New coach search...

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Gregg Marshall and Brad Stevens are at the top of my list. If either of these guys are available then you do whatever it takes to make them the new coach.

Next would be Ben Howland.

Beyond that I would start looking at the best mid-major coaches, Richard Pitino, etc.
Not Howland.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Someone in the know help me out. From the articles I've seen our recruiting class is not that strong, so how bad of a loss would this be?

I have aver seen our class rated very low. AU is way ahead of us. Maybe a new guy can do much better?
AU will be ahead of us in recruiting for a while with Pearl as head coach.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This thread is funny.
Who do we think we are as a basketball school?
Izzo? Izzo?
We'll hire the current coach at Murray State.
IF, he's willing to take the job, because it's not a good one.
sip

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If not why can't we go after someone that is really proven. We have already went the rising midmajor route, so why don't we go big this time?
I just hope I don't need Google when the new coach is announced that is all I am asking.
First, I've been gone all day and was pleasantly surprised to find this news! Best of luck to Coach Anthony Grant. Classy guy, but a change was needed.

I don't know the guy we need, but I agree that we don't need to sell ourselves short. We paid Grant 2 million a season....that's a lot of jack and it would turn a lot of heads.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Not Howland.
What's wrong with howland? I don't know why so many people are against hiring him....he's the most proven coach out of any available coach....yeah he mishandled one player at UCLA that ultimately led to his firing but come on, y'all act like he's Bruce pearl or something

BamaHoHo

All-American
Aug 7, 2007
Coaling, Alabama, United States
I agree. You don't fire a guy with a 4 million dollar buyout with some idea who you are going after and who is interested.
At the moment my money is on Steve Prohm

A native of Vienna, Virginia, Prohm's family later moved to Dalton, Georgia, where Prohm attended high school at Northwest Whitfield High School in Tunnel Hill, Georgia, and lettered in basketball for three years.[SUP][1][/SUP]
He started college at Oglethorpe University in Atlanta where he played NCAA Division III basketball. Prohm only made it half way through the his first season as a player when he left the team to follow his passion for coaching. He transferred to the University of Alabama where he worked as a student assistant coach and student manager for the Crimson Tide men's basketball team for five years. He graduated from Alabama in 1997 with a degree in education.[SUP][2][/SUP]

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
What's wrong with howland? I don't know why so many people are against hiring him....he's the most proven coach out of any available coach....yeah he mishandled one player at UCLA that ultimately led to his firing but come on, y'all act like he's Bruce pearl or something
You want a coach who couldn't keep a basketball school in the top 20? And continually ran off players during his last 5 years there? He couldn't sustain success at UCLA.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
PLEASE, for the love of all that is Crimson: tell me Battle didn't make this decision because of some single game/Bockrath type, Hoi Polloi campaign. This man is supposed to be a CEO, not a weather-vane. I agree that Grant was a failure; that's obvious to the casual observer. We need someone manning the helm with a PLAN!

Why is there no President? Why do we have a 75 year old caretaker AD? Who would walk into a situation that is so possibly fraught with uncertainty? Is it REALLY because the moneyed class MUST have a male President with a wife who will attend their charity functions and teas? Are we really in this much trouble?

Alabama basketball should be a GREAT job. What in the world is going on??

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We'll hire the current coach at Murray State.
IF, he's willing to take the job, because it's not a good one.
sip
I'm not sure what the criteria is for saying the Alabama job is not a good one. They are paying their coach a top 25 salary, they have the second richest athletic department, they are somewhere between second and third all time in the SEC (only reason they are not a clear second is mediocre coaching the past few years). The Wimp era proved that by recruiting the surrounding area they could have plenty of talent (c'mon, 5 first round picks on one team?). There is absolutely nothing bad about the program, but the fact that they've assembled a string of guys who have never actually had post season success as head coaches.

So, that's why I'm not too big a fan of Prohm and I find it a bit ironic that you disparage the Alabama basketball program, then suggest a guy with ties to it. If it is actually a bad program, rule #1 should be look outside of it, right?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.