Mandatory Voting?!?.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Mandatory voting! I'm not sure I like this idea. In fact, I know I don't! Is mandatory voting for only Federal positions? Will state and local elections have mandatory voting? Will school board elections be mandatory? Will schools have mandatory voting for Student Council positions?

There are some people who are just toooooooooooo dang dumb to participate. Some people don't have a clue what's going on in this country or the world. People incarcerated should NOT vote! Idiots, imbeciles, and morons should not vote! Idiots, imbeciles, and morons also should NOT serve in positions of authority.

Will this take away our freedom to vote or BOT to vote?

Will it be an Executive or Emperor Order that determines this?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
It's an interesting notion, though it's certainly unconstitutional--how could casting/not casting a vote not be considered a form of expression?

I'm thinking that Obama is more interested in drawing attention to the problem of low voter turnout.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
It's an interesting notion, though it's certainly unconstitutional--how could casting/not casting a vote not be considered a form of expression?

I'm thinking that Obama is more interested in drawing attention to the problem of low voter turnout.
So is (or so I thought) being forced to purchase health insurance, and being penalized by the government for not doing so.
But I digress...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
What is this tax going to fund?

I tried to correct my mistake above, but this site isn't as user friendly as in the past. It was NOT supposed to be "BOT", but "NOT"! It is hard to edit a post with the trouble this site is having.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

"Stray Voltage"

http://www.nationaljournal.com/all-powers/the-pen-phone-and-stray-voltage-20140416

This is the White House theory of "Stray Voltage." It is the brainchild of former White House Senior Adviser David Plouffe, whose methods loom large long after his departure. The theory goes like this: Controversy sparks attention, attention provokes conversation, and conversation embeds previously unknown or marginalized ideas in the public consciousness. This happens, Plouffe theorizes, even when—and sometimes especially when—the White House appears defensive, besieged, or off-guard.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

As you're a smart guy, I am ASSUMING you mean "low voter turnout in comparison to participation in other democratically elected nations?"

Because the turnout in the last 3 Presidential elections is about as high (or higher) than it has been since 1968. And one could easily argue that the reason for that is the addition of 18-21 year olds to the voter rolls in 1971. In fact, it could be argued that the expansion of civil rights making more people eligible to vote (black and then the youth) played a bigger role in "low turnout" than anything else.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
to quote one Neal Peart

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I knew you were being sarcastic, but the fact that this even occurred to you demonstrates that you are capable of abstract thought and able to link causes and effects, even if only subconsciously.
The first legislative assemblies (Parliaments of Westminster and Edinburgh, the Cortes of Spain, the parlements of Paris, etc.) in early modern Europe were composed of representatives of the tax-payers. No taxes, no voting.
The idea of allowing non-tax-payers to have a say in how tax revenues would be spent would have been ludicrous to these men and would have resulted in the idea of a representative republic being still-born.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I knew you were being sarcastic, but the fact that this even occurred to you demonstrates that you are capable of abstract thought and able to link causes and effects, even if only subconsciously.
The first legislative assemblies (Parliaments of Westminster and Edinburgh, the Cortes of Spain, the parlements of Paris, etc.) in early modern Europe were composed of representatives of the tax-payers. No taxes, no voting.
The idea of allowing non-tax-payers to have a say in how tax revenues would be spent would have been ludicrous to these men and would have resulted in the idea of a representative republic being still-born.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
And actually allowing them to both eat at the public trough and have a say as to how much more gets dumped back in is killing this country long before its time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.