Dean Smith got a chance to thank his players one last time.....

wsims74

3rd Team
Apr 30, 2013
Even as a Duke fan, I find this moving, also he must have been a fan of the movie Spy game, calling it "Dinner Out"

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yes Coach Smith has a huge imprint on UNC basketball and I consider myself lucky to have been to the Dean Dome to see UNC play before. He was always a classy guy and one of the closest coaches in my mind to ever come close to Coach Bryant in terms of how the players felt for him and how he would help his players even after they were done with school. Like Coach Bryant I think Coach Smith even brought the first black players into the ACC as well and even helped start a church (which I admit they are kind of out there with some issues) but he pushed the bar just like Coach Bryant did.

A lot of people don't realize he had 180 lettermen I think it was.:eek: I'm betting a lot of those checks wont even get cashed and will more than likely end up in a frame before it will a bank.

I always liked this joke about Coach Smith the best, who was the only person to keep Jordan under 15 points a game? Dean Smith:biggrin:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Even knowing about the story, I still get goosebumps. He is the embodiment of what a coach should be and strive to be every single day. RIP Coach Dean Smith.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That's really cool indeed.
Didn't Coach Bryant establish a foundation that was something like, "If you play here, your kids education is paid for if they attend Alabama"?

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Didn't Coach Bryant establish a foundation that was something like, "If you play here, your kids education is paid for if they attend Alabama"?
Yes, I work with a guy who went to The University on a Bryant Scholarship as a son of a former player. And, the scholarship was also awarded to Trey Waldrep, son of Kent Waldrep who is the TCU player who broke his neck in a game against Alabama.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Yes, he did. I always wondered what happens when there are no more eligible children. Does the scholly extend to grandkids or will it just change to a different type of general scholarship?

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Yes, I work with a guy who went to The University on a Bryant Scholarship as a son of a former player. And, the scholarship was also awarded to Trey Waldrep, son of Kent Waldrep who is the TCU player who broke his neck in a game against Alabama.
That's beyond awesome. Coach Bryant must have been pretty business and investment savy, as well as a great football coach. The money involved, in this scholarship program, is beyond my imagination.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought about the Bryant scholarship when I heard about Smith's gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
I'm sure Michael Jordan ($1 billion net worth) needs the $200.

Seriously, the NC fans and alums I know admire him and his legacy about the way we do Coach Bryant. When I first moved to NC over 25 years ago they were already referring to "The Dean Dome."

Class act all the way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.