And now Jonathan Taylor....again

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Jonathan Taylor...I didn't think we should have signed him. His domestic abuse issue was very serious and I don't think we should allow that element around the program.

In abstract, more Jonathan Taylor types WILL come to the University of Alabama. In a world where Auburn can transform from bad to title-caliber in an off-season by adding another SEC school's dismissal at QB has made this a reality. I don't think we should be taking on domestic abuse problems, but a QB with a weed lust, a drinking issue, or a petty theft problem...if he can produce a title then it will probably happen. Those are the boundaries now and these coaches have too much money tied to their performance expectations to be making high-minded moral judgements. The floor is just pretty low now on what will nix a kid from a second chance. I have to imagine domestic abuse is now one of them for the University of Alabama.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's time for everyone to get their hot-take outrage piece in over player discipline dismissals and transfers. Whatever.

Jonathan Taylor was a bad get from the outset but let the peanut gallery get their conniptions out then realize that we'll still be taking on other dismissals in the future if they can player ball. Lets not forget that DJ Pettway got his second chance and hasn't been a problem...even finished his degree with 1 year of eligibility left.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I get it, but a 4* or 5* guy will get a second chance somewhere - not sure why Alabama needs to be 'second chance central'.
I think your old enought to remember Johnny Musso. I know he was an allstar out of highschool. But I have never see another player that played 110% like Musso. I am sure there are other examples, but go look at the video of him running. If these kids gave half a much as he did you would have the problems. Also open a new Bryant Hall and put the players in there. I know another called built a dorm for football players these kids need to be monitored.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I love Reggie Ragland's tweet. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...ama_players.html#incart_2box_sports_index.ssf

ReggieRagland(bama) @reggieragland
Follow

I love my brothers no matter what they do its not my place to judge them or anybody else place to do so besides "God" he only should judge

Sometime we all need a reminder...
You're consistent, I'll give you that. Before the signing you were telling everyone who disagreed that we shouldn't judge, everyone deserves a 2nd chance and we'd be eating crow in a years time. Yet here we are just a few months later and he's been popped again for another DV charge and here you are "reminding" us that we shouldn't judge.

Shame on Reggie Ragland too. I get that he was a teammate (in the loosest sense of the word) but I hope he'd have contempt for a serial abuser.

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I think your old enought to remember Johnny Musso. I know he was an allstar out of highschool. But I have never see another player that played 110% like Musso. I am sure there are other examples, but go look at the video of him running. If these kids gave half a much as he did you would have the problems. Also open a new Bryant Hall and put the players in there. I know another called built a dorm for football players these kids need to be monitored.
Before you can have that "athletes only" dorm you'll have to get the NCAA to change their rules on the subject. Otherwise though I completely agree with you. On the other hand I'm afraid I'd agree with you if you hadn't limited the comment to players, that based sad to say on my own shenanigans back in the day.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yup.... I still stand by this. We gave him second chance and he blew it. The law is going to take care of him... I'm not going to judge him for what he did.. that's between him and the man up there. IT is what it is. :)

You're consistent, I'll give you that. Before the signing you were telling everyone who disagreed that we shouldn't judge, everyone deserves a 2nd chance and we'd be eating crow in a years time. Yet here we are just a few months later and he's been popped again for another DV charge and here you are "reminding" us that we shouldn't judge.

Shame on Reggie Ragland too. I get that he was a teammate (in the loosest sense of the word) but I hope he'd have contempt for a serial abuser.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm glad none of these Hanging Judges were around when I was a kid screwing up my life time after time...
I don't know your age, but it's likely that domestic violence wasn't treated as seriously (among other crimes) and the Internet wasn't around where everyone could voice an opinion, either.

(I'm ASSUMING your messing up things - which all of us did - did not rise to that level but even so - that was then and this is now).

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
My wife works with domestic violence and it is a wide spread and serious problem. Now the problem I have with all this publicity is this: Domestic violence is a pattern crime ~ It is not a one-time crime. On the CBS site they have an expert who says Saban should have known this.

My point is that Taylor was going to do it again, statistically, whether he got a second chance or not.

The second chance just simply did not work and makes UA look bad, but did not make things worse: It was going to happen again anyway. Maybe the powers that be will look at stats on crimes next time, before they give second chances.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
My wife works with domestic violence and it is a wide spread and serious problem. Now the problem I have with all this publicity is this: Domestic violence is a pattern crime ~ It is not a one-time crime. On the CBS site they have an expert who says Saban should have known this.

My point is that Taylor was going to do it again, statistically, whether he got a second chance or not.

The second chance just simply did not work and makes UA look bad, but did not make things worse: It was going to happen again anyway. Maybe the powers that be will look at stats on crimes next time, before they give second chances.
So, going by statistics (the percentage was not given ), it is guaranteed that a 'Domestic Abuser' will continue abusing? What should be done then? Medications? Castration? Mandatory incarceration? DEATH? Yes, this was one bad chance that was taken by Bama. The victim will recover from her physical damage, not so much with the mental aspect. But what is society to do with Taylor? That's a call I wouldn't want to make.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So, going by statistics (the percentage was not given ), it is guaranteed that a 'Domestic Abuser' will continue abusing?

http://stopyouthviolence.ucr.edu/pubs_by_topic/2.Assessing the Risk.pdf

On page 446, it tells us that in a study done in Colorado in 2004, the risk of reoffending WITHIN EIGHTEEN MONTHS is 53% (greater than half) - keep in mind that this doesn't even address UNREPORTED abuse, which happens even more often.

What should be done then? Medications? Castration? Mandatory incarceration? DEATH? Yes, this was one bad chance that was taken by Bama. The victim will recover from her physical damage, not so much with the mental aspect. But what is society to do with Taylor? That's a call I wouldn't want to make.
It isn't Saban's role to decide the first set of questions, but he does bear the responsibility of the choice.

Some things - child abuse, sexual harrassment, domestic violence - are simply not (in virtually all cases) isolated incidents. For every Warren Moon or Bobby Cox you can cite (singular instances), I can cite ten Lawrence Phillips and Wayne Simmons.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.