And now Jonathan Taylor....again

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
Saban's press conference just made it worse.He's clearly clueless about domestic violence,saying Taylor is still a good person,good grief.

Last edited:

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Why does every coach always have to say that every player is a good person? I'm sorry but Taylor is not a good person in my book but, whatever coach. I disagree with how all of this played out, starting with the kids signing in the first place but, it's time to move on. RTR!

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I don't believe he made a mistake. He gave a kid a second chance and that kid screwed it up. That doesn't put the onus on Saban, it puts it on the kid. Will the media portray it differently? I'm sure they will. but if there is one life lesson that I have adopted from the CNS philosophy it's that we do the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing and nothing else. CNS has earned the right to take a flier on a kid and take the heat if it goes bad. I hate that the young man made another mistake but I support CNS decision to extend the offer in the first place.
like / thank

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Rich, there are a bunch of lifelong Alabama fans who were never comfortable with this from the start.

Imagine this scenario: A scholarship football player for the University of Alabama sitting in a Georgia courtroom while his former girlfriend describes how he choked her, threw her around, and hit her with a closed fist.

That's what Taylor -- and our program -- faced under the best of circumstances. Did we think that was all going away? Taylor's signing didn't make sense.

Talented football players will get second chances, gotcha. But in the future, how about we make sure we don't sign those who face jail time while they're under our watch. The heat we're getting now would be the flick of a match compared to what was waiting when Taylor went before a judge.

As for the media, I think we overstate reporter animus toward CNS. He's the biggest name in the sport. Everything he says, every decision he makes is news. 'Hatred" aside, why would the Taylor situation be different?

Some of the people writing these days are fools. But folks like Schlabach know their stuff, have written highly flattering pieces about Saban and Alabama, and have earned the right to comment on how badly the Taylor decision turned out.
Thank you for this post.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
A lot of people said going in that if this ended badly CNS would take the heat for it, and that's exactly what has happened. CNS hitched himself to Jonathan Taylor when he allowed him to come here, whether he intended to or not. CNS will continue to be raked over coals for a while over this, and there's nothing that will change that.

The bigger issue I have with it is that somebody's daughter got beat up by somebody that was brought here by CNS and the University with a history of DV. The risk of that happening was not worth the risk of giving him a 2nd a chance, IMO.

The lesser issue is that we lost out on Isaiah Prince because the numbers got tight and the staff wouldn't let him commit when he wanted. This prompted him to back off and visit tOSU, and we lost out an OT, that was/is a big position need for us.

At the end of day, this waste of space's 2nd chance got a girl beat up, tarnished CNS and the University's image, and potentially cost us a great player. I love CNS, but hope he learns from this that you can't save everybody and that some people just aren't worth the risk.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
A lot of people said going in that if this ended badly CNS would take the heat for it, and that's exactly what has happened. CNS hitched himself to Jonathan Taylor when he allowed him to come here, whether he intended to or not. CNS will continue to be raked over coals for a while over this, and there's nothing that will change that.

The bigger issue I have with it is that somebody's daughter got beat up by somebody that was brought here by CNS and the University with a history of DV. The risk of that happening was not worth the risk of giving him a 2nd a chance, IMO.

The lesser issue is that we lost out on Isaiah Prince because the numbers got tight and the staff wouldn't let him commit when he wanted. This prompted him to back off and visit tOSU, and we lost out an OT, that was/is a big position need for us.

At the end of day, this waste of space's 2nd chance got a girl beat up, tarnished CNS and the University's image, and potentially cost us a great player. I love CNS, but hope he learns from this that you can't save everybody and that some people just aren't worth the risk.
Good post. That seems to be something lost on many here. Why give a spot to someone of questionable character when there are many others with great athletic ability that have done things the right way?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that I understand why Saban refuses to demonize Taylor right now. If Taylor doesn't have someone in his corner, he could really disappear into a dark place. Saban feels something for Taylor and refuses to abandon him in spite of the criticism that he knows will come from this decision. I see this as a sign of Saban's character, not an ego problem.

I can't speak to Taylor as a good person/bad person. I just have no idea. I have known good men and women who had problems that led to unacceptable actions. With help, maybe Taylor can overcome his problems. But when the problems lead to repeated violence against anyone, it is time to leave all forms of violence in the past - and football is about as violent as you can get in a sport.

I hope that Taylor finds what he needs before he really hurts someone.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I haven't seen the victim described as a student, so I'm guessing she isn't. That gives Saban a little relief...it would have been more difficult to deal with if a football player beat on another student. Especially given the circumstances.

I was sorry but not surprised at Saban's attitude during the press conference. Never backing down or showing any contrition didn't serve him well, in my opinion.

Why couldn't he just say "I made a mistake recruiting a guy with two pending felonies to represent Alabama on the football field. Some things should be elevated over winning, and I plan to never let this happen again. I'm sorry, I made a mistake."

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Yes! Coach Saban caused JT to inflict minor injuries on the throat of the female (which is inexcusable) and punch a hole out on a door. He is bad for the University. He is not contrite enough. He makes bad decisions in trying to help kids he thinks can be turned around and lead constructive lives. He NEEDS TO GO! Immediately. Fire him, and maybe Bill Curry will be available to coach Bama. But Coach Saban has shown repeatedly, time after time, of recruiting players that wind up being dismissed because of CNS's poor judgment. I just don't know how the University can allow such a poor judge of character, in bringing such pain, embarrassment, and absolute disgrace to Bama, to remain as Head Coach. He must go...immediately. It's Coach Saban's fault that the female was injured by JT. JT is not responsible for his actions. Coach Saban knew he was a snake when he let him in the house. So he shouldn't be surprised when the snake bites someone.

Really though, fellow Tiders, I just don't know what some of you want CNS to do. And if what he has done and said in response to this act of violence is not good enough, then maybe you should ask him to resign. But I have to tell you, I'd have to vote no on that proposal. Now I'm done with this. Roll Tide!

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yes! Coach Saban caused JT to inflict minor injuries on the throat of the female (which is inexcusable) and punch a hole out on a door. He is bad for the University. He is not contrite enough. He makes bad decisions in trying to help kids he thinks can be turned around and lead constructive lives. He NEEDS TO GO! Immediately. Fire him, and maybe Bill Curry will be available to coach Bama. But Coach Saban has shown repeatedly, time after time, of recruiting players that wind up being dismissed because of CNS's poor judgment. I just don't know how the University can allow such a poor judge of character, in bringing such pain, embarrassment, and absolute disgrace to Bama, to remain as Head Coach. He must go...immediately. It's Coach Saban's fault that the female was injured by JT. JT is not responsible for his actions. Coach Saban knew he was a snake when he let him in the house. So he shouldn't be surprised when the snake bites someone.

Really though, fellow Tiders, I just don't know what some of you want CNS to do. And if what he has done and said in response to this act of violence is not good enough, then maybe you should ask him to resign. But I have to tell you, I'd have to vote no on that proposal. Now I'm done with this. Roll Tide!
As others have repeatedly pointed out...it's possible to criticize a poor decision and still retain confidence and a wish for Saban to continue to coach at Bama. We sure don't want to run him off...as Saban made very clear to the administration and fan base, there are schools like Texas that would snap him up in a heartbeat.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
As others have repeatedly pointed out...it's possible to criticize a poor decision and still retain confidence and a wish for Saban to continue to coach at Bama. We sure don't want to run him off...as Saban made very clear to the administration and fan base, there are schools like Texas that would snap him up in a heartbeat.
I like your response, and I thank you for it. I just think that CNS is just as embarrassed by JT's actions as we all are. But, to a further extent, I think CNS feels a more personal hurt than what it would appear at a Press Conference. I believe he is kicking his own hind parts a lot harder than what his detractors are inflicting upon him. And as far as the PC goes...I think we all know how much he loves those. Really, I think this hurts CNS personally a lot more than a lot of people think.

Roll Tide!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.