New coach search...

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
The local talking heads all agree that utk will not make an offer like BAMA is making for Marshall.

Utk has money issues, they can't afford Marshall. Most think they'll at least kick the tires and see if Rick Byrd can be swayed to leave Belmont (doubtful), and from there, it's anyone's guess which mid-to-lower-level guy they'll court

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't he turn them down once before??

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I see lots of description of a perceived "problem" on how he addressed the questions he was expectedly bombarded with. But no solutions.

Do tell, how would you have handled this, time after time? I mean, the guy can't ignore his media responsibilities, during Sweet 16/Elite 8 week!

You didn't like his "honesty". So, you prefer a lie? Or a "no comment", which really is a comment to the media?

Tell, me, what is a "win" here for him, besides what he might tell his players behind closed doors?

Could it be that they lost last night, simply because the Irish were the better team last night?
Agree 100%. Some folks will nitpick and complain about anything. I've stopped responding because it isn't worth my time arguing with them.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
In nod to harmonic convergences, what are the odds of Rick Barnes exchanging one shade of UT orange for another? Might have to ween himself from his Bil Oil salary, but he would be an obvious fit.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
Don't read too much into Texas telling coach to fire assistants, we did that with Shula. Then when Saban came we let him run the show.

Saw someone make a good point about why Marshall shouldn't like the Texas job if it does open. Battle reportedly is offering a similar setup to Saban with no AD interference while Patterson reportedly told Barnes to make changes within the staff. Which one sounds more appealing?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The local talking heads all agree that utk will not make an offer like BAMA is making for Marshall.

Utk has money issues, they can't afford Marshall. Most think they'll at least kick the tires and see if Rick Byrd can be swayed to leave Belmont (doubtful), and from there, it's anyone's guess which mid-to-lower-level guy they'll court

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They could do a hell of lot worse than Rick Byrd and have with their last three hires. Rick Byrd would be a very good hire IMO, but I don't see him leaving Belmont.

Notre Dame would have beaten any team in the Sweet 16 last night with the exception of Kentucky. Marshall is a very good coach and whether or not we get him is still TBD. If Barnes is canned in Austin it could come down to a bidding war between Alabama and Texas.

Caliperi is sitting on a gold mine in Lexington and IMO would be making a huge mistake returning to the NBA where his shelf life would be 2-3 years max.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Rick Byrd is a great man and a great coach. No way he goes to UT. Really, though, he probably would have gone earlier in his career but now that he's in his 60s I don't think he wants to take on a really stressful job right now when he's really got Belmont in very good shape.

And I like the idea of Rick Barnes at Tennessee. He's had more success than probably anyone who might consider that job and by all appearances, he's not going to get them in trouble with the NCAA.

And we should know something about Marshall by the end of the day.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
No Barnes please.

They could do a hell of lot worse than Rick Byrd and have with their last three hires. Rick Byrd would be a very good hire IMO, but I don't see him leaving Belmont.

Notre Dame would have beaten any team in the Sweet 16 last night with the exception of Kentucky. Marshall is a very good coach and whether or not we get him is still TBD. If Barnes is canned in Austin it could come down to a bidding war between Alabama and Texas.

Caliperi is sitting on a gold mine in Lexington and IMO would be making a huge mistake returning to the NBA where his shelf life would be 2-3 years max.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Might be reading too much into it, but Wichita State assistant Steve Forbes will become the new coach at East Tennessee State.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I think Marshall has handled the media as well as he could. I had issues with the comments because they weren't the norm. Normally, a coach denies or deflects and then ends up leaving anyway.

Let me ask you which is better for the players. The coach is honest, like Marshall has been, and maybe the players are a little let down and they lose a game they were going to lose anyway (Notre Dame is probably the second best team in the country at the moment). Or, the coach lies, denies, deflects, and then leaves after the players bought in to his staying.

If I were a player, I know which one I'd prefer.
What is soooooo hypocritical and hilarious at the same time is that for almost all the folks bashing GM for saying anything while his team was still playing would be griping about hearing "coach speak". While they rip Saban and Belichick all the timethe media love them because they know they can usually bank on honesty rather than coach speak blather. I prefer folks be honest if they're asked questions, but that's just me. Now if I were coaching and was in a Sweet 16 I'd try to set the parameters by saying what my focus was because it would be all about the season. I'd have an agent and he'd hopefully be doing HIS job on my behalf.

BTW- Whichita St. wasn't loaded with talent this year. To squeeze a Sweet16 out of that bunch was pretty darn good IMO. Talent-wise Bama wasn't far behind and we saw their end result with Grant. The coach MATTERS!

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
You can never say, "Brando is an idiot," too much. If you've said it before on the record, just keep saying it.
Brando is an idiot!!....He has always come across as petty and jealous/hateful of Alabama. He knows he can get attention by putting down Bama..(much like Finebaum).

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
What is soooooo hypocritical and hilarious at the same time is that for almost all the folks bashing GM for saying anything while his team was still playing would be griping about hearing "coach speak". While they rip Saban and Belichick all the timethe media love them because they know they can usually bank on honesty rather than coach speak blather. I prefer folks be honest if they're asked questions, but that's just me. Now if I were coaching and was in a Sweet 16 I'd try to set the parameters by saying what my focus was because it would be all about the season. I'd have an agent and he'd hopefully be doing HIS job on my behalf.

BTW- Whichita St. wasn't loaded with talent this year. To squeeze a Sweet16 out of that bunch was pretty darn good IMO. Talent-wise Bama wasn't far behind and we saw their end result with Grant. The coach MATTERS!
So much to agree with above.

As much as I agree that Marsall would be a great hire, still believe he isn't the only one who could be very successful at Alabama.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
BOL is reporting today:

1. In good shape to get Marshall.

2. Expect some sort of announcement Sunday or Monday should he accept the job.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
That is not encouraging, and no news is bad news. IF we are going to get him it is going to happen quick. (or at least news of it will be reported quickly)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.