France crash: Germanwings plane obliterated, both recorders found

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Re: France crash: Germanwings plane obliterated, data recorder found

Good question! Perhaps anti-hijack protocol?

On a separate note.....good to have you back Earle.

Lance was saying you were on an island somewhere sipping margaritas.... ;)
I've not left. I've not been as active the last few weeks because of my surgery and being WAAY behind on work. I still check several times a day...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

I've not left. I've not been as active the last few weeks because of my surgery and being WAAY behind on work. I still check several times a day...
We appreciate all that you do.

Back to the topic......I guess the pilot's homes have now been thoroughly searched and their hard drives confiscated. Yeah this changes EVERYTHING!

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010

So sorry for the families of all who were killed. It is bad enough when there's an accident but IF it was intentional, it makes it more unbearable.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

On CNN just now they showed what the locking mechanism looks like. It's only accessible on the inside. Like a toggle switch with 3 positions. Unlock, normal, and lock.

They said this feature was born out of the 9-11 attacks.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

What if the pilot had a "guest" in the cockpit with him.
From the AP:

"Since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, airlines in the U.S. don't leave one pilot alone in the cockpit. The standard operating procedure is that if one of the pilots leaves — for example to use the bathroom — a flight attendant takes their spot in the cockpit. It was not immediately clear if European airlines have adopted the same practice."
And no, I do not suggest the picture above.
If Pilot A has to go to the loo, and leaves Pilot B locked alone in the cockpit, and Pilot B has a heart attack while the cockpit door is locked, then you have what happened in France: controlled flight into terrain.

Last edited:

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw

From the AP:

"Since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, airlines in the U.S. don't leave one pilot alone in the cockpit. The standard operating procedure is that if one of the pilots leaves — for example to use the bathroom — a flight attendant takes their spot in the cockpit. It was not immediately clear if European airlines have adopted the same practice."
And no, I do not suggest the picture above.
If Pilot A has to go to the loo, and leaves Pilot B locked alone in the cockpit, and Pilot B has a heart attack while the cockpit door is locked, then you have what happened in France: controlled flight into terrain.
If the remaining pilot had a heart attack as you suggest, the most likely scenario would be the auto pilot would had been engaged and hold course and altitude.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

It was the co-pilot who was in the cockpit and in control of the plane. The pilot left the cockpit less than one hour into a 2 hour flight. The co-pilot was completely silent during this time, normal breathing could be heard. - From a French press conference going on now.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa

This copilot is going to have a certain sounding name associated with a certain religion. I could almost guarantee it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Seems pretty obvious now that it was a suicide. Odd though that this was planned since how could he know that the pilot would leave the cockpit during only a 2 hour flight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.