And now Jonathan Taylor....again

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Hindsight is 20/20. If he would have been a superstar for us, the same people saying how they never wanted him here would be saying how great of a pickup he was.

Anyway he's gone and needs help that he wasn't going to get by playing football for UA in the first place.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Hindsight is 20/20. If he would have been a superstar for us, the same people saying how they never wanted him here would be saying how great of a pickup he was.

Anyway he's gone and needs help that he wasn't going to get by playing football for UA in the first place.
You can't say that. We have another on the team that was given a second chance many here did not want, myself included. He has done well but I haven't changed my mind.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

You may be correct for some, but I would not be one of them. Winning means nothing to me if morals and integrity are compromised...LK...cough, cough. Anyway, it is nice when people make the most of second chances, but some people never learn. However, our society teaches people that if you are talented enough, it doesn't really matter how you behave, which is really a shame.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
You may be correct for some, but I would not be one of them. Winning means nothing to me if morals and integrity are compromised...LK...cough, cough. Anyway, it is nice when people make the most of second chances, but some people never learn. However, our society teaches people that if you are talented enough, it doesn't really matter how you behave, which is really a shame.
Thank you.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There were 10 other schools (mostly SEC and ACC) who would have signed him if we didn't. He signed with us and we gave him a second chance and he blew it. As long as Alabama dismiss him from the program and university I don't see this as a big deal. People will talk about it for a couple of days and then it will be over with..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

search my posts I was very clear in my displeasure with his signing.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I find it extremely difficult to pass judgement. I hope he can sort his life out and learn to prioritize what is and isn't important.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Wrong. Pat Dye said hindsight was 50/50. :wink:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don't blame Saban..he thought he could change. Well he didn't and now this is where Saban needs to make the right decision and kick him off the team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
DJ Pettway seems to have made the most of his second chance. Still, I thought at the time his second chance would be better delivered at another school. Some on TF agreed. Some didn't.

Barring new exculpatory information (which I don't expect), Taylor has blown his second chance. He has to be gone immediately.

Which brings us to how to handle these things going forward. Is a 50% success rate -- which assumes Pettway keeping himself clean for another year -- enough to continue the policy?

My own thought would be not for off-field violence. For drugs and alcohol, I'd say yes.

As far as Geno Smith's second DUI, that looks like a medical problem. And yes, it could have ended with an innocent person being hurt. But results matter, and it didn't.

We punish reckless driving to a lesser degree than we do vehicular manslaughter because of the difference in outcome. But there is no difference in the behavior itself, only the result.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I didn't know the full story (I pay no attention to recruiting), so I'll just say while it's easy for me to say, I wouldn't have let him come here knowing what I know now. That said, he's gone and here's hoping it gets his attention (but I fear it won't).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.