Jim McElwain: Florida roster 'really insufficient' in wake of Will Muschamp era

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Click here
"When you look at it, you know, the thing that has been lacking is the numbers and the size of what we're doing on the other side of the ball," McElwain told reporters in Gainesville. "It's probably the reason we're here. That's all right, man, I'm excited to be here and we're going to get it taken care of."

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I like Muschamp's intensity, but seeing as how he was fired, not taking another head coaching job, he needs to just sdsu (sit down, shut up).

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I have no respect for Muschamp. He did a poor job coaching and recruiting. He left UF in a terrible position. In my opinion, he is a man of no integrity, no skills, no tact, and no class (the kind of coach the barn loves). It will take Mac a couple of years recruiting to recover the damage done. But I believe Mac has what it takes to get UF back to head of the East.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I have no respect for Muschamp. He did a poor job coaching and recruiting. He left UF in a terrible position. In my opinion, he is a man of no integrity, no skills, no tact, and no class (the kind of coach the barn loves). It will take Mac a couple of years recruiting to recover the damage done. But I believe Mac has what it takes to get UF back to head of the East.
Agree totally. I never had much of an opinion either way of Muschamp, but with his move to auburn I can now really dislike him.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Couple of things at play here....

In Muschamp's defense, some very talented guys decided to move on after Muschamp left.

But for the most part, Coach Mac is right..the talent on the offensive side of the ball has been very underwhelming, and the development (or lack thereof) even moreso. And as someone alluded to, Coach Mac is politicking more than anything to give himself some breathing room.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Couple of things at play here....

In Muschamp's defense, some very talented guys decided to move on after Muschamp left.

But for the most part, Coach Mac is right..the talent on the offensive side of the ball has been very underwhelming, and the development (or lack thereof) even moreso. And as someone alluded to, Coach Mac is politicking more than anything to give himself some breathing room.
I never in a million years would have ever thought Florida would have a lack of offensive talent, but it's been obvious over the past couple of seasons, they do.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I never in a million years would have ever thought Florida would have a lack of offensive talent, but it's been obvious over the past couple of seasons, they do.
Yep, primarily due to CWM putting too much stock in C. Weiss straight outa the gate. Then never could secure a real OC/Recruiter to compete in the SEC. He's just simply not head coach material. And only time will tell if he still has what it takes as an SEC DC. But my money say's the west Georgia bus will crash and burn inside 3 seasons or less. :wink:

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
You do realize that Muschamp quote is about 4 months old, right?
Regardless when Muschump said it, he was admitting he is not a very good head coach. If there is a lot of talent there, he has proven he couldn't coach it or develop it.

And if Jim Mac is correct, then it shows Muschump was a bad head coach because he could not manage building a team, recruiting the right talent for his program.

Either way, it is proven Muschump is not a good Head Coach. He will also have his challenges at Allbarn with Malzapahn and his offense being the priority in recruiting and coaching. Plus Champ is such a hot head, I am waiting to see how long it takes him and fussy to get into a difference of direction.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Regardless when Muschump said it, he was admitting he is not a very good head coach. If there is a lot of talent there, he has proven he couldn't coach it or develop it.

And if Jim Mac is correct, then it shows Muschump was a bad head coach because he could not manage building a team, recruiting the right talent for his program.

Either way, it is proven Muschump is not a good Head Coach. He will also have his challenges at Allbarn with Malzapahn and his offense being the priority in recruiting and coaching. Plus Champ is such a hot head, I am waiting to see how long it takes him and fussy to get into a difference of direction.
I think that the jury is still out on Muschamp as a head coach. He certainly failed at Florida, but he handled that failure about as well as any head coach that I have ever seen. Go back and watch his presser after he was dismissed. He took complete responsibility for the teams' failures and accepted the result as well as anyone could have.

Yes - he is a hot head, but so was Saban for most of his career. Heck, many of the best head coaches in football get pretty animated on the sidelines. As long as Muschamp properly focuses that anger, I don't see it as a problem.

Muschamp will get another shot at a head coaching gig. When he does, we'll find out if he learned anything from his initial failures.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Not sure what to expect but we can only go up from where we've been the past 4 years.

I trust in Coach Mac and Coach Nuss to keep us going in the right direction.

No comment on CWM.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Bazza, Meyer left that program in a shambles, that much is obvious. Maybe Muschamp could've ran a normal program, but the backbone if that program needed to be rebuilt. Tall task for anyone.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.