Hard to believe we're about to enter Coach Saban's ninth year. When he first came I

NCTide

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2014
The biggest decision of the Saban era is the next hire. Gonna be super important we get the right guy.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Can't speak for Earle as he was a couple of years before me, but I attended UA 1973-80 (two degrees, not being slow!). BDS was only what is now the bottom bowl and held 60K. Not really a big time stadium. I read in an article when Mal Moore died that he had seen that and made it a mission to fix that.

Here is the scoreboard from that era:

View attachment 1955
Paul, it was more than just a few years. I started in 1957 and left in 1963, also with a law degree. It was increased from 31K to 43K while I was there...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
The biggest decision of the Saban era is the next hire. Gonna be super important we get the right guy.
The best thing that Bama fans and alumni can do is stay out of it instead of demanding that we hire an assistant. We don't need another DuBose.

The A.D. will need to hire the BEST in the country, but the BEST may not want to follow Coach Saban. We don't need someone who we think will be good. We need someone who we KNOW will be good. Just look at the similar qualities of Coach Wade, Coach Thomas, Coach Bryant, and Coach Saban and make sure the new coach has these same characteristics/traits. We don't need a "clapper" on the sideline. We need an intelligent person who makes effective decisions and has a proven track record.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
hope this isn't seen as a hijack attempt

When you began at UofA, what was the stadium config? Was it a small bowl yet? Stands on each side? One end filled in?

Also, did any expansion occur while you were there? I know this info is probably on rolltide.com. Think it would be interesting for you or someone of your generation to give your version of history.

Thanks. Great thread, TommyMac.

Edit: found this link with photos http://crimsontider.com/bryant-denny.htm
Being of that era I can offer that, in the 1950's the stadium seated a bit over 30,000 and both end zones were open with rather rickety bleacher seating located there. An expansion was done around 1961(?) that, if memory serves, replaced the press box, upgraded the lights, and added about 12,000 seats. Despite the upgrade, the lighting was still not adequate for TV so night games that were to be televised continued to be played at Legion Field. Later auxiliary lighting would be brought in and this in concert with improvements in video technology permitted games to be telecast from Denny Stadium (Bryant had not been added to the stadium name then). Prior to the upgrade in 1961 or thereabouts the only games I remember being played in the stadium at night were high school games on Friday nights.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The time Coach Saban has spent here has certainly brought a lot of great players and great memories to the University of Alabama. When he retires I'm expecting us to have good teams but not championship caliber teams for a while. Once again we may have to go through several head coaches before we find the one to get us back to the top. I'd love to see Coach Saban still on the sidelines at age 70. That would certainly be something nobody expected. Great coaches rarely come along, so for now ENJOY! Roll Tide!!!

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
The time Coach Saban has spent here has certainly brought a lot of great players and great memories to the University of Alabama. When he retires I'm expecting us to have good teams but not championship caliber teams for a while. Once again we may have to go through several head coaches before we find the one to get us back to the top. I'd love to see Coach Saban still on the sidelines at age 70. That would certainly be something nobody expected. Great coaches rarely come along, so for now ENJOY! Roll Tide!!!

I'm hoping that they will try to get a recommendation from Coach Saban and will be wise enough to follow it.

One of Coach Bryant's great strengths was following his own advice, namely, that "You always gotta have a plan." It's also a staple for Coach Saban as well and I suspect it's a common trait of all great coaches.

There may have been times when one could coach by the seat of their pants, but with all the technology available to today's coaches, I suspect those days are past.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Why was the stadium in Tuscaloosa so substandard for so long. Were they too cheap to upgrade it or did they just enjoy the benefit of being in Birmingham for the big games that it wasn't worth the effort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
Oh, then son you really missed a treat when Dubose was here. I was thinking CNS would be here 5 years max, I remember all of the aubies saying 3 years and he'll dump us, go figure, and I remember the 70's quite well and this is how I felt back then, so all I can say is savor every moment because times like these are few and far between.
It is crazy to think how long it has been. For me as a fan...he is the only coach that I know. I wasn't "into" football when Shula was there.

I imagine this is how it felt when Coach Bryant was our Coach. I will feel out of sorts when Saban leaves. It will definitely be an adjustment.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
hope this isn't seen as a hijack attempt

When you began at UofA, what was the stadium config? Was it a small bowl yet? Stands on each side? One end filled in?

Also, did any expansion occur while you were there? I know this info is probably on rolltide.com. Think it would be interesting for you or someone of your generation to give your version of history.

Thanks. Great thread, TommyMac.

Edit: found this link with photos http://crimsontider.com/bryant-denny.htm
Imagine this....when I was at UA in the 70's I think Denny Stadium seated 54,000.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
Why was the stadium in Tuscaloosa so substandard for so long. Were they too cheap to upgrade it or did they just enjoy the benefit of being in Birmingham for the big games that it wasn't worth the effort?

Not so sure that the “substandard” is appropriate as there were many factors involved in stadium expansion. To put it in perspective consider the following:

First, remember that we’re talking 54 years ago when the stadium was expanded to 43,000 and at that time Tulane Stadium, which hosted the Sugar Bowl was easily the largest on-campus stadium in the SEC at around 65,000. The rest were pretty much in the size range of Denny or even smaller.

Tuscaloosa was a small town, population around 60,000 in that era. There just wasn’t the infrastructure or services to support larger crowds. After all folks want to eat and rent a hotel/motel room.

The U of A student population was a bit over 8,000 if I remember correctly. Then as now not all students were interested in going to the games.

Hank Crisp was the AD and a frugal gentleman indeed when it came to spending the AD’s dollars and remember, the ticket demand was for the Birmingham games, not the games in Tuscaloosa.

Alabama, as did Auburn, played four games a year at Legion Field, basically all of the two school’s major games. This gave Birmingham a total of seven big games a year (remember one of the four games for each school was the Iron Bowl).

The interstate system was just beginning to be built in Alabama. Mobile to Tuscaloosa was a weary five to six hour haul, very little of it four lane.

The cash flow from football was actually rather minor. Ticket prices for off-campus games was around $5.00. Teams travelled by bus. Alabama played a game in Mobile most years. For instance the first game in Coach Bryant’s tenure at Alabama was played against LSU in Mobile at Ladd Stadium.

I could ramble on, but why belabor the point further; besides I suspect I’m putting folks to sleep as it is.

Last edited:

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
I don't know only three SEC titles and three NC. We may need to ask if we are getting our $$ worth.

Seriously, the stability and the success without the NCAA breathing down are neck is very appreciated.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I enjoyed reading your post thank you for the history and thank you for sharing
I agree. He answered my question thoroughly and politely. Thank you for the history lesson, I thought it was interesting.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.