to secure a great coach. Relax and let the process unfold.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

This! Plus I don't think anyone actually thought GM would turn us down. Frankly, I can't understand why he would/could turn us down. Much more money and total control of the program? An SEC program no less.

I would be fine with Shaka Smart, but with Texas now putting the full court press on him, that seems unlikely too. Add in UT scooping up Barnes, and it seems like all the viable candidates are gone. We should have gone after Bruce Pearl last year.

People keep saying if we don't get Marshall, we will go to plan B. But at this point, it seems plan B and C are unavailable. At this point, we almost have to get Marshall or this could get really ugly.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
I don't know what your definition of a great coach is, but mine is Smart, Ben Howland, and Gregg Marshall. Howland is gone, looks like Shaka is too, and if (looking more like when by the mintue) GM turns us down, the pickens becomes much more slim to find a top tier coach.

SLOW DOWN!!!!! If we do not get Marshall, then we go with Plan B. This is a dream job for a very good coach. While Grant was a disaster, with all that we have going for us (in all sports) we will be able to secure a great coach. Relax and let the process unfold.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Well, if that's true, and if it's true that Texas is working to finalize a deal with Smart, then I'd say this was an utter disaster.
After all was said and done, I considered Marshall 1A and Shaka Smart 1B. We gave Marshall too long to flirt with Texas and then let this drag on into this week. This should have been done by last Friday if he was truly interested. I understand being a family man, but sometimes you walk in and say lets visit Tuscaloosa to see if we are truly interested in living there. If he didn't like it he could always then say he didn't want to move his family. By all accounts he never got on a plane ans did that. He slow played us all along hoping UT would make him an offer. Now it looks as if we missed out on our 1B choice as well. It appears Battle was there the week before he they were eliminated from the tournament as well. I am not sure he ever negotiated in good faith.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
You know the saying, "go big or go home". IMO we should've started at the top, and then Marshall or Smart could've been plan b. I hope BB learned from MM what to do if you get rejected.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Here is the biggest issue I see with missing out on CGM. The bama fan base would have been 99% on board with CGM and energized about Basketball. Unless some NBA coach or another name I have not heard shocks (no pun intended) us all, it will be a big let down and once again luke warm excitement for whomever is hired. And we will move on with basketball being a month filler till football season starts up.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You know the saying, "go big or go home". IMO we should've started at the top, and then Marshall or Smart could've been plan b. I hope BB learned from MM what to do if you get rejected.
Uhh... Who would have been at "the top" if Marshall and Shaka were backup plans?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
After all was said and done, I considered Marshall 1A and Shaka Smart 1B. We gave Marshall too long to flirt with Texas and then let this drag on into this week. This should have been done by last Friday if he was truly interested. I understand being a family man, but sometimes you walk in and say lets visit Tuscaloosa to see if we are truly interested in living there. If he didn't like it he could always then say he didn't want to move his family. By all accounts he never got on a plane ans did that. He slow played us all along hoping UT would make him an offer. Now it looks as if we missed out on our 1B choice as well. It appears Battle was there the week before he they were eliminated from the tournament as well. I am not sure he ever negotiated in good faith.
My thoughts as well. Frankly I didn't like that he got on the plane without him the other day. I've seen nothing to indicate that Marshall has ever truly been interested in Alabama at all.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Bama Baseball 1

Scout Team
Aug 13, 2007
Duncanville, AL
I am really beginning to wonder if Marshall really had no desire to leave, but saw all the attention as a way to get a new contract and a raise? If that was his plan, then maybe we are better off. My level of respect for Marshall has dropped as this has played out.
If he really is close to getting an extension, why not say so out of respect for everyone involved.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Uhh... Who would have been at "the top" if Marshall and Shaka were backup plans?
Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc. call em up. Offer 30 mil for 5 years. See what happens. You got no in your pocket. Leave no stone unturned.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Quit screwing around Bill Battle and call Mike Anderson. He might be willing to come home for 3.5 - 4 million a year and he would be worth it. Anyone seen an Arky home game lately? Packed to the rafters and Anderson has everyone in a frenzy!
I agree, it would be nuts to see 40 minutes of hell in Coleman. Sadly I doubt he leaves Arkansas and I think he might have just signed an extension as well. But I do know if he showed ANY interest we would be stupid to not go after him. They gave UNC fits all night to the point they had to run a 3 PG lineup just to get the ball past half court and beat them with speed. Every time UNC had a decent lead that defense had Arkansas right back in it. But I think it's just a pipe dream.

Marshall doesn't seem like the type of guy to just jump on the first offer guys, so I'm still not worried at this point. Give the man some time.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I am really beginning to wonder if Marshall really had no desire to leave, but saw all the attention as a way to get a new contract and a raise? If that was his plan, then maybe we are better off. My level of respect for Marshall has dropped as this has played out.
If he really is close to getting an extension, why not say so out of respect for everyone involved.
Nothing wrong with CGM using his position to leverage a better offer. It happens all the time. Need I remind you of a certain football coach flirting with UT last year? I have no problem with what he did, assuming that's even what he did. I do have a problem with how we handled the coaching vacancy. It appears, at least right now, that we put all our eggs in one basket.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
My thoughts as well. Frankly I didn't like that he got on the plane without him the other day. I've seen nothing to indicate that Marshall has ever truly been interested in Alabama at all.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Your wrong. He was ready to sign. But it was not up to just him. Trust me on this one.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.