And now Jonathan Taylor....again

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Coach Saban made a mistake but remember it was not just his decision - it was the decision from the university as well - meaning Coach Battle and (I assume) other members of the school.

Also - before you beat up Coach Saban - try to keep things in perspective. This is not typical of Coach Saban (making mistakes). Look at the other thread here about his 9 year term thus far with the university...and tell me again how many times has something like this happened in all those 9 years? So let's say it was a mistake and leave it at that - why take it any further.....I'm sure (knowing the man's character and integrity) he feels worse about it than anyone.

The worse part about this is the embarrassing publicity (thanks to the off season and the parasitic media) but that will blow over in a few days.

Coach and the others involved made an error but in the grand scheme of things (IMHO) they were trying to salvage this kid's life and it backfired. At least no one was killed in the incident.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
So what did he do?Why do i have to click a link to find out?
Clicking a link is too much trouble for you? In my day, if we wanted to know what a player did to get booted off the team, we had to get dressed, get in the car, go to the convenience store, pay 75 cents for a newspaper, pull out the sports section and search for an article on it. AND, WE LIKED IT!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Coach and the others involved made an error but in the grand scheme of things (IMHO) they were trying to salvage this kid's life and it backfired. At least no one was killed in the incident.
This was the part that most bothered me. Saban got all indignant at a press conference shortly before the signing of Taylor was announced. He was defending giving troubled young men a second chance in reference to DJ, but many later speculated Taylor was on his mind as well.

Bringing in Taylor was done for one reason...we could really use him on the line. To try to deflect criticism from that decision the way Saban did was, in my opinion, a little insulting.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Clicking a link is too much trouble for you? In my day, if we wanted to know what a player did to get booted off the team, we had to get dressed, get in the car, go to the convenience store, pay 75 cents for a newspaper, pull out the sports section and search for an article on it. AND, WE LIKED IT!

I do miss the like button on TF.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
i did a lot of dumb stuff as a kid, but none of it rose to the level of beating a woman...and getting arrested for it twice.
Well good for you. You're a fine American and all that.

Obviously the feigned outrage of the day didn't destroy you.

Coaches that have hoisted 4 Crystal Trophies are rarer than one might think. I sure hope we can keep ours a while longer.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
What made this different for me from the start is that this player had pending charges against him in another state. Let's assume he had made it to the summer before abusing another woman. What was the plan if he was convicted by a Georgia court?

How we could justify keeping him then? That's what made this different from Pettway and why it didn't seem sensible.

More on the pending charges.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
So, going by statistics (the percentage was not given ), it is guaranteed that a 'Domestic Abuser' will continue abusing? What should be done then? Medications? Castration? Mandatory incarceration? DEATH? Yes, this was one bad chance that was taken by Bama. The victim will recover from her physical damage, not so much with the mental aspect. But what is society to do with Taylor? That's a call I wouldn't want to make.
It is not guaranteed, but highly likely. Myself, I would not give second chances to DV for this reason.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
This was the part that most bothered me. Saban got all indignant at a press conference shortly before the signing of Taylor was announced. He was defending giving troubled young men a second chance in reference to DJ, but many later speculated Taylor was on his mind as well.

Bringing in Taylor was done for one reason...we could really use him on the line. To try to deflect criticism from that decision the way Saban did was, in my opinion, a little insulting.
he's a fantastic football coach, one of the best ever...but he can be quite the blow hard at times.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Well good for you. You're a fine American and all that.

Obviously the feigned outrage of the day didn't destroy you.

Coaches that have hoisted 4 Crystal Trophies are rarer than one might think. I sure hope we can keep ours a while longer.
i have to say that i honestly don't understand anything in your post.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
If you're analyzing the scholarship offer solely on a risk vs. reward basis then Taylor shouldn't have been offered a scholarship to attend The University of Alabama. Some cases don't fit neatly into a risk matrix though. CNS recruited this young man out of high school, likely developed a relationship with he and his family, and, hopefully, thought he could help.

It's natural for intelligent people, familiar with the media and coach speak, to be cynical when it comes to matters like these. I am. But I'm going to take what Coach says about his reasons for preferring college coaching to coaching in the NFL at face value because I believe he could be successful in the pros; he wants to make an impact in young men's lives. Watch his impassioned press conference about "second chances" and tell me he doesn't believe he's doing the right thing.

The HC at UA must win. Most of us would like to think that CNS's desire for "everyone associated with the program to be better off bc of that association" isn't just hot air. I'd probably feel differently about it if DT were a position of "need" for 2015, but we're loaded. This feels to me like a case where the player needed the team more than the team needed the player. If CNS thought he was helping, then good on him. It's a shame Jonathan Taylor didn't capitalize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
*like*

I was going to post something to this effect. You said it better than I would. Yes it was a mistake, but it was more of a mistake for Taylor than Coach Saban.

It appears that Coach Saban knew another side of Taylor from recruiting him. That side did not win out. Whether or not this affects giving another player an opportunity is yet to be seen.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Ballguy, nobody is saying the coach is doing anything less than a superb job, but nobody is above criticism. This isn't a monarchy, and this one stunk from the outset.
It stunk because something happened. If he would have played lights out and never got into any other trouble again, everyone would be saying great things about the player and the coach. Too many Captain Hindsights in my opinion.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Let's be honest here. Kids who have done similar things have been given second chances before and used that opportunity to clean up their lives. It happened long before media ever go this big and it's directly related to the talent someone had to perform on a field/court. It happens today with jobs - a talented employee is usually going to have a longer rope than others. Not justifying it or trying to give a ready-made excuse, but let's not pretend this doesn't happen or hasn't happened in most programs.

THIS, in my opinion, is what we're seeing today. A lot of people in the media hate CNS - that's likely an understatement - they DESPISE CNS. He regularly tells the media what they should/shouldn't do - and though he's usually right, they hold a grudge. As a result, they long for opportunities to take potshots at him and the program he represents. And... if they can use the latest high-profile crime and attach it to CNS to attempt to smear his image, they'll do it (and are doing it right now). Case in point this very quote - "This (crime) is on Nick Saban."

Really? So CNS deserves to shoulder the responsibility here? I'm not saying he didn't have a role in things, but really? To say, as the lead reporter for Bleacher Report does, that this situation completely "tarnishes everything Saban has done at UA" is a GROSS overstatement. Watch this situation play out over the next few days... a lot of reporters are going to use this platform to attempt to gain a greater following. Just like politicians who use a tragedy for personal benefits, they'll use this story to garner attention to their work - knowing that the particular transgression will automatically get people in their corner.

Let's be honest about what this is. It's a talented CFB player continuing a terrible trend. It's a coach who tries to help players move beyond mistakes striking out in this case. And it's a BUNCH of media folks who are exploiting the situation for their own gain.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Like, Love this post.

Let's be honest here. Kids who have done similar things have been given second chances before and used that opportunity to clean up their lives. It happened long before media ever go this big and it's directly related to the talent someone had to perform on a field/court. It happens today with jobs - a talented employee is usually going to have a longer rope than others. Not justifying it or trying to give a ready-made excuse, but let's not pretend this doesn't happen or hasn't happened in most programs.

THIS, in my opinion, is what we're seeing today. A lot of people in the media hate CNS - that's likely an understatement - they DESPISE CNS. He regularly tells the media what they should/shouldn't do - and though he's usually right, they hold a grudge. As a result, they long for opportunities to take potshots at him and the program he represents. And... if they can use the latest high-profile crime and attach it to CNS to attempt to smear his image, they'll do it (and are doing it right now). Case in point this very quote - "This (crime) is on Nick Saban."

Really? So CNS deserves to shoulder the responsibility here? I'm not saying he didn't have a role in things, but really? To say, as the lead reporter for Bleacher Report does, that this situation completely "tarnishes everything Saban has done at UA" is a GROSS overstatement. Watch this situation play out over the next few days... a lot of reporters are going to use this platform to attempt to gain a greater following. Just like politicians who use a tragedy for personal benefits, they'll use this story to garner attention to their work - knowing that the particular transgression will automatically get people in their corner.

Let's be honest about what this is. It's a talented CFB player continuing a terrible trend. It's a coach who tries to help players move beyond mistakes striking out in this case. And it's a BUNCH of media folks who are exploiting the situation for their own gain.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.