SEC considers Notre Dame as Power Five team.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not to be argumentative, but the ACC pandering to ND assures them they get to remain independent, not have to go through a conference championship game and get a decent bowl game every year. Who wouldn't love a steady diet of Wake, Duke, UVA, Pitt and UNC.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Not to be argumentative, but the ACC pandering to ND assures them they get to remain independent, not have to go through a conference championship game and get a decent bowl game every year. Who wouldn't love a steady diet of Wake, Duke, UVA, Pitt and UNC.
You are spot on. When ND has a down year they are still in the running for a good ACC bowl and ACC gets the big name Notre Dame to bolster their image. You scratch my back, I will scratch yours. The deal with BYU is a mutual benefit too. BYU gets to play big name schools in large stadiums and SEC gets a good SOS team for OOC.

I don't see ND scheduling SEC since they have to play five ACC games plus their traditional games. But BYU will help us avoid playing nine conference games.

Army ~ well, that is just another Sun Belt team we have promoted up the ladder. I do not have any problem with the equivalent with Notre Dame and BYU. But no way is Army or UMass equivalent. That is my gripe. Army is the team everyone wants for homecoming.

Army is equivalent to Purdue, Colorado, Wake Forrest, Kansas and Vandy. But ..... if equivalency is going to be based on the bottom feeders, then EVERYONE is equivalent to Power 5.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Speaking of Navy, when all the expansion mess was going on, I would have had no problem with adding them to the SEC. In fact I would have loved it.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
This just makes the SEC look bad. On other message boards, people are making fun of us over this, saying we are doing this to dodge playing one of the big boys.

Never mind we (and everyone else) plays a major conference team every year, usually a team that is among the top in its league. The perception is there and it is a negative one.

There are plenty of crap P5 teams Vandy can play to meet the new rule about playing a P5 every year.

I respect the service academies but Army football is horrible. I would not object to playing them but would be embarrassed if we tried to claim they were our P5 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I would like Bama to play Army in a home and home series.....with one game at Bryant-Denny and the other in New York City. (Probably still play another major non-conference game those same years)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.