Link: Reaction from Ingram on Grant Firing

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Keeping pettway would be important for holding on to what recruits we have left.....we don't want a situation like Tennessee had this past year where like all 5 recruits withdrew their loi.....they had to scramble to find recruits late in the recruiting period

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Donta' Hall doesn't seem thrilled about Grant's firing. Link

A shocked and upset Donta' Hall isn't much for words when it comes to the firing of former head basketball coach Anthony Grant.

Hall, a 6-foot-10 forward from Luverne named No. 1 on the AL.com A-List, signed with Alabama last November. He heard the news on Sunday from his coach, Richard Dorsey.

"The reaction is that he was shocked," Dorsey said. "He was upset and still is. He doesn't really even want to talk about it. I've tried to get him to understand that some things just happen."

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Players today aren't worth keeping a coach who just couldn't get the program's wheels out of the mud in 6 years. Hopefully they'll like the next hire and rejoin the Tide.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ya 'know -- we are going to have a bad year or two -- but hopefully can flip the program and get on a path to being in the NCAA every year. With that said - we may have to lose some kids over it. I hate it, but they'll survive.....and maybe if we get the right coach, most will stay -- if they don't - they don't. There are enough quality kids that end up at Mid Majors we can get that can contribute until the new staff gets settled....

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
If we get a coach early enough that is a "home run" hire, then we can avoid a let down by getting some JUCO players that are seasoned.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Decomits after a coach leaves are an expected part of college sports. You lose some because of recruiting promises made to them or that they ''really liked'' the old coach, or whatever. But you win others when the school hires a new coach that will improve the team, and hopefully their own prospects for the future. You take it all in stride and move on. In short, it's nothing that should cause anyone to lose even a few minute's sleep.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Later, bro. It was fun while it lasted.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra, if the players don't want to come here, we can't stop them.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Next year will be likely be pretty rough, but it was going to be anyway. At least I have some hope now.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
I have a question.

Are our current commits (Ingram, Austin, Hall) good enough that the next head coaching hire would need/have to retain Pettway? Assuming they are must-sign guys? Each guy mentions their relationship with Pettway in the al.com articles detailing their reactions to Grant's firing.

I want to retain Pett anyway, and...is it too late in recruiting to pick up anyone better that we have?

I don't imagine so, and these are supposed to be good players, and they're in-state.

Can anyone shed some light?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I have a question.

Are our current commits (Ingram, Austin, Hall) good enough that the next head coaching hire would need/have to retain Pettway? Assuming they are must-sign guys? Each guy mentions their relationship with Pettway in the al.com articles detailing their reactions to Grant's firing.

I want to retain Pett anyway, and...is it too late in recruiting to pick up anyone better that we have?

I don't imagine so, and these are supposed to be good players, and they're in-state.

Does appear the next coach would be wise to keep Pettway for recruiting purposes. He clearly has good relationship with the current recruits, and I suspect would have good relationships with the 2016 recruits. Keeping him would make the transition much easier.

I do not want the coaching search to be rushed solely on one recruit, but I would like to keep Ingram. He told WSFA yesterday he will sign with a school on April 13. Hopefully, Pettway can continue to recruit him for Bama, or the new coach gets to town in time to recruit him.

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
this current class... no

but current players yes.. and next year there is a big prize, langford out of madison academy... and I am sure he knows Pettway. Also, from a person perspective we all love the kid with the ruby slippers... and he should stay, if at all possible.

I have a question.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.