2015 Coaching changes

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Pat Forde (so take it with a grain of salt) is reporting that Michael White is top candidate for the UF job.

Link

Louisiana Tech coach Michael White is emerging as the top candidate to replace Billy Donovan at Florida, Yahoo! Sports' Pat Forde reported Thursday.

White has led Louisiana Tech to a 101-40 record over the past four years, winning at least 27 games every season and leading the Bulldogs to the NIT in each of the last three years. He was the WAC Coach of the Year in 2013 before the Bulldogs moved to Conference USA, where he's led the Bulldogs to two straight regular-season titles but no conference tourney wins.

White, 38, the son of Duke Athletic Director Kevin White, coaches a fast-paced style, and has recruited extensively in Florida -- five members of his current roster are from the Sunshine State. He was targeted by Tennessee last year when the Vols sought to replace Cuonzo Martin, but instead got a six-year contract extension at Louisiana Tech.

The Gators are searching for a replacement for Billy Donovan, who last week accepted the head coaching job with the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder after leading Florida to two national titles and four Final Fours in 19 years.

Other potential candidates mentioned for the Gators' job are Dayton's Archie Miller, Xavier's Chris Mack and former Alabama head coach Anthony Grant.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Maybe White may work out to be a brilliant hire, but it's kinda strange that Florida hired a coach that we could've had but chose to look elsewhere.
Chuck......are you saying he was available but Bama didn't want him?

I like both hires that both schools made.

Next year should be a fun one for both programs!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Chuck......are you saying he was available but Bama didn't want him?

I like both hires that both schools made.

Next year should be a fun one for both programs!
Agreed. I think the SEC in general will be a lot more fun over the next 2-3 years with the recent coaching upgrades. Now we need the league to step up the quality of officiating to make the games more enjoyable for everyone.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Saw a Twitter post from bama hoops blog saying that Roy Rogers (former tide player and current Washington Wizards assistant) will join CAJ's staff after Wizards playoff run is complete

https://twitter.com/bamahoopsblog/status/595755387997048832
I would love this hire. Roy was a shot blocking machine (he had a double digit night several times) and I don't think I have ever seen a player improve as much as he did by the time he became a senior.

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
Agreed. I think the SEC in general will be a lot more fun over the next 2-3 years with the recent coaching upgrades. Now we need the league to step up the quality of officiating to make the games more enjoyable for everyone.
Florida made a possible decent hire, but they did not upgrade from Billy D.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Florida made a possible decent hire, but they did not upgrade from Billy D.
I was primarily referring to CAJ, Pearl, Howland, & Barnes. The overall quality of the SEC should pick up with these coaching upgrades. White is stepping into a good situation at UF so he may pick up where Donovan left off without skipping a beat. The problem with White, Prohm, etc. is that we don't know how good they really are until they have been at a power 5 school like UF for 3-4 years. They could turn out to be the next Billy Donovan or they could turn out to be the next Anthony Grant.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We might not be finished with the coaching changes...

John Calipari interested in Pelicans' job, source says

Given the opportunity to reunite with star forward Anthony Davis, Kentucky coach John Calipari has made it known to New Orleans Pelicans officials that he's interested in the team's vacant head-coaching job, a source close to Calipari said Tuesday.

There have been exploratory conversations between Calipari and the Pelicans, the source said, but it doesn't appear the team would be willing to meet his financial demands to leave Kentucky.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.