Coach Grant As A TV Analyst

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I believe CAG's lack of personality is one thing that charged the "Bruce Pearl" ideas.

Not so much coaching, but personality. Pearl has that, no doubt, but I know why Bama didn't go that route, but Pearl understands how to own a room and promote his program and bring excitement. CAG NEVER, EVER got that.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
As successful as an "analyst" as he was as an SEC coach. :rolleye2:
Grant's got nothing as an analyst, just like he had nothing come crunch time as an SEC coach. But he certainly looks the part of analyst just like he looked the part (did he ever) of a successful basketball coach. Presumably, his "career" as a media analyst was one-and-done (sound familiar?), but if it's ongoing he needs a media coach as badly as Alabama needs a basketball coach.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I think that if a person truly loves their occupation, they can talk about it and their love of it will show through that discussion. But I just don't see that in Anthony Grant. I see a man who is so bored with it that he literally could not wait to get out of there. That said, I just don't see him taking a job as an analyst because his boredom would show through that as well.
I think he should take a break for a while and enjoy his money. Then maybe he can find something that he truly enjoys. We all know that's not basketball.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Best vignette of Grant's analyst career: TBS showed a clip of the Wisconsin player's link: humorous pregame vocabulary rant and then went to Grant for a reaction. "That's the great thing about the tournament," he said, "it really lets the personalities of some of these players come through that you might not see otherwise." And anybody with any familiarity on Grant's coaching career at Alabama had to be compelled to ask: "And you know this how, exactly? From watching it on TV like the rest of us?"

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Anyone who get fired before the tourney, wouldn't want to coach reset of the games.... I wouldn't. I don't blame Grant for that. If he wants to do TV? Great. if he wants to do Dancing with the stars.. Great. If he wants to go back to NBA and play basketball. Great. I simply dont care what he does, because that is his life, and If he's happy doing things he want to do, I support. We shouldn't question his passion for the game... because we have heard several times from the current and formerplayers and other coaches saying that... We don't know man well enough to speak and think for himself.. The fact everyone is saying that he doesn't have the passion for the game truly bothers me.. because that is not true at all. So please don't speak for other people, because I know that is not a true statement. Why can't we just leave this man alone and let him enjoy this and focus on searching for new coach....

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Because he was very unprofessional not continuing his contract (from a member of NABC). His lack of promoting the program and accepting those responsibilities as the "leader" of the program. He may have "passion" for the game, but not at Alabama. The last 3 years have been a waste of talent and the program in general.

Anyone who get fired before the tourney, wouldn't want to coach reset of the games.... I wouldn't. I don't blame Grant for that. If he wants to do TV? Great. if he wants to do Dancing with the stars.. Great. If he wants to go back to NBA and play basketball. Great. I simply dont care what he does, because that is his life, and If he's happy doing things he want to do, I support. We shouldn't question his passion for the game... because we have heard several times from the current and formerplayers and other coaches saying that... We don't know man well enough to speak and think for himself.. The fact everyone is saying that he doesn't have the passion for the game truly bothers me.. because that is not true at all. So please don't speak for other people, because I know that is not a true statement. Why can't we just leave this man alone and let him enjoy this and focus on searching for new coach....

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Because he was very unprofessional not continuing his contract (from a member of NABC). His lack of promoting the program and accepting those responsibilities as the "leader" of the program. He may have "passion" for the game, but not at Alabama. The last 3 years have been a waste of talent and the program in general.
I agree wholeheartedly. I noticed 2 years ago he was not showing any passion on the sideline. He only showed glimpses of emotion after the win at Auburn, but for the most part he sat on the bench the whole game. I think LD is absolutely right. He wanted out, but made no effort with his bosses to communicate that fact. If he was not happy, I am sure they would have worked out a negotiated settlement. Now were are sitting here with a program stuck in the doldrums, because we allowed him to make us an also ran. I do think the timing is good in that right now we are the only major conference team in the market for a new coach. Lets hope we land a whale.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Yesterday on the "afternoon drive" (Huntsville area call-in sports talk show) and they (Steve Moulton and Wes Neighbors) were talking about the many times they had reached out to get an interview with Anthony Grant and he would not come on their show. They have had NO problems getting Bruce Pearl on their show. That speaks VOLUMES about Grant.

CraigMack

1st Team
Jul 13, 2000
Chelsea, AL
Yesterday on the "afternoon drive" (Huntsville area call-in sports talk show) and they (Steve Moulton and Wes Neighbors) were talking about the many times they had reached out to get an interview with Anthony Grant and he would not come on their show. They have had NO problems getting Bruce Pearl on their show. That speaks VOLUMES about Grant.

I liked Grant, but stuff like that drove me crazy. He was getting paid a LOT of money, especially considering the results, and it was though he didn't have time for such things…which were part of his job.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
If he is truly an introvert, I feel for him. It's a different world for us introverts. Still, he had his opportunity and failed, and I'm not feeling sorry for him on that front. I wish him the best. But being a head coach at a major program, you've got to be able to be a people person. Whether you are just extroverted and enjoy it, or you are able to get out of your comfort zone. I've heard Nick Saban is actually introverted as well, but he obviously is able to overcome that.

If you can't market yourself and your program, you are almost doomed to failure in big time collegiate athletics.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.