News Article: CECIL HURT: Will Bill Battle hit a home run with basketball hire?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Cecil Hurt Tuscaloosa News:

CECIL HURT: Will Bill Battle hit a home run with basketball hire?

Alabama's basketball future will largely be shaped in the coming days, as athletic director Bill Battle hires a coach to replace Anthony Grant. He's making the hire without employing a search firm, only the advice of a few people he trusts. His cards are currently being held close to the vest, and a frenzy of speculation has been just that: speculation.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Good read thanks. Battle knows the expectations for the basketball program and I trust he will make the best hire possible. It may not be the one the folks on here want, but after all basketball is and will always be second to football which defines the type coach we get.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
You'd think CM and Wimp and maybe few former players are on speed dial.

Let's hope Battle has his "vision" sermon ready and owns the room or phone call!
Wasn't Coach Grant hired because of the advice and consent and glowing recommendation of CM?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Wasn't Coach Grant hired because of the advice and consent and glowing recommendation of CM?
Probably, but nobody knew he was going to be a bust. He was one of the most sought after coaches at the time. At the time, it was quite a coup!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm convinced that Grant didn't want to be at Alabama and he was willing sacrifice the program in order to leave or be fired. Speaks really well on TV, but couldn't promote the program.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Newton got the job when Bryant asked Adolph Rupp for advice. Maybe Battle should ask Roy Williams or Coach K for a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
If a home run hire is someone who gets us to the Louisville/ Mich State/Duke level of regular Sweet 16s and more than occasional Final 4s, is it bad to think a "triple" hire - more than occasional Sweet16s and now-and-then runs to the Final Four [W VA/Arky/??] is OK?

Is being OK with relevance a not-good thing?

Would rather be a program that plays on the second week, of course. However . . .

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
But we got the "hottest" coach in the country at that time. So you're saying we should aim lower?
Not at all. I meant I hope the people Coach Battle trusts to help him make this decision are as qualified as they need to be, so he will get a guy who can absolutely get the job done.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I hate to say it, but as a life-long Alabama native, born and raised: if you're not from here, living in Alabama might be quite a culture shock, to put it mildly. This entire post is speculative, so bear with me; I'm trying my best to figure out a sane explanation for the last six year's debacle. Maybe there's no way to make sense from nonsense.

Here goes: Anthony Grant may have taken the job, despite misgivings, because he felt he had to do it. A traditionally racist southern sports power was offering a legitimate top job with a good AD (Mal Moore ) and real support. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable here. Maybe his wife hated it here. Who knows??

I'm sorry, but whatever his motivations, he should have, at least in retrospect, politely declined. Unless this leopard changes from spots to plaid, in my opinion, he has no business near a top Major College job. CAG seems completely unqualified to handle the media requirements of any head coaching job above non-scholarship division III. He's a co-ordinator who needs to remain a co-ordinator. Nothing wrong with that. Classic Peter Principle.

I hope he has a fine career and life but (in my admittedly unknowledgeable opinion) he was stealing these last years. From Alabama, and from himself and his players. I'm sure it had to be hard to know what to do. Let me proffer advice. Number 1: don't be or act like a martyr. If it's not working, cut bait. Let someone else fish.

I hope we can prove less dysfunctional as a University than our previous hires and get on a good course for the next few decades.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Maybe he didn't feel comfortable here. Maybe his wife hated it here. Who knows??
We simply don't. If it was the latter, he was between a rock and a hard spot. He couldn't leave, as that would have labelled him a quitter. Perhaps he just tried to quietly wear out his welcome.

I have often wondered if the latter truly was the case. It would explain a lot of seemingly inexplicable events.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Hiring Greg Marshall is a home run in my humble opinion. His resume speaks for itself. I firmly believe that he will thrive at the capstone and we fans will begin to think again of the days of Wimp and CM Newton. I love Alabama basketball and earnestly hope and pray that they will once again field quality teams. I think that will happen if Marshall becomes the next coach. He will probably need the most help in recruiting. The move from Kansas to Alabama are very different recruiting grounds. That help can be found in assistant coaches and grad assistants.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One factor is that CGM is a Southerner. In fact, when his mom was interviewed, she said her goal for him for a long time was to get back to the South. She went on to say that she was now happy with where he is. However, I don't think that she would oppose a move to Bama. Certainly he will need help with local factors in recruiting and I hope he retains Pettway, but Southerners usually do well in recruiting the South...

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I hate to say it, but as a life-long Alabama native, born and raised: if you're not from here, living in Alabama might be quite a culture shock, to put it mildly. This entire post is speculative, so bear with me; I'm trying my best to figure out a sane explanation for the last six year's debacle. Maybe there's no way to make sense from nonsense.

Here goes: Anthony Grant may have taken the job, despite misgivings, because he felt he had to do it. A traditionally racist southern sports power was offering a legitimate top job with a good AD (Mal Moore ) and real support. Maybe he didn't feel comfortable here. Maybe his wife hated it here. Who knows??

I'm sorry, but whatever his motivations, he should have, at least in retrospect, politely declined. Unless this leopard changes from spots to plaid, in my opinion, he has no business near a top Major College job. CAG seems completely unqualified to handle the media requirements of any head coaching job above non-scholarship division III. He's a co-ordinator who needs to remain a co-ordinator. Nothing wrong with that. Classic Peter Principle.

I hope he has a fine career and life but (in my admittedly unknowledgeable opinion) he was stealing these last years. From Alabama, and from himself and his players. I'm sure it had to be hard to know what to do. Let me proffer advice. Number 1: don't be or act like a martyr. If it's not working, cut bait. Let someone else fish.

I hope we can prove less dysfunctional as a University than our previous hires and get on a good course for the next few decades.
We really don't need to kick the dead horse. How has CAG acted like a martyr? Sometimes jobs aren't a fit for any of a variety of reasons. That reason doesn't have to have a single thing to do with his race.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.