Hard to believe we're about to enter Coach Saban's ninth year. When he first came I

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
figured he would be here for 6-8 years max and I would have gladly settled for that because I knew he would be leaving us in far better shape than he found us.

Now I don't know. He doen't seem to be slowing down a whit, especially in recruiting. Those Little Debbie oatmeal cakes must really do it for him, surprised he doesn't have a contract with them by now.

I hope all you younger folks are appreciative of what you're seeing now. Better enjoy it while you can because it's really special. I was 17 when Coach Bryant came back home so I have a great frame of reference regarding just how special these days are. So whenever you want to complain about something or second guess any of his decisions, just remember, his decisions are based on a long ultra successful career of getting it right......time after time.

And be appreciative.........veeerry appreciative.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
figured he would be here for 6-8 years max and I would have gladly settled for that because I knew he would be leaving us in far better shape than he found us.

Now I don't know. He doen't seem to be slowing down a whit, especially in recruiting. Those Little Debbie oatmeal cakes must really do it for him, surprised he doesn't have a contract with them by now.

I hope all you younger folks are appreciative of what you're seeing now. Better enjoy it while you can because it's really special. I was 17 when Coach Bryant came back home so I have a great frame of reference regarding just how special these days are. So whenever you want to complain about something or second guess any of his decisions, just remember, his decisions are based on a long ultra successful career of getting it right......time after time.

I`ll second that Tommy. I too have been privileged to be able to witness all of the "Golden Eras " of modern Alabama football. The youngsters do indeed need to relish every minute.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I really appreciate the thread and agree wholeheartedly. I was born in 1962, so when Coach Bryant retired & passed away I was in college. I have watched, like everyone else, Bama's fortunes rise and fall throughout the years, so I am truly grateful and most appreciative of what Coach Saban has brought to us as Alabama fans.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Agreed. One only has to be a fan through the 80's, some of the 90's and the first half of the 00's to realize this. Thanks for the post.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Having spent my first year at UA under Whitworth, I'm probably uniquely qualified to appreciate this era and this post...

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Having spent my first year at UA under Whitworth, I'm probably uniquely qualified to appreciate this era and this post...
hope this isn't seen as a hijack attempt

When you began at UofA, what was the stadium config? Was it a small bowl yet? Stands on each side? One end filled in?

Also, did any expansion occur while you were there? I know this info is probably on rolltide.com. Think it would be interesting for you or someone of your generation to give your version of history.

Thanks. Great thread, TommyMac.

Edit: found this link with photos http://crimsontider.com/bryant-denny.htm

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
It is crazy to think how long it has been. For me as a fan...he is the only coach that I know. I wasn't "into" football when Shula was there.

I imagine this is how it felt when Coach Bryant was our Coach. I will feel out of sorts when Saban leaves. It will definitely be an adjustment.

Bama63

1st Team
Oct 25, 2000
Louisville, KY, Jefferson
I'm pretty close to you, Earle, as I decided to go to Alabama during the final year of Coach Whitworth... Mainly because I thought Auburn was so awful to run up the score like they did against a really awful Bama team in 1957. I didn't want to be one of THOSE unsporting people... I sure did enjoy it when we ran up the score on them a few years later, though. :)

With the memory of 1957 always in the back of my mind, I have been more tolerant than many fans during our weak years and maybe have had more enjoymnt than most during our great seasons.

RTR

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Hard to believe it has been that long. I remember right before CNS was hired I told a die-hard LSU fan that I was working with that there was a rumor Nick Saban may be Bama's next coach. He said he hoped that wasn't true because that would be a nightmare for LSU fans. I want to personally thank CNS for all that he has helped Bama accomplish and for making working in Corn Dog country so much more enjoyable.

bat123

All-American
I was at home on vacation and in my dentist office when my dentist told "Come with me I think you"ll want to watch this, so he and I slipped into his staff lounge and watched the press conference that announced the release of Mike Shula" I was floored not sure of the outcome I talked to a cousin a few days and he was the first to mention that he thought we'd get Saban as our next head coach. I laughed him off and added but if we do by some wild stroke of fate get him "We'll have a National Championship within 4 years" fortunately I was right about the championship thing.
I will never forget the years I watched the Tide under Coach Bryant and am savoring the special time we are enjoying now. Take full advantage of it and hope that when Coach Saban steps down we don't have to wait that long again!
Roll Tide and thanks to Coach Saban and staff! :BigA:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The long-term positives are that the program is probably on as solid a foundation - stability - since the mid-1970s (maybe ever since that was coming out of the integration era) and we finally have a coach who has been here longer than the seven years of Coach Stallings (and isn't leaving an NCAA wreckage behind).

Perkins (4)
Curry (3)
Stallings (7)
DuBose (4)
Franchione (2)
Price (n/a)
Shula (4)

So that's great. Thx for the post.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Great Post. My 8 year old daughter knows no other coach at Bama than CNS. What great times we live in. Makes me sick my Dad died in 2005. He would have loved all this. RTR!

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
hope this isn't seen as a hijack attempt

When you began at UofA, what was the stadium config? Was it a small bowl yet? Stands on each side? One end filled in?

Also, did any expansion occur while you were there? I know this info is probably on rolltide.com. Think it would be interesting for you or someone of your generation to give your version of history.

Thanks. Great thread, TommyMac.

Edit: found this link with photos http://crimsontider.com/bryant-denny.htm
Can't speak for Earle as he was a couple of years before me, but I attended UA 1973-80 (two degrees, not being slow!). BDS was only what is now the bottom bowl and held 60K. Not really a big time stadium. I read in an article when Mal Moore died that he had seen that and made it a mission to fix that.

Here is the scoreboard from that era:

Bryant-Denny Scoreboard 1979.jpg

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Excellent thread - this is a really special time at Alabama. I hope Saban sticks around and keep sit up for a long time - his positive impact on the university is almost immeasurable.

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Can't speak for Earle as he was a couple of years before me, but I attended UA 1973-80 (two degrees, not being slow!). BDS was only what is now the bottom bowl and held 60K. Not really a big time stadium. I read in an article when Mal Moore died that he had seen that and made it a mission to fix that.

Here is the scoreboard from that era:

View attachment 1955
I remember when kickoffs at B-D were usually around 1:30 PM. because there were no flood lights. Night games and the "bigger" games (Tenn, Georgia, etc) were played at Legion Field, while the Vandys and La. Techs were the B-D opponents.

I'm certainly proud of the Saban era, but I must admit to also feeling the comfort level that I felt when Coach Bryant was roaming the sidelines. It's hard for me to feel anyway other way than this, now, is just the way Alabama football is supposed to be. I have to force myself to realize that I have had the rare privilege of witnessing two of the greatest football coaches in history at the University that I love.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.