If restaurant workers were paid at least $15/hour, would your tipping habits change?

If restaurant workers were paid at least $15/hour, would your tipping habits change?

• Total voters

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
This question occurred to me while reading about the impact of Seattle's $15/hour minimum wage on restaurant workers. Personally, I would probably cease leaving tips for restaurant workers; and I would expect consistent, professional service across all levels of restaurants.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Most of us would rarely go to restaurants because the cost of a meal would increase substantially. The market cannot sustain that level of pay at this time without reducing the number of employees and increasing prices.
I certainly would not tip someone already making $15. an hour and my tolerance for low quality and poor service would be very low.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Most of us would rarely go to restaurants because the cost of a meal would increase substantially. The market cannot sustain that level of pay at this time without reducing the number of employees and increasing prices.
I certainly would not tip someone already making $15. an hour and my tolerance for low quality and poor service would be very low.
I couldn't imagine any chain restaurants such as Waffle House being able to maintain their current price structure and pay all of the help $15 or more an hour. Remember, that is just a starting point. Imagine that if tbe dishwasher who just started last month is getting $15 an hour, how much would the Chef who has been there 10 years expect to make? The breakfast that cost $7.50 yesterday will cost you $27.50 tomorrow.

To the OP: A breakfast for two goes from $15 to $55. A 15% tip runs that up to $63.00.
I'm doing more than reducing the tip I leave. I'm eating at home.

Last edited:

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL

Many (most?) restaurants would be forced to reduce hours and/or positions or simply go out of business due to pricing themselves out of the market.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If servers are paid $15/hr, most restaurants would need to consider a no tipping policy.
We'd probably need to TIP the owners to help keep them in business. That is if SERVICE is good/excellent. If it's bad, then they go out of business and we cook our own meals at home.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Tipping would most likely go away as it has in most of Europe.
THIS is the answer. In Europe, when I've absent-mindedly left a tip in line with what I would here, I've had them push it back across the table and say "That's too much." It's an annoyance to them, if not a mild insult. I've chatted with a couple of them. Basically, they said that they were well-paid, and, while they appreciated a few extra coins as an appreciation for their service, they didn't need to receive a bribe in order to do good work. The incomes of most American servers are so uncertain, 100% of them would have grabbed the money and run...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
If fast food workers are included in this "raise" I would also expect that customer service at the "sit down" restaurants to go down as there's no incentive for customer service if they are getting paid the same as fast food employees.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
If the minimum wage were raised across the board (with no exceptions for tipped workers), I would imagine tipping would quickly go out of style. After all, $15 is supposed to be the "living wage" everyone keeps talking about. With the servers' labor cost going up some 700% and others' going up over 100%, I don't see how food prices don't rise substantially. Now, if they only go up 18-20%, it's probably a wash for a sit-down place if tipping is no longer expected. I may slip a few dollars to a really good server, but I would no longer feel obligated to tip 15% to the server who provided the bare minimum of acceptable service.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If fast food workers are included in this "raise" I would also expect that customer service at the "sit down" restaurants to go down as there's no incentive for customer service if they are getting paid the same as fast food employees.
However, this doesn't seem to be the case. In Europe, I get service as good as or better than here. Also, I get better service in what few fast food places I can frequent. It may just be a cultural matter, but it's certainly not for lack of tipping. Also, even in expensive restaurants over there, the servers have a large compartmented leather pouch. They figure your bill and give you your change at table-side. There's no running back and forth to a computerized terminal. Honesty is assumed...

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
However, this doesn't seem to be the case. In Europe, I get service as good as or better than here. Also, I get better service in what few fast food places I can frequent. It may just be a cultural matter, but it's certainly not for lack of tipping. Also, even in expensive restaurants over there, the servers have a large compartmented leather pouch. They figure your bill and give you your change at table-side. There's no running back and forth to a computerized terminal. Honesty is assumed...
I find it a much slower pace in Europe, my time is mostly spent in the UK.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I think with Americans being so credit card centric, this probably wouldn't be advantageous. In addition, you're dealing with European servers v. American servers. American math skills are not where they should be and I doubt many of the servers would be able to manually compute the bill and make correct change. ;)

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/...ays-us-students-scoring-bottom-math-and-scie/

In this chart, the US ranked 36th in Math. Below the OECD average. Sad, but true.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/03/pisa-results-country-best-reading-maths-science

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think with Americans being so credit card centric, this probably wouldn't be advantageous. In addition, you're dealing with European servers v. American servers. American math skills are not where they should be and I doubt many of the servers would be able to manually compute the bill and make correct change. ;)

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/...ays-us-students-scoring-bottom-math-and-scie/

In this chart, the US ranked 36th in Math. Below the OECD average. Sad, but true.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/dec/03/pisa-results-country-best-reading-maths-science
I'm afraid you're right. Even as I typed my post, I was thinking that most American servers couldn't handle it. Years ago, when we still owned the condo in Vail, we started out skiing one morning and I realized I needed glove liners, since it was significantly colder than I'd expected. Next door to our development was the "Evergreen Lodge," which was really about a five story hotel, big enough to have a small accessory shop on the ground floor. I circled around, clunking along in ski boots and up to the shop, which was open. However, a morose-looking late teenager was behind the cash register. I picked out what I needed and tendered $15. He apologized that their network was down. I asked if he could open the register. He could. I suggested that I could just leave the money, take the change and leave my business card, with my phone number next door and, at the end of the day, I'd check back by and, if my purchase caused a problem, we could back it out and redo it. He replied "But I wouldn't know how much change to give you." I let that sink in for several seconds. Then I replied that I'd just leave the $15, take the $1.57, sign my name and check back at the end of the day. He brightened up at that and said that would work. I went off just shaking my head...

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I'm afraid you're right. Even as I typed my post, I was thinking that most American servers couldn't handle it. Years ago, when we still owned the condo in Vail, we started out skiing one morning and I realized I needed glove liners, since it was significantly colder than I'd expected. Next door to our development was the "Evergreen Lodge," which was really about a five story hotel, big enough to have a small accessory shop on the ground floor. I circled around, clunking along in ski boots and up to the shop, which was open. However, a morose-looking late teenager was behind the cash register. I picked out what I needed and tendered $15. He apologized that their network was down. I asked if he could open the register. He could. I suggested that I could just leave the money, take the change and leave my business card, with my phone number next door and, at the end of the day, I'd check back by and, if my purchase caused a problem, we could back it out and redo it. He replied "But I wouldn't know how much change to give you." I let that sink in for several seconds. Then I replied that I'd just leave the $15, take the $1.57, sign my name and check back at the end of the day. He brightened up at that and said that would work. I went off just shaking my head...
For a humorous but foul language account of a ski lodge salesperson's incompetence and the buyer's over-the-top vengeance, google david thorne gloves

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
based on everyone I've ever known who worked at a ski resort, though he may have also been stupid he almost certainly was stoned

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.