Discussing Race Relations In The Starbucks

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
i think the real question is whether or not a meaningful cup of coffee can be gotten at starbucks.
This. Overroasted coffee mixed too strong & then burned does not actually equal a good cup of coffee. Neither does adding a bunch of syllables to one's coffee order.

Back to the larger point, I've had several thoughtful discussions about race relations in a good (= non-Sbux) coffee shop, but never one guided by a 19-yr-old college student preparing/serving my coffee.

:pDT_iq: :pDT_old:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Two patrons sitting in Starbucks enjoying a cup of their crappy coffee? Zero problem.

A Starbucks employee engaging in a discussion about race relations with ANYONE while on shift? Never appropriate.
Yeah, they need keep quiet and reflect on the mistakes of their own life. Like getting that creative writing degree at a liberal arts college and owing $96k in student loans only to be able to get a job as a barista. (Heard this exact situation on Dave Ramsey from a caller last week) Just take my order and move on to the next person.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Oh well.....that didn't last long.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/starbucks...aign-stores-effort-not-162634531--sector.html

Starbucks Corp head Howard Schultz told employees on Sunday they will no longer be encouraged to write "Race Together" on drinks cups, but the company's effort to promote discussion of racial issues “is far from over”.

“I know this hasn’t been easy for any of you – let me assure you that we didn’t expect universal praise,” Chief Executive Schultz wrote in a letter to staff and released by the company on Sunday. “We leaned in because we believed that starting this dialogue is what matters most.”

Schultz said Starbucks plans more “Race Together” activities, including efforts to expand into urban neighbourhoods, hire 10,000 “opportunity youth” over the next three years, and produce advertising on the campaign with Gannett Co.’s USA Today.

I like the hiring "opportunity youth" movement. But expecting patrons to pay six bucks for a Vinti Caramel Ribbon Crunch Frappuccino in urban neighborhoods - is he nuts?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In a related story, the CEO of Chick-fil-A said it was okay for his minimum wage employees to engage people who look like they might be gay on same-sex marriage.

(Actually, when that whole fracas happened, they were specifically told they were employees of the place and were not to comment upon it one way or the other. I know this because a friend of mine managed one).

I've never had a cup of coffee at Starbucks, and I never will. I'm amused by any imbecile who will complain a gallon of gas is $3 but then spend nearly $5 for 8-12 oz of coffee.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.