LINK: Are You Smarter Than An NFL Draft Pick? Take the Wonderlic test to find out

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
College graduate? Please. Most of these guys aren't college graduates. Most major college football players are closer to being space aliens than college graduates. Let's be realistic.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There was a web site a few years ago that posted a timed version of the test - 25 questions instead of 15, with 6 minutes to complete the 25 questions. All of the questions were similar to these, so it is probably pretty close.

Sad that some players score very poorly on these tests after 4+ years of college. Tells me a lot about their high schools and colleges. My high school teachers would have failed my many times over if my grasp of the basics was so poor that I might fail a test like this - I would never have made it to college.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I've never taken the Wonderlic, but something about it has to be more difficult than this kind of "sample." A 40 is the 99th percentile of all test takers (not just NFL players). Chad Pennington was a Rhodes Scholar finalist and scored a 25. Myron Rolle, a Rhodes Scholar, scored a 33. These samples make it out like you are an idiot if you don't get a 50.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never taken the Wonderlic, but something about it has to be more difficult than this kind of "sample." A 40 is the 99th percentile of all test takers (not just NFL players). Chad Pennington was a Rhodes Scholar finalist and scored a 25. Myron Rolle, a Rhodes Scholar, scored a 33. These samples make it out like you are an idiot if you don't get a 50.
Yah, the sample I test I took a few years ago was 25 questions and frankly, it was a push to finish in the six minutes allotted. I recall it being a good bit more difficult than this one.

IOW, I don't think this is accurate - unless someone cherry picked the few simple questions from a few tests.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Yah, the sample I test I took a few years ago was 25 questions and frankly, it was a push to finish in the six minutes allotted. I recall it being a good bit more difficult than this one.

IOW, I don't think this is accurate - unless someone cherry picked the few simple questions from a few tests.
My experience also. It was no cakewalk with the clock ticking. But I did pass and was in my sixties and in bad health.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Test taking is a skill in and of itself - especially timed tests like this. I suspect that the NFL does this as a short, timed test for their own reasons, and it probably has little to do with trying to guage intelligence.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
SIAP

http://www.washingtontimes.com/quiz/...fl-draft-pick/

I just aced it. Only 15 questions? I am not sure this is really is the real thing.
I can see a reasonably intelligent person missing a few of these, but a college graduate doing poorly on it baffles my mind.
It's not the real thing, the the questions are more or less what you get. The Wonderlic as administered in the NFL gives you 12 minutes to answer 50 questions.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It's not the real thing, the the questions are more or less what you get. The Wonderlic as administered in the NFL gives you 12 minutes to answer 50 questions.
Yea, I had an inkling it was too easy. With a time limit and the stress of doing it to impress, questions you would normally have no problem figuring out become problems.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
All the versions of this I've seen have a common thread: the questions themselves aren't that difficult, but it requires some attention to not misread the question.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I've taken the Wonderlic before. A few of the questions were tricky, but these samples are the sort of thing I remember. You have to read very carefully to make sure you are answering the question that was asked. As others have stated, the time is the big thing. Takes some self discipline to read carefully when you need to average about 4 questions a minute. If you get behind, I could see where it would get really intense. One of the techniques is knowing when to "sacrifice" a question -- i.e. yes, I may be able to answer this math problem, but it'll take me about a minute to do the calculation, better to just take my best guess and work on other questions I can do faster or perhaps return to it.

That said, it is a little scary that high school graduates with at least several semesters of college work, if not an actual degree, are scoring in the single digits or low teens out of 50 questions. My bet would be that as a group, offensive linemen score higher than anyone.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.