SEC considers Notre Dame as Power Five team.

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
i take it as more of a nod to the military academy than anything else. gives them exposure they would not otherwise get against great competition that would draw eyes. more exposure may lead to increased enlistments and attendance. definitely a win for them. obviously, we know what the benefit to the SEC school would be in this. i have no problem with this and would not mind it being expanded to the other academies.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
i take it as more of a nod to the military academy than anything else. gives them exposure they would not otherwise get against great competition that would draw eyes. more exposure may lead to increased enlistments and attendance. definitely a win for them. obviously, we know what the benefit to the SEC school would be in this. i have no problem with this and would not mind it being expanded to the other academies.
Well, we certainly have different perspectives on this issue.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The worst team in the SEC would destroy Army most years. Not sure how scheduling Army is going to help SEC OOC schedules.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The minimum Power 5 Conference rule is eight games and some going to Nine (thus the bumping up the little guys in way to meet the standard without beefing up the schedule). Using that standard an independent should meet the same criteria. Notre Dame meets this standard (nine games). Army plays five Power 5 team and BYU plays four.

I have no problem with any team being considered Power 5 if they play those teams. I would imagine Army will have a Nine game SEC schedule as soon as possible and rake in all that $$$. BYU and Army still have a ways to go, schedule wise.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
In this new era of college football playoffs there is no place for 3 Independent teams out off 128 or 129 Division 1 teams. You get in a conference or you are disqualified from participating in the college football playoffs.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
In this new era of college football playoffs there is no place for 3 Independent teams out off 128 or 129 Division 1 teams. You get in a conference or you are disqualified from participating in the college football playoffs.
I get that and sometimes feel that way too, especially about Notre Elite Dame. But then I think that ND and BYU can beat Wake, Vandy, Kansas, Purdue and Colorado ten out of ten and it makes me wonder. BYU, unlike ND, wants to be Power 5 but has no one who wants them. What do they do?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I get that and sometimes feel that way too, especially about Notre Elite Dame. But then I think that ND and BYU can beat Wake, Vandy, Kansas, Purdue and Colorado ten out of ten and it makes me wonder. BYU, unlike ND, wants to be Power 5 but has no one who wants them. What do they do?
There is a conference with only 10 teams, can't remember which one, :rolleye2: who could take both ND and BYU. Army joins the same conference that Navy is joining.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
BYU made the decision to go independent. It's not like they were kicked out of a conference and couldn't find a new one to join.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
BYU made the decision to go independent. It's not like they were kicked out of a conference and couldn't find a new one to join.
True. They wanted to move up to Power 5, hoping to join the Big 12 but the B12 does not want a playoff game so they are left out.

I personally don't care where BYU and Army wind up. But to pretend Army is a Power 5 team is just silly. They might have a winning record in the Sun Belt, but that would be iffy.

Army has lost to Ball State THREE years in a row 2011, 2012,& 2013.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
True. They wanted to move up to Power 5, hoping to join the Big 12 but the B12 does not want a playoff game so they are left out.

I personally don't care where BYU and Army wind up. But to pretend Army is a Power 5 team is just silly. They might have a winning record in the Sun Belt, but that would be iffy.
Don't solely focus on Army in this decision. Have to consider what the SEC was facing. What are they supposed to do? "Uhh... Yeah, only Notre Dame and BYU are considered Power 5 teams. Sorry, Army." They can't do that because the outrage would be loud. Folks would know there's a difference between those two teams and Army but would still make a big fuss out of it. Therefore, the SEC has to say all 3 independent programs are Power 5 teams.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Don't solely focus on Army in this decision. Have to consider what the SEC was facing. What are they supposed to do? "Uhh... Yeah, only Notre Dame and BYU are considered Power 5 teams. Sorry, Army." They can't do that because the outrage would be loud. Folks would know there's a difference between those two teams and Army but would still make a big fuss out of it. Therefore, the SEC has to say all 3 independent programs are Power 5 teams.
The ACC did not recognize Army and no outcry there. But, you are right about the SEC facing a problem. With Pac 12, Big 10, Big12 all playing at least nine conference games, that did not leave them wanting to add another tough game with the SEC. So, we designate our own "ninth" conference game with BYU and Army. I don't really think ND has room for an SEC team since they play five ACC games and their traditional rivals too.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I actually do wish we would schedule the service academies. Especially Air Force and Navy as they have quality teams. Army? Not good opponent but I could at least respect the decision. I would much rather play these teams instead of the I-AA teams we have scheduled the past few years.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
If these programs want to be Independents then let them schedule 2 games each year from 4 of the power 5 conferences and 1 from the other power 5 conference on a home and home rotating basis. They could keep either USC and Stanford as traditional rivals or keep one and rotate the other team. For example

Wake Forest
Boston College
Penn State
Iowa
Stanford
USC
Kansas
Texas Tech
Georgia

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Interesting that Army will qualify but Navy, which usually beats Army, doesn't because its part of the American Athletic Conference.
Now we get to the silliness of it all. As already been said, BYU could beat a lot of Power 5 bottom feeders and so could Navy. But Army, who struggles to beat anyone, gets the nod. It might not even matter because Army may not want to play any more games it can't possible win and may be content with six MAC and Sun Belt games each year. The SEC can't make Army schedule them :)

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I saw this lady wearing a ND undefeated season sweatshirt up here today. She looked at by Alabama jacket was we walked by each other. I smiled as she tucked her head down. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Just wondering if BYU could do a Notre Dame and schedule five games with SEC, then claim SEC status. I realize ND was invited to do that and BYU is not but they would be in play for some bigger SEC bowls that way. Just for fun they could declare they are an SEC equivalent and see what happens. :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.