Jim McElwain: Florida roster 'really insufficient' in wake of Will Muschamp era

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I think that the jury is still out on Muschamp as a head coach. He certainly failed at Florida, but he handled that failure about as well as any head coach that I have ever seen. Go back and watch his presser after he was dismissed. He took complete responsibility for the teams' failures and accepted the result as well as anyone could have.

Yes - he is a hot head, but so was Saban for most of his career. Heck, many of the best head coaches in football get pretty animated on the sidelines. As long as Muschamp properly focuses that anger, I don't see it as a problem.

Muschamp will get another shot at a head coaching gig. When he does, we'll find out if he learned anything from his initial failures.
Who else could he blame? Yea he took it like a man and accepted blame, but who was he going to blame? I am not talking about Champs attitude on the sidelines. Too many stories about his temper not just on the sidelines. Of course, he could have learned from his mistakes......I just dont think his personality will mix well with Malzapahn, especially if Malzapahn continues to place Champ's defense in a bad position. He definitely was not a good head coach at Florida and that Tejas head coach in waiting stint under Brown, obviously didnt prepare him for the big time. He will get another chance as he is still young....but the foundation at Florida was left a mess internally before he arrived.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I'm sure some of McElwain's remarks are intended to limit expectations, but that's not to say there isn't a hell of a lot of validity to what he has said.

It is certainly true that Florida has pretty good talent overall -- and Muschamp was right on that when he said it a few months back -- but the distribution of that talent is badly skewed to the defensive side of the ball. It's no grand secret that for years Florida was an absolute mess offensively under Muschamp, and McElwain has merely inherited that mess. In that sense, his comments here really just re-state the obvious.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
Sounds like much ado about nothing, since his comments were geared more toward the quantity of players, not so much the quality, though both are lower than Florida standards.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.