Patriots formation now ruled illegal substitution

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
We did something similar to this against LSU. While I'm glad we were able to make it work (and who wouldn't be if it does for your team), I am hopeful they will disallow this sort of thing going forward in college football.

link

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We did something similar to this against LSU. While I'm glad we were able to make it work (and who wouldn't be if it does for your team), I am hopeful they will disallow this sort of thing going forward in college football.

link
what we did was actually quite different. We shifted the LT (with an ineligible number of course) out wide right, still on the LOS so he was actually the RT and was covered so he never had to report as eligible. Brandon Greene who'd been playing TE all year was eligible and didn't have to report either since he wore a TE number anyway, and was lined up where the LT usually would be, but was actually still the TE in an unbalanced line. LSU wasted a cover guy by focusing three defenders out where we had two receivers and a tackle. That said, I have a hunch that Sims had a presnap read to where if LSU called off the outside coverage with three guys and only had two out there, we would have thrown a WR screen out there where we had numbers and potentially our best lineman from a blocking standpoint and it still could have been a pretty big play. I have to think CamRob would have cleaned the DBs clock pretty good.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama

link
Isn't this similar to the way College Football responded to numerous LEGAL innovations brought to the game by Coach Bryant?
(and to the work ethic of Coach Saban. . . )

If you can't beat 'em - change the rules to try to slow 'em down?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So then Oregon should get a penalty for their extra point formation if they adopt the rule in college. I think they should pay attention more.
Oregon never came up with that formation, and they arent the only ones that have it either. It has been ran for a long time. I remember when I was in high school, every team in our region aside from the big schools ran it. Its nothing innovating, and everyone is aware of its existence. Its not like the Lane Kiffin or Josh Mcdaniels plays that it is so taboo that noone is aware of the legality of the play.

As for the NFL. The NFL typically sides with the defensive and QB issues that are deemed for the "the fairness of the game" rather than new offensive tatics. Also worth noting that it was the Patriots, and not any other team that ran the play in question. So I really think its more of trying to make it harder for Tom Brady/ Bill Belechick to win another SB than the overall fairness or good of the game. But I highly doubt that they take the formational rules out of college in order to avoid the Wrath of Saban on the "fairness" of the game if they are to allow Gus to have his way with the HUNH rules.

Here is Arkansas

Here it is in the NFL

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Oregon never came up with that formation, and they arent the only ones that have it either. It has been ran for a long time. I remember when I was in high school, every team in our region aside from the big schools ran it. Its nothing innovating, and everyone is aware of its existence. Its not like the Lane Kiffin or Josh Mcdaniels plays that it is so taboo that noone is aware of the legality of the play.

As for the NFL. The NFL typically sides with the defensive and QB issues that are deemed for the "the fairness of the game" rather than new offensive tatics. Also worth noting that it was the Patriots, and not any other team that ran the play in question. So I really think its more of trying to make it harder for Tom Brady/ Bill Belechick to win another SB than the overall fairness or good of the game. But I highly doubt that they take the formational rules out of college in order to avoid the Wrath of Saban on the "fairness" of the game if they are to allow Gus to have his way with the HUNH rules.

Here is Arkansas

Here it is in the NFL
Oh I agree. Especially about it being one of the Darth Vader dark side teams like we are in CFB. I just used the Ducks due to their media darling status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.