Early buzz on Alabama’s new No. 1 receiver

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click here:

According to reports from both the Anniston (Ala.) Star and AL.com, the two receivers up first in drills, indicating their first-team status, have been redshirt sophomore Robert Foster and third-year junior Chris Black.
In the slot, where Christion Jones started the majority of 2014, it appears Black is the guy the coaching staff will turn to. Another touted recruit, a four-star player who was the No. 5 receiver in the class of 2012, Black hasn’t broken out yet at Alabama. After redshirting his freshman year, Black has accumulated 23 catches, 267 yards and two touchdowns in his two years on the field. He had more than a third of his career yards in a November game against Western Carolina, pulling in six receptions for 101 yards when Cooper went down with an injury, and looks to have explosive talent.
Black is considered one of the candidates to take over Jones’ role as a return man on special teams as well. According to practice reports, Black has taken some reps as returning kicks and looks to have the speed and instincts necessary to fill the role. Jones was inconsistent at times last year, so if Black can make good decisions returning kicks it would be a major boost for the Tide.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Few things I thought it was interesting:
- Black Returning Kicks? I was thinking we'll see Stewart, Foster, Drake, etc.
- Makes me wonder what we will do with Stewart. Stewart as No. 3 or no. 4?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Few things I thought it was interesting:
- Black Returning Kicks? I was thinking we'll see Stewart, Foster, Drake, etc.
- Makes me wonder what we will do with Stewart. Stewart as No. 3 or no. 4?
I would rather not see Drake returning kicks. I know players can get injured in practice or on any play but I wouldn't risk having KD returning kicks..

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
So excited to see this about Chris Black. He has maintained his humble ambition since his injury and I think he has what it takes to step in to some of the role Cooper played.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Glad to see Chris is getting his due after patiently waiting his turn. Coop grabbed the spotlight early and would not let it go.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I would rather not see Drake returning kicks. I know players can get injured in practice or on any play but I wouldn't risk having KD returning kicks..
Have any of our returners ever missed action because of an injury on a return?
I don't think Christion Jones did - I think he missed the 2nd half of a game, but I don't even think that injury was on a return. I don't remember Trent Richardson or Julio Jones missing any time due to a return injury. I don't recall Arenas missing any time either.

Jay Hughes

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2008
Newnan, GA
I don't think Christion Jones did - I think he missed the 2nd half of a game, but I don't even think that injury was on a return. I don't remember Trent Richardson or Julio Jones missing any time due to a return injury. I don't recall Arenas missing any time either.
If I am correct, Prothro took a shot to the leg, which he later snapped, while returning a kick. I believe the hit weakened his leg which later broke.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I would see Drake doing those things... I don't think it'll be an issue. Drake can play as WR/RB... We have great groups of WR... I think Drake is spending lot of time with WR to get his consistent speed back. With Kiffin's style of moving people around... Make me wonder if we'll see Drake/Henry on field at same time to create confusion for defense? The fact we have Bo Scarbough that will move around a lot too... thats lot of headaches for the opposing teams.... Let's not forgot about Howard.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
If I am correct, Prothro took a shot to the leg, which he later snapped, while returning a kick. I believe the hit weakened his leg which later broke.
The way he landed, I don't think an earlier hit in the game made any difference but I'm not a doctor

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Well, he was not returning a ball when he broke his leg. And that was over 10 years ago.
I'm just not sure why it seems people don't want any good players returning kicks because they might get injured when I can't even really recall any significant injury in the last 10 years - maybe more.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Marquis Maze early in the game on a punt return in the Sugar Bowl against LSU. Think it was a hamstring, not from contact IIRC. That was when Christion Jones stepped up huge for us.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I'm really glad to see Robert Foster stepping up his game. This guy's high school film is really good and he's going to be a really good one. He is capable of returning kicks but I'm not really sure about his speed.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
didn't Chris Black miss his freshman year because of a hit he took during a return before the season started?

I just want to see the bet returner out there, I do not care who it is.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think the shot he took on the return is what originally broke/fractured it and the catch finished it off.

As for me, I like to see the best one returning. Period.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm really glad to see Robert Foster stepping up his game. This guy's high school film is really good and he's going to be a really good one. He is capable of returning kicks but I'm not really sure about his speed.
I'm really excited about Foster also and think he can turn into our #1. He has size with his height and real good speed. I think Foster, Black and Stewart will be a very good 3 set and we then have our big WR's with Sims, Falkins and Kief and then you bring in 2 electric freshmen. IMO this is the deepest we have ever been at WR.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
didn't Chris Black miss his freshman year because of a hit he took during a return before the season started?

I just want to see the bet returner out there, I do not care who it is.
Yup. Whacked his shoulder and it was a stupid move by a young gun who went full contact. Injuries are going to happen. You can't hide guys from doing jobs due to potential injury. Im cool with someone who always is sure-handed, makes good decisions, and isn't afraid to signal fair catch once-in-a-while.

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
I have always felt this way also. He took a big hit on that left lower leg while back to return a punt early in that game. He was hobbling around quite a bit after that hit. I always thought that it may likely have fractured during that hit, then completely broke on the later play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.