2015 Coaching changes

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, will Donovan leave and actually stay gone this time? If so, who will replace him at UF? I have to figure xCAG is on the list but I have to believe his stock has dropped a bit since the time Donovan almost went to the NBA. Given the timing of this move I wonder if they might name Pelphrey or Grant as an interim coach and then wait until next year to see who is available.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, will Donovan leave and actually stay gone this time? If so, who will replace him at UF? I have to figure xCAG is on the list but I have to believe his stock has dropped a bit since the time Donovan almost went to the NBA. Given the timing of this move I wonder if they might name Pelphrey or Grant as an interim coach and then wait until next year to see who is available.
Some media sources believe Grant goes to OKC with Donovan.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
FYI: here's a suggested partial list of potential candidates in no particular order.....

• Greg Marshall - Wichita State (has huge contract and supposedly loves where he is)
  • Archie Miller - Dayton (brother of Sean Miller)
  • Larry Krystkowiak - Utah (has rebuilt Utah, but already has a Power 5 coaching job)
  • John Becker - Vermont (has won 20 games and finished 1st or 2nd in conference all 4 years)
  • Fred Hoiberg - Iowa State (4 straight NCAAs; already has a Power 5 job and is coaching his alma mater)
  • Chris Mack - Xavier (has made NCAAs 5/6 years with 3 Sweet 16s; is coaching his alma mater)
  • Richard Pitino - Minnesota (only former UF assistant on list; won NIT first year, but regressed last season)
  • Michael White - La Tech (finished 1st in conference and won at least 27 games each of last 3 years)
  • Tommy Amaker - Harvard (former player/assistant to Coach K and former HC at Michigan)
  • Jay Wright - Villanova (strong coach, but supposedly happy where he is)
  • Tim Miles - Nebraska (guided NU to a good year two seasons ago, but slipped last year)
  • Tony Bennett - Virginia (has been terrific, but would he leave an ACC program for UF?)
  • Danny Hurley - Rhode Island (has taken Rhode Island from 8 wins to 23 wins)
  • A top assistant coach at a blue blood school (anyone have any names?)
  • Someone on staff (Grant, Pelphrey)
  • Get Billy to change his mind after 4 days

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
FYI: here's a suggested partial list of potential candidates in no particular order.....

• Greg Marshall - Wichita State (has huge contract and supposedly loves where he is)
  • Larry Krystkowiak - Utah (has rebuilt Utah, but already has a Power 5 coaching job)
  • John Becker - Vermont (has won 20 games and finished 1st or 2nd in conference all 4 years)
  • Fred Hoiberg - Iowa State (4 straight NCAAs; already has a Power 5 job and is coaching his alma mater)
  • Chris Mack - Xavier (has made NCAAs 5/6 years with 3 Sweet 16s; is coaching his alma mater)
  • Richard Pitino - Minnesota (only former UF assistant on list; won NIT first year, but regressed last season)
  • Michael White - La Tech (finished 1st in conference and won at least 27 games each of last 3 years)
  • Tommy Amaker - Harvard (former player/assistant to Coach K and former HC at Michigan)
  • Tim Miles - Nebraska (guided NU to a good year two seasons ago, but slipped last year)
  • Tony Bennett - Virginia (has been terrific, but would he leave an ACC program for UF?)
What about Brad Underwood? I could see Foley going after someone like him.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

Is anyone else having deja vu? :biggrin2:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Bazza, what are your thoughts on the timing of this? Perhaps it isn't like football but it seems to me the window for finding a top-notch coach has already closed for this offseason. I wonder if Foley would reach out to a few top candidates and if he doesn't get any bites then name an interim coach until next year.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Bazza, what are your thoughts on the timing of this? Perhaps it isn't like football but it seems to me the window for finding a top-notch coach has already closed for this offseason. I wonder if Foley would reach out to a few top candidates and if he doesn't get any bites then name an interim coach until next year.
Foley is on record (ESPN) as saying there is no urgency - it will likely be a 3-4 week process.

I think anything is possible in regards to the scenarios you mention.

Look at how the Coach Johnson hire happened. Who would have predicted the way that all took place?

I'm just going to relax and trust Foley and staff to get it right. Both our schools have really great AD's, thankfully!

Guess we'll see what happens.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Foley is on record (ESPN) as saying there is no urgency - it will likely be a 3-4 week process.

I think anything is possible in regards to the scenarios you mention.

Look at how the Coach Johnson hire happened. Who would have predicted the way that all took place?

I'm just going to relax and trust Foley and staff to get it right. Both our schools have really great AD's, thankfully!

Guess we'll see what happens.
I'm of the opinion that there is almost always a good coach available if you are willing to do your homework and be patient but usually timing is everything. A rushed, panic hire is the absolute worst thing that can happen (e.g. Shula). Foley has made some great hires and seems to have his act together (most of the time) and the UF job is one of the top 20 jobs in the country (maybe even top 10) so you should be able to get a top-notch coach. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I'm of the opinion that there is almost always a good coach available if you are willing to do your homework and be patient but usually timing is everything. A rushed, panic hire is the absolute worst thing that can happen (e.g. Shula). Foley has made some great hires and seems to have his act together (most of the time) and the UF job is one of the top 20 jobs in the country (maybe even top 10) so you should be able to get a top-notch coach. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Thanks, I agree. Both our programs with new head coaches next season....should be very interesting!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.